IE8 setup problem - Entery Point Not Found

Alex

IE8 setup problem - Entery Point Not Found
I downloaded IE8, when I tried to open it I gor the following error message:

Entry Point not found: The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be
located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll

Can anyone explain what this means and is there anything I can do?

Thank you.
VanguardLH

Re: IE8 setup problem - Entery Point Not Found
Alex wrote:

> I downloaded IE8, when I tried to open it I gor the following error message:
>
> Entry Point not found: The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be
> located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888162
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972264

Got the latest service pack installed?

Re: IE8 setup problem - Entery Point Not Found
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup. In this case, also state your previous IE
version (e.g., IE7; IE6).
www.banthecheck.com

Alex wrote:
> I downloaded IE8, when I tried to open it I gor the following error
> message:
>
> Entry Point not found: The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not
> be
> located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll
>
> Can anyone explain what this means and is there anything I can do?
>
> Thank you.

Karen

Re: IE8 setup problem - Entery Point Not Found
I am having the same problem as Alex. I believe I am running XP SP2 and have
no idea what ver of IE I am running. Can you tell me how to find out this
info so that you can further assist me with this error msg?

Thanks PA Bear

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
> posting to this newsgroup. In this case, also state your previous IE
> version (e.g., IE7; IE6).
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> Alex wrote:
> > I downloaded IE8, when I tried to open it I gor the following error
> > message:
> >
> > Entry Point not found: The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not
> > be
> > located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll
> >
> > Can anyone explain what this means and is there anything I can do?
> >
> > Thank you.

Karen

Re: IE8 setup problem - Entery Point Not Found
I found out that I am running windows xp 5.1 sp1 IE build 6.0 2800.1106 128
bit encryption.

Originally my laptop blew up, I reformatted and reloaded my windows. Next,
my modem wouldn't iniatilize so I bought a external modem and that is how I
got online...I am on dialup.

Next, I've been upgrading & uploading prgms like IE to make my system
function better. I'm sorta green at this stuff but have nothing to lose and
am trying to make my old notebook work since I really can't afford a new one
at the moment.

Any suggestions you can offer me up would be greatly appreciated. I thought
that I upgraded to service pak 2 last nite...but not according the what I am
reading on my system info.

Again...thanks!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
> posting to this newsgroup. In this case, also state your previous IE
> version (e.g., IE7; IE6).
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> Alex wrote:
> > I downloaded IE8, when I tried to open it I gor the following error
> > message:
> >
> > Entry Point not found: The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not
> > be
> > located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll
> >
> > Can anyone explain what this means and is there anything I can do?
> >
> > Thank you.

Re: IE8 setup problem - Entery Point Not Found
After the clean install, you have the equivalent of a "new computer" so take
care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting the
machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that isn't
brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx

To get your WinXP SP1 computer fully-patched, see:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b

You may wish to install MS Security Essentials (free) as your
anti-virus/anti-spyware application:
http://www.microsoft.com/security_es...s/default.aspx

Karen wrote:
> I found out that I am running windows xp 5.1 sp1 IE build 6.0 2800.1106
> 128
> bit encryption.
>
> Originally my laptop blew up, I reformatted and reloaded my windows. Next,
> my modem wouldn't iniatilize so I bought a external modem and that is how
> got online...I am on dialup.
>
> Next, I've been upgrading & uploading prgms like IE to make my system
> function better. I'm sorta green at this stuff but have nothing to lose
> and
> am trying to make my old notebook work since I really can't afford a new
> one
> at the moment.
>
> Any suggestions you can offer me up would be greatly appreciated. I
> thought
> that I upgraded to service pak 2 last nite...but not according the what I
> am
> reading on my system info.
>
> Again...thanks!
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
>> when posting to this newsgroup. In this case, also state your previous
>> IE
>> version (e.g., IE7; IE6).
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> Alex wrote:
>>> I downloaded IE8, when I tried to open it I gor the following error
>>> message:
>>>
>>> Entry Point not found: The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could
>>> not
>>> be
>>> located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll
>>>
>>> Can anyone explain what this means and is there anything I can do?
>>>
>>> Thank you.

Karen

Re: IE8 setup problem - Entery Point Not Found
ty, ty, ty...I tried to install sp 2 last nite and it failed saying I had 57
other priority updates to install. But when I go back to needed updates it
just comes up w/service pack 2. This is the 2nd nite in a roll that I tried
to install any needed updates. I will try what you have told me but I'm
having alot of trouble with it. I sure do hate dialup...lol

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> After the clean install, you have the equivalent of a "new computer" so take
> care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting the
> machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that isn't
> brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:
>
> 5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx
>
> To get your WinXP SP1 computer fully-patched, see:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b
>
> You may wish to install MS Security Essentials (free) as your
> anti-virus/anti-spyware application:
> http://www.microsoft.com/security_es...s/default.aspx
>

> Karen wrote:
> > I found out that I am running windows xp 5.1 sp1 IE build 6.0 2800.1106
> > 128
> > bit encryption.
> >
> > Originally my laptop blew up, I reformatted and reloaded my windows. Next,
> > my modem wouldn't iniatilize so I bought a external modem and that is how
> > got online...I am on dialup.
> >
> > Next, I've been upgrading & uploading prgms like IE to make my system
> > function better. I'm sorta green at this stuff but have nothing to lose
> > and
> > am trying to make my old notebook work since I really can't afford a new
> > one
> > at the moment.
> >
> > Any suggestions you can offer me up would be greatly appreciated. I
> > thought
> > that I upgraded to service pak 2 last nite...but not according the what I
> > am
> > reading on my system info.
> >
> > Again...thanks!
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
> >> when posting to this newsgroup. In this case, also state your previous
> >> IE
> >> version (e.g., IE7; IE6).
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> www.banthecheck.com

Re: IE8 setup problem - Entery Point Not Found
You will not be able to use Windows Update or Automatic Updates until you've
installed SP3 installed manually. (Since you're running WinXP SP1 now, you
can skip SP2 altogether.)

4 Steps to Protect Your Computer
http://www.microsoft.com/security/pypc.aspx

Again, you shouldn't be doing ANYTHING else online (e.g., browsing; checking
email; chatting; viewing videos; etc.) until you have:

1. Enabled the Windows Firewall;

2. Gotten the computer fully-patched at Windows Update and enabled Automatic
Updates;

3. Installed a fully-functional, fully-updated anti-virus application; and

4. Installed a fully-functional, fully-updated anti-spyware application.

MS Security Essentials will take care of #3 and #4.
www.banthecheck.com