Re: IE8 & Security Certificates

[Crosspost to IE General]

Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

When did you install IE8? (IE8 Final was released on 19 March 2009.)

If you're running WinXP SP2 or SP3: Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
| Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any Critical Security Updates offered
(i.e., KB972260). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the Optional
Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE8's enhanced
security and, hopefully, to address the behavior you describe.

NB: Root Certificate updates are usually released every 2 or 3 months. Such
updates will NOT be offered via Automatic Updates to WinXP computers.
www.banthecheck.com

Bonzo wrote:
> Since "upgrading" from IE7 to IE8 (I don't recall being warned that it was
> "beta"!) I've experienced an upsurge in security certificate warnings when
> trying to make purchases. The warnings arise for sites that I know
> (think?)
> are OK & they contain info that appears to be inconsistent with itself.
>
> Example.
> Site: IronmongeryOnline.com
> On proceeding to checkout, IE8 warns that the cert is not OK & recommends
> the page be closed.
>
> This site is doing business as usual and is unaware of any cert problem.
> On viewing the cert, the following inconsistent info appears on the
> various
> tabs:
>
> "This cert cannot be verified up to a trusted cert authority."
> " Cert issued by: Equifax Secure Global eBusiness CA-1."
> " This cert is OK."
>
> Has anyone else had this problem with IE8?

Bonzo

Re: IE8 & Security Certificates
Hi Rob,

Sorry - I should've known better!
I'm using Vista HP SP2 (32 bit) & all updates as of 09Sep2009.
I installed IE8 well after March.
Does this change your advice?
--
Bonzo

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crosspost to IE General]
>
> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> When did you install IE8? (IE8 Final was released on 19 March 2009.)
>
> If you're running WinXP SP2 or SP3: Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
> | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any Critical Security Updates offered
> (i.e., KB972260). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the Optional
> Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE8's enhanced
> security and, hopefully, to address the behavior you describe.
>
> NB: Root Certificate updates are usually released every 2 or 3 months. Such
> updates will NOT be offered via Automatic Updates to WinXP computers.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> Bonzo wrote:
> > Since "upgrading" from IE7 to IE8 (I don't recall being warned that it was
> > "beta"!) I've experienced an upsurge in security certificate warnings when
> > trying to make purchases. The warnings arise for sites that I know
> > (think?)
> > are OK & they contain info that appears to be inconsistent with itself.
> >
> > Example.
> > Site: IronmongeryOnline.com
> > On proceeding to checkout, IE8 warns that the cert is not OK & recommends
> > the page be closed.
> >
> > This site is doing business as usual and is unaware of any cert problem.
> > On viewing the cert, the following inconsistent info appears on the
> > various
> > tabs:
> >
> > "This cert cannot be verified up to a trusted cert authority."
> > " Cert issued by: Equifax Secure Global eBusiness CA-1."
> > " This cert is OK."
> >
> > Has anyone else had this problem with IE8?

Re: IE8 & Security Certificates
> I'm using Vista HP SP2 (32 bit) & all updates as of 09Sep2009.

One would hope you meant "as of 09 August 2009". <wink>

Root Certificates updates are automatically download/installed by AU in
Vista. Assuming the box is fully-patched, we shall assume that the most
recent Root Certificates update (26 May-09) is installed.

I assume you're referring to http://www.ironmongeryonline.com and not
http://ironmongeryonline.com

>>> On proceeding to checkout, IE8 warns that the cert is not OK &
>>> recommends
>>> the page be closed.

Assuming the checkout here
https://www.ironmongeryonline.com/cl...khxc/index.php, I can't really
test the behavior for you since I'm not Registered and don't plan on doing
so, sorry. Perhaps someone else reading your thread can do so.

>>> This site is doing business as usual and is unaware of any cert problem.
>>> On viewing the cert, the following inconsistent info appears on the
>>> various
>>> tabs:
>>>
>>> "This cert cannot be verified up to a trusted cert authority."
>>> " Cert issued by: Equifax Secure Global eBusiness CA-1."
>>> " This cert is OK."

This can be a very complex situation to troubleshoot. Complexities include
how your computer's connected to the internet (e.g., behind a proxy or
corporate firewall). Reference (somewhat outdated):
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...88(WS.10).aspx

One of the less-involved steps you might take to resolve this is doing a
Reset; cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Then again, I'd expect another Root Certificates update to be available very
soon so that might fix it "automagically."

In short: If you're confident that everything's on the up & up with that
online shopping page, your computer date, time, *and time zone* settings are
correct, and you've done business with them online before, proceed...with
caution.