IE 8 Security Settings Disallow Downloads from Trusted Sites

Mark IV

IE 8 Security Settings Disallow Downloads from Trusted Sites
IE 8 keeps blocking the downloading of executable files (and others) due to
my security settings. I've tried almost everything suggested on another board
to fix the problem but it won't resolve. I've tried booting IE 8 in "no add
on" mode, but that didn't help. I've clicked on the security tab under
"Internet Options" and toggled the security setting bar to its lowest
allowable setting for Trusted Sites to no avail. I've clicked on the "Custom
Level" button and tried to reset "custom setting" to "Low", but everytime I
click OK and close the window, it goes back to the default setting of
"Medium-high." I've looked over all of the individual custom settings in the
window above the "custom setting reset" button, but am not expert enough to
know which individual settings to change. I tried to enable dowloads without
prompts, but that did nothing to fix the problem, and I don't want to fiddle
with other settings when I don't know what they do.

One thing I have NOT yet tried is clicking on the "Advanced" tab under
"Internet Options" and choosing to reset IE 8 to its default settings because
of the warning that I should only do this if the browser is in an unusable
state, which it is not, at least not yet until I put my foot through my
monitor, which is about the be the next thing I try. I keep thinking there
must be a simple fix to this problem, but so far it has eluded me. Whoever
gives me the correct answer gets a gold star! Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. Someone on another board suggested I may have a corrupted user profile,
but he thought I was running Vista (I have XP Service Pack 3). Can this be a
problem with XP as well. If so, could anyone direct me to a How-to on fixing
a corrupted user profile in XP? I have one for Vista, but that's of little
help to me.

Re: IE 8 Security Settings Disallow Downloads from Trusted Sites
1. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

[I'm afraid you're going to have to try this as a diagnostic step.]

2. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?

3a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

3b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

4. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
www.banthecheck.com

Mark IV wrote:
> IE 8 keeps blocking the downloading of executable files (and others) due
> my security settings. I've tried almost everything suggested on another
> board to fix the problem but it won't resolve. I've tried booting IE 8 in
> "no add on" mode, but that didn't help. I've clicked on the security tab
> under "Internet Options" and toggled the security setting bar to its
> lowest
> allowable setting for Trusted Sites to no avail. I've clicked on the
> "Custom
> Level" button and tried to reset "custom setting" to "Low", but everytime
> click OK and close the window, it goes back to the default setting of
> "Medium-high." I've looked over all of the individual custom settings in
> the
> window above the "custom setting reset" button, but am not expert enough
> know which individual settings to change. I tried to enable dowloads
> without
> prompts, but that did nothing to fix the problem, and I don't want to
> fiddle
> with other settings when I don't know what they do.
>
> One thing I have NOT yet tried is clicking on the "Advanced" tab under
> "Internet Options" and choosing to reset IE 8 to its default settings
> because of the warning that I should only do this if the browser is in an
> unusable state, which it is not, at least not yet until I put my foot
> through my monitor, which is about the be the next thing I try. I keep
> thinking there must be a simple fix to this problem, but so far it has
> eluded me. Whoever gives me the correct answer gets a gold star! Thanks in
> advance for your help.
>
> P.S. Someone on another board suggested I may have a corrupted user
> profile,
> but he thought I was running Vista (I have XP Service Pack 3). Can this be
> problem with XP as well. If so, could anyone direct me to a How-to on
> fixing
> a corrupted user profile in XP? I have one for Vista, but that's of little
> help to me.

Mark IV

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>
> [I'm afraid you're going to have to try this as a diagnostic step.]
>
> 2. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>
> 3a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
> IE8?
>
> 3b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>
> 4. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com

1. I haven't tried to reset IE in the advanced settings yet, but will try to
do so to see if it helps.

2. I know how to boot in Safe Mode, but don't know what Safe Mode with
networking is.

3.a. I am running Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 with a current
subscription. I don't know if it is supported in IE 8. It is my sole
Anti-virus, anti-spyware and sole firewall with Windows' firewall disabled
(due to potential conflicts).

3.b. Norton was previously installed on this machine, but I uninstalled it
when I upgraded to Kaspersky. (If it were still active, Kaspersky wouldn't
have downloaded.)

4. I probably have a restore point that predates the upgrade to IE 8, but
I'm not sure. However, I don't want to use it due to my recent upgrade from
Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 to 2010. I'm afraid of potential conflicts
there.

Thanks for your help so far. Sorry about the double post, but I got an
internal server error when I tried to post the first time and didn't think it
went through.

