A Few Sites Don't Retain Their Cookies on My Computer After A Rebo

Jack

A Few Sites Don't Retain Their Cookies on My Computer After A Rebo
This issue applies to both versions of IE7 and IE 8. There are two sites
that my family and I go to that do not hold their cookie information after a
reboot. One of those sites is the Flex MLS Real Estate Program. In this
instance, the cookies will hold when the browser session ends, when the
browser session opens, but once the computer is rebooted, we have to log in
again with our user-name and Password. Checking, "Remember my Password."
only remembers it until the next reboot. This issue with the MLS site has
occurred for about nine months.

Another unrelated site that I visit does not hold the cookies at all. Just
closing the browser deletes them. I went through everything with the
registration people on the site. Things such as cleaning the cache, history,
and temp files, and no matter what I did, my cookies would not hold.

However, out of the 100's of sites I frequent with log in information in IE
7, and IE 8, the cookies hold just fine. It are only these two sites that
don't like to store cookies. Oh and btw going into IE's cookie settings,
putting the URL in of the stubborn cookie holding sites and selecting,
"Always Allow" has no effect. I do not mind the forced re-log in after a
reboot. This is probably better for security anyway. But why these sites
and no others that are acting like this?

If I wanted to, what else could I try to do to get log in information to
hold at these sites following a reboot?
VanguardLH

Re: A Few Sites Don't Retain Their Cookies on My Computer After A Rebo
Jack wrote:

> This issue applies to both versions of IE7 and IE 8. There are two
> sites that my family and I go to that do not hold their cookie
> information after a reboot. One of those sites is the Flex MLS Real
> Estate Program. In this instance, the cookies will hold when the
> browser session ends, when the browser session opens, but once the
> computer is rebooted, we have to log in again with our user-name and
> Password. Checking, "Remember my Password." only remembers it until
> the next reboot. This issue with the MLS site has occurred for about
> nine months.

You are saying the during your Windows session that the cookie remains
available but it disappears on a reboot? If so, not an IE problem
since IE wasn't running. You have security software (anti-virus,
anti-malware, firewall, HIPS, etc) or cleanup software that is wiping
your Cookies folder.

> Another unrelated site that I visit does not hold the cookies at all.
> Just closing the browser deletes them. I went through everything
> with the registration people on the site. Things such as cleaning
> the cache, history, and temp files, and no matter what I did, my
> cookies would not hold.

Internet Options -> General tab. Is the option enabled to delete your
browsing history on exit? If so, maybe you want to disable that option
(which means you have to do the cleanup yourself at periodic
intervals). If you do want the cleanup to occur everytime you exit IE8
but you do not want to lose the cookies for sites in your Favorites
list then enable the Preserve option. Of course, Preserve only works
to preserve the TIF files, including cookies, for those sites listed in
your Favorites.

> However, out of the 100's of sites I frequent with log in information
> in IE 7, and IE 8, the cookies hold just fine. It are only these two
> sites that don't like to store cookies.

Are those HTTPS (secured) sites? To be secure, an HTTPS site should
never be using the login credentials saved in a .txt cookie file.

> If I wanted to, what else could I try to do to get log in information
> to hold at these sites following a reboot?

There are add-ons for IE that automatically pre-fill in login
credentials. One is Roboform (but is severely crippled in its free
version to only save a maximum of 10 logins). Some of them are adware
(don't recall its name but it appeared as a toolbar and wouldn't
function if you hid its toolbar).