IE8 doesn't seem able to download very large 1Gb+ files

BBCM

IE8 doesn't seem able to download very large 1Gb+ files
Just a comment and suggestion:

I like IE8, but it seems to have trouble downloading files larger than 1 Gb
(of which there seem to be more and more these days). In particular, it
doesn't seem to recognize file size larger than 1 Gb, and will often stall
and stop downloading such large files before completion. Note this doesn't
seem to be a problem for Firefox - but I don't like Firefox for other
reasons, and prefer IE.

While there are various third party download managers on the market for
handling large file downloads. most seem to be filled with spyware or various
viruses.

So just a suggestion to either modify IE8 to allow it to recognize and
successfully complete such larger downloads, or else for MS to come out with
their own download manager for handling such larger downloads.

Thanks - Bob

Re: IE8 doesn't seem able to download very large 1Gb+ files
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

Were you seeing this behavior prior to installing IE8?
www.banthecheck.com

BBCM wrote:
> Just a comment and suggestion:
>
> I like IE8, but it seems to have trouble downloading files larger than 1
> Gb
> (of which there seem to be more and more these days). In particular, it
> doesn't seem to recognize file size larger than 1 Gb, and will often stall
> and stop downloading such large files before completion. Note this
> doesn't
> seem to be a problem for Firefox - but I don't like Firefox for other
> reasons, and prefer IE.
>
> While there are various third party download managers on the market for
> handling large file downloads. most seem to be filled with spyware or
> various viruses.
>
> So just a suggestion to either modify IE8 to allow it to recognize and
> successfully complete such larger downloads, or else for MS to come out
> with
> their own download manager for handling such larger downloads.
>
> Thanks - Bob

VanguardLH

BBCM wrote:

> Just a comment and suggestion:
>
> I like IE8, but it seems to have trouble downloading files larger than 1 Gb
> (of which there seem to be more and more these days). In particular, it
> doesn't seem to recognize file size larger than 1 Gb, and will often stall
> and stop downloading such large files before completion. Note this doesn't
> seem to be a problem for Firefox - but I don't like Firefox for other
> reasons, and prefer IE.
>
> While there are various third party download managers on the market for
> handling large file downloads. most seem to be filled with spyware or various
> viruses.
>
> So just a suggestion to either modify IE8 to allow it to recognize and
> successfully complete such larger downloads, or else for MS to come out with
> their own download manager for handling such larger downloads.
>
> Thanks - Bob

And an example web page with an over 1GB download might be? Then, as
other IE8 users, we could test if we hit the same problem.
Abe

Re: IE8 doesn't seem able to download very large 1Gb+ files
I'm having a similiar issue. Was running Media Center XP SP2 with IE7, and I
was avoiding the move to SP3 and IE8. I just wiped my drive and went directly
to SP3 and IE8, which works without issue most of the time. However, I
frequently have stalling issues on anything over 100Mb. I've tried every
website I can find with files that large and it continues to be an issue,
something I did not experience prior to the migration. Also running a Dell
XPS 140, 2GHz Pentium, 1G RAM.