Re: IE 8 Security Settings Disallow Downloads from Trusted Sites
Mark IV wrote:
<paste>
>> IE 8 keeps blocking the downloading of executable files (and others) due
>> my security settings. I've tried almost everything suggested on another
>> board to fix the problem but it won't resolve. I've tried booting IE 8 in
>> "no add on" mode, but that didn't help. I've clicked on the security tab
>> under "Internet Options" and toggled the security setting bar to its
>> lowest
>> allowable setting for Trusted Sites to no avail. I've clicked on the
>> "Custom
>> Level" button and tried to reset "custom setting" to "Low", but everytime
>> click OK and close the window, it goes back to the default setting of
>> "Medium-high." I've looked over all of the individual custom settings in
>> the
>> window above the "custom setting reset" button, but am not expert enough
>> know which individual settings to change. I tried to enable dowloads
>> without
>> prompts, but that did nothing to fix the problem, and I don't want to
>> fiddle
>> with other settings when I don't know what they do.
>>
>> One thing I have NOT yet tried is clicking on the "Advanced" tab under
>> "Internet Options" and choosing to reset IE 8 to its default settings
>> because of the warning that I should only do this if the browser is in an
>> unusable state, which it is not, at least not yet until I put my foot
>> through my monitor, which is about the be the next thing I try. I keep
>> thinking there must be a simple fix to this problem, but so far it has
>> eluded me. Whoever gives me the correct answer gets a gold star! Thanks
>> in
>> advance for your help.
>>
>> P.S. Someone on another board suggested I may have a corrupted user
>> profile,
>> but he thought I was running Vista (I have XP Service Pack 3). Can this
>> be
>> a problem with XP as well. If so, could anyone direct me to a How-to on
>> fixing a corrupted user profile in XP? I have one for Vista, but that's
>> of little
>> help to me.

</paste>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>>
>> [I'm afraid you're going to have to try this as a diagnostic step.]
>>
>> 2. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
>>
>> 3a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
>> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>> installed
>> IE8?
>>
>> 3b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> machine
>>
>> 4. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
>> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

> 1. I haven't tried to reset IE in the advanced settings yet, but will try
> do so to see if it helps.
>
> 2. I know how to boot in Safe Mode, but don't know what Safe Mode with
> networking is.
>
> 3.a. I am running Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 with a current
> subscription. I don't know if it is supported in IE 8. It is my sole
> Anti-virus, anti-spyware and sole firewall with Windows' firewall disabled
> (due to potential conflicts).
>
> 3.b. Norton was previously installed on this machine, but I uninstalled it
> when I upgraded to Kaspersky. (If it were still active, Kaspersky wouldn't
> have downloaded.)
>
> 4. I probably have a restore point that predates the upgrade to IE 8, but
> I'm not sure. However, I don't want to use it due to my recent upgrade
> from
> Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 to 2010. I'm afraid of potential
> conflicts
> there.
>
> Thanks for your help so far. Sorry about the double post, but I got an
> internal server error when I tried to post the first time and didn't think
> it went through.

To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the previous
message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.

A1. Let us know if a Reset resolves the behavior, please.

A2. See...

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

A3a. When (approx. date) did you upgrade from KIS 2009 to KIS 2010?

Did you disable all KIS components (including the firewall) and then enable
to Windows Firewall prior to installing IE8?

A3b. Proceed as follows:

1. Download the Norton Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop:
(Step #2; If in doubt, select "I have a Norton 2007 product" option)

2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the
taskbar).

3. Double-click on the file you saved in #1 above to run the utility. Do
not TOUCH your keyboard or mouse until the run has completed, then reboot.

A4. Please check to see if you do have a Restore Point created on the day
you installed IE8. Again, I'm just asking for now.

Mark IV

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222
>
> A3a. When (approx. date) did you upgrade from KIS 2009 to KIS 2010?
>
> Did you disable all KIS components (including the firewall) and then enable
> to Windows Firewall prior to installing IE8?
>

> A3b. Proceed as follows:
>
> 1. Download the Norton Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop:
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
> (Step #2; If in doubt, select "I have a Norton 2007 product" option)
>
> 2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the
> taskbar).
>
> 3. Double-click on the file you saved in #1 above to run the utility. Do
> not TOUCH your keyboard or mouse until the run has completed, then reboot.
>
> A4. Please check to see if you do have a Restore Point created on the day
> you installed IE8. Again, I'm just asking for now.

A1. Reset my browser and was able to download a previously undownloadable
patch. Don't know if the problem is completely resolved or not until I try to
download others, but this was a good first step. Problem MAY be resolved.

A3a. Uprgraded to KIS 2010 a few days ago. The problem is much older than
that. I did NOT disable KIS 2009 before installing IE 8. It came as part of a
routine security update, and I don't disable my firewall when running
updates.

A3b. KIS 2009 would not have installed if remnants of Norton were still on
my system. I think I already used a Norton removal tool to completely get rid
of it before installing KIS 2009, as was recommended by Kaspersky. Don't want
to run it (Norton removal tool) again due to potential conflicts with KIS
2010.

A4. Don't remember the day I installed IE 8. Could have been as much as one
month ago. Finding a restore point pre-IE8 would be difficult.

Back to A1. Will attempt to download more security patches and will post
here again if situation reoccurs, or if it doesn't. Hopefully, it is
resolved. Thank you.

Mark IV wrote:
> [...]

> of
> a routine security update, and I don't disable my firewall when running
> updates.
>
> A3b. KIS 2009 would not have installed if remnants of Norton were still on
> my system. I think I already used a Norton removal tool to completely get
> rid of it before installing KIS 2009, as was recommended by Kaspersky.
> Don't want to run it (Norton removal tool) again due to potential
> conflicts
> with KIS 2010.
>
> A4. Don't remember the day I installed IE 8. Could have been as much as
> one
> month ago. Finding a restore point pre-IE8 would be difficult.
>
> Back to A1. Will attempt to download more security patches and will post
> here again if situation reoccurs, or if it doesn't. Hopefully, it is

You're welcome & thanks for your feedback. (I wasn't aware that KAV and KIS
2010 were out of beta so thanks for that.)