Re: Websites freeze: why?

[Crosspost to IE General newsgroup]

Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) and IE version.

What Norton application is installed (e.g., NIS 2007) and is your
subscription current? Was a Norton free trial preinstalled on the computer
when you bought it?
www.banthecheck.com

Phil James wrote:
> Toshiba Satellite A105-S4344 running Windows XP
>
> This used to happen occasionally, but now it's much more often. I go to a
> website and start working, and all of a sudden everything freezes. I
> can't
> page down; I can't exit; I can't do anything. I have to call up
> ctrl-alt-del to get it cancelled -- and that takes a long time. I'm not
> aware of having added any new software or anything, but programs like my
> Norton security package do that all the time.
>
> Is this something that commonly happens and there's one or more ways to
> try
> to fix it? It's driving me nuts!

ChrisC

Re: Websites freeze: why?
The same thing is happening to me; I posted but have had no replies. I have
Vista HP and an up-to-date Norton anti-virus. Mine will either begin a
go-slow before seizing, or will suddenly freeze. When it first started I
couldn't do anything. My solution was simply to hit the Windows key and open
another browser. After a while, going back to the freezed page and clicking
Close, I got the Doesn't respond dialogue with the option to restart the page
or close it. More recently however, I find I am able to compress the page
before opening a new browser. Then when I go back to the old one, it is
usually working again.
But thinking about, I believe this was also happening to me before I
installed IE8.
Very odd. Could it be Norton that is doing this?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crosspost to IE General newsgroup]
>
> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) and IE version.
>
> What Norton application is installed (e.g., NIS 2007) and is your
> subscription current? Was a Norton free trial preinstalled on the computer
> when you bought it?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> Phil James wrote:
> > Toshiba Satellite A105-S4344 running Windows XP
> >
> > This used to happen occasionally, but now it's much more often. I go to a
> > website and start working, and all of a sudden everything freezes. I
> > can't
> > page down; I can't exit; I can't do anything. I have to call up
> > ctrl-alt-del to get it cancelled -- and that takes a long time. I'm not
> > aware of having added any new software or anything, but programs like my
> > Norton security package do that all the time.
> >
> > Is this something that commonly happens and there's one or more ways to
> > try
> > to fix it? It's driving me nuts!

Phil James

Re: Websites freeze: why?

Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 SP3 Build 2600
IE 8.0.6001.18702
NIS 2009? Current

When I bought the computer I had NIS installed by the dealer, so I don't
know if there was a free Norton trial.

I think the change to IE 8 was fairly recent, and this problem may have
begun about then.

Phil

> [Crosspost to IE General newsgroup]
>
> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) and IE version.
>
> What Norton application is installed (e.g., NIS 2007) and is your
> subscription current? Was a Norton free trial preinstalled on the
> computer when you bought it?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> Phil James wrote:
>> Toshiba Satellite A105-S4344 running Windows XP
>>
>> This used to happen occasionally, but now it's much more often. I go to
>> website and start working, and all of a sudden everything freezes. I
>> can't
>> page down; I can't exit; I can't do anything. I have to call up
>> ctrl-alt-del to get it cancelled -- and that takes a long time. I'm not
>> aware of having added any new software or anything, but programs like my
>> Norton security package do that all the time.
>>
>> Is this something that commonly happens and there's one or more ways to
>> try
>> to fix it? It's driving me nuts!

Phil James

Re: Websites freeze: why?

Chris...

Come to think of it, I've just recently had a "go-round" with Norton about
some stuff in order to bring my subscription current.

Can't recall if this freezing was happening before IE 8 and NIS 2009, but it
has certainly been worse since!

Phil

"ChrisC" <ChrisC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The same thing is happening to me; I posted but have had no replies. I
> have
> Vista HP and an up-to-date Norton anti-virus. Mine will either begin a
> go-slow before seizing, or will suddenly freeze. When it first started I
> couldn't do anything. My solution was simply to hit the Windows key and
> open
> another browser. After a while, going back to the freezed page and
> clicking
> Close, I got the Doesn't respond dialogue with the option to restart the
> page
> or close it. More recently however, I find I am able to compress the page
> before opening a new browser. Then when I go back to the old one, it is
> usually working again.
> But thinking about, I believe this was also happening to me before I
> installed IE8.
> Very odd. Could it be Norton that is doing this?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> [Crosspost to IE General newsgroup]
>>
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) and IE version.
>>
>> What Norton application is installed (e.g., NIS 2007) and is your
>> subscription current? Was a Norton free trial preinstalled on the
>> computer
>> when you bought it?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> Phil James wrote:
>> > Toshiba Satellite A105-S4344 running Windows XP
>> >
>> > This used to happen occasionally, but now it's much more often. I go
>> > to a
>> > website and start working, and all of a sudden everything freezes. I
>> > can't
>> > page down; I can't exit; I can't do anything. I have to call up
>> > ctrl-alt-del to get it cancelled -- and that takes a long time. I'm
>> > not
>> > aware of having added any new software or anything, but programs like
>> > my
>> > Norton security package do that all the time.
>> >
>> > Is this something that commonly happens and there's one or more ways to
>> > try
>> > to fix it? It's driving me nuts!

Re: Websites freeze: why?
IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

4a. Are you running NIS 2009 v3.x? Did you upgrade to NIS 2009 from, e.g.,
NIS 2007?

4b. Did you disable all NIS components (i.e., anti-virus; anti-spyware;
firewall; installed/enabled Norton Add-ons) and then enable the Windows
Firewall prior to installing IE8?

5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

Phil James wrote:
> Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 SP3 Build 2600
> IE 8.0.6001.18702
> NIS 2009? Current
>
> When I bought the computer I had NIS installed by the dealer, so I don't
> know if there was a free Norton trial.
>
> I think the change to IE 8 was fairly recent, and this problem may have
> begun about then.
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> [Crosspost to IE General newsgroup]
>>
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) and IE version.
>>
>> What Norton application is installed (e.g., NIS 2007) and is your
>> subscription current? Was a Norton free trial preinstalled on the
>> computer when you bought it?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> Phil James wrote:
>>> Toshiba Satellite A105-S4344 running Windows XP
>>>
>>> This used to happen occasionally, but now it's much more often. I go to
>>> a website and start working, and all of a sudden everything freezes. I
>>> can't page down; I can't exit; I can't do anything. I have to call up
>>> ctrl-alt-del to get it cancelled -- and that takes a long time. I'm not
>>> aware of having added any new software or anything, but programs like my
>>> Norton security package do that all the time.
>>>
>>> Is this something that commonly happens and there's one or more ways to
>>> try to fix it? It's driving me nuts!

Re: Websites freeze: why?
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific problems.
State your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2)
in your first post.

ChrisC wrote:
> The same thing is happening to me; I posted but have had no replies. I
> have
> Vista HP and an up-to-date Norton anti-virus. Mine will either begin a
> go-slow before seizing, or will suddenly freeze. When it first started I
> couldn't do anything. My solution was simply to hit the Windows key and
> open another browser. After a while, going back to the freezed page and
> clicking Close, I got the Doesn't respond dialogue with the option to
> restart the page or close it. More recently however, I find I am able to
> compress the page before opening a new browser. Then when I go back to
> the
> old one, it is usually working again.
> But thinking about, I believe this was also happening to me before I
> installed IE8.
> Very odd. Could it be Norton that is doing this?

<SNIP>