IE7 - Cannot display the webpage after inputing user data - BENNET

mbennett

IE7 - Cannot display the webpage after inputing user data - BENNET
IE7, Dell 4550 Computer, XP Home Edition, McAfee Virus protection

I can browse the web and visit many sites with no problems until I need to
input some user data. Examples include entering a user name for on-line
banking or webmail. After doing so, I get the message the "Cannot display
the webpage" screen. I have searched the knowledge base and tried the
applicable items from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431 with no success.
I even have to post this using a second computer because I couldn't enter my
password on the affected computer. Please advise.

Re: IE7 - Cannot display the webpage after inputing user data - BENNET
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
this newsgroup.

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

4a. Are you running McAfee Security Center, a freebie from your ISP?

4b. Has another McAfee application or a Norton application ever been
installed on this machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled
when you bought it)?
www.banthecheck.com

mbennett wrote:
> IE7, Dell 4550 Computer, XP Home Edition, McAfee Virus protection
>
> I can browse the web and visit many sites with no problems until I need to
> input some user data. Examples include entering a user name for on-line
> banking or webmail. After doing so, I get the message the "Cannot display
> the webpage" screen. I have searched the knowledge base and tried the
> applicable items from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431 with no
> success. I even have to post this using a second computer because I
> couldn't enter my password on the affected computer. Please advise.

mbennett

Re: IE7 - Cannot display the webpage after inputing user data - BE
Yes, I have SP3, sorry for not providing that information

Re: Item 1, yes I have run IE in No Add-ons Mode -> Problem still occurs
Re: Item 2, I reset IE -> Problem still occurs
Re: Item 3, Problem does not occur in Safe Mode, IE seems to perform fine
Re: Item 4a, I have a subscription version (recently updated) of McAfee
Security Center
Re: Item 4b, Yes, a free trial version of McAfee came bundled on the
computer when purchased (~5 years ago), and I have maintained my subscription
sense. I don't believe I have ever had Norton or any other Virus Protecution.

Lastly, I have run a number of spyware and malware scans with differenct
products but none have fixed the problem.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
> this newsgroup.
>
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).

> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>
> 4a. Are you running McAfee Security Center, a freebie from your ISP?
>
> 4b. Has another McAfee application or a Norton application ever been
> installed on this machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled
> when you bought it)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> mbennett wrote:
> > IE7, Dell 4550 Computer, XP Home Edition, McAfee Virus protection
> >
> > I can browse the web and visit many sites with no problems until I need to
> > input some user data. Examples include entering a user name for on-line
> > banking or webmail. After doing so, I get the message the "Cannot display
> > the webpage" screen. I have searched the knowledge base and tried the
> > applicable items from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431 with no
> > success. I even have to post this using a second computer because I
> > couldn't enter my password on the affected computer. Please advise.

Re: IE7 - Cannot display the webpage after inputing user data - BE
> Re: Item 3, Problem does not occur in Safe Mode, IE seems to perform fine
> Re: Item 4a, I have a subscription version (recently updated) of McAfee
> Security Center
> Re: Item 4b, Yes, a free trial version of McAfee came bundled on the
> computer when purchased (~5 years ago), and I have maintained my
> subscription sense.

McAfee (and Norton) applications are pretty notorious for not upgrading (or
uninstalling) cleanly. After making certain you have a copy of your Product
ID or license at hand, see if this three-step fix resolves the problems:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
www.banthecheck.com

mbennett wrote:
> Yes, I have SP3, sorry for not providing that information
>
> Re: Item 1, yes I have run IE in No Add-ons Mode -> Problem still occurs
> Re: Item 2, I reset IE -> Problem still occurs
> Re: Item 3, Problem does not occur in Safe Mode, IE seems to perform fine
> Re: Item 4a, I have a subscription version (recently updated) of McAfee
> Security Center
> Re: Item 4b, Yes, a free trial version of McAfee came bundled on the
> computer when purchased (~5 years ago), and I have maintained my
> subscription sense. I don't believe I have ever had Norton or any other
> Virus Protecution.
>
> Lastly, I have run a number of spyware and malware scans with differenct
> products but none have fixed the problem.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
>> this newsgroup.
>>
>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
>> start
>> IE in No Add-ons mode:
>>
>> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>> Add-ons; or

>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:

>> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
>>
>> 4a. Are you running McAfee Security Center, a freebie from your ISP?
>>
>> 4b. Has another McAfee application or a Norton application ever been
>> installed on this machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came
>> preinstalled when you bought it)?
>>
>> mbennett wrote:
>>> IE7, Dell 4550 Computer, XP Home Edition, McAfee Virus protection
>>>
>>> I can browse the web and visit many sites with no problems until I need
>>> input some user data. Examples include entering a user name for on-line
>>> banking or webmail. After doing so, I get the message the "Cannot
>>> display
>>> the webpage" screen. I have searched the knowledge base and tried the
>>> applicable items from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431 with no
>>> success. I even have to post this using a second computer because I
>>> couldn't enter my password on the affected computer. Please advise.

mbennett

Re: IE7 - Cannot display the webpage after inputing user data - BE
I followed all steps, uninstalled and re-installed McAfee, and everthing went
as expected, but IE is still exhibits the same problem. I couldn't even log
into this Newsgroup on the effected computer. All websites I have been
checking have been accessable from the second computer with no problems.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > Re: Item 3, Problem does not occur in Safe Mode, IE seems to perform fine
> > Re: Item 4a, I have a subscription version (recently updated) of McAfee
> > Security Center
> > Re: Item 4b, Yes, a free trial version of McAfee came bundled on the
> > computer when purchased (~5 years ago), and I have maintained my
> > subscription sense.

> McAfee (and Norton) applications are pretty notorious for not upgrading (or
> uninstalling) cleanly. After making certain you have a copy of your Product
> ID or license at hand, see if this three-step fix resolves the problems:
> http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> mbennett wrote:
> > Yes, I have SP3, sorry for not providing that information
> >
> > Re: Item 1, yes I have run IE in No Add-ons Mode -> Problem still occurs
> > Re: Item 2, I reset IE -> Problem still occurs
> > Re: Item 3, Problem does not occur in Safe Mode, IE seems to perform fine
> > Re: Item 4a, I have a subscription version (recently updated) of McAfee
> > Security Center
> > Re: Item 4b, Yes, a free trial version of McAfee came bundled on the
> > computer when purchased (~5 years ago), and I have maintained my
> > subscription sense. I don't believe I have ever had Norton or any other
> > Virus Protecution.
> >
> > Lastly, I have run a number of spyware and malware scans with differenct
> > products but none have fixed the problem.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
> >> this newsgroup.
> >>
> >> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
> >> start
> >> IE in No Add-ons mode:
> >>
> >> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
> >> Add-ons; or
> >>
> >> => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
> >> Explorer (No add-ons).
> >>
> >> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
> >> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
> >>
> >> 2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!
> >>
> >> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
> >> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
> >>
> >> 4a. Are you running McAfee Security Center, a freebie from your ISP?
> >>
> >> 4b. Has another McAfee application or a Norton application ever been
> >> installed on this machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came
> >> preinstalled when you bought it)?

Re: IE7 - Cannot display the webpage after inputing user data - BE
I was afraid you'd say that. Try doing another Reset now.

Which was installed first, IE7 or SP3?

mbennett wrote:
> I followed all steps, uninstalled and re-installed McAfee, and everthing
> went as expected, but IE is still exhibits the same problem. I couldn't
> even log into this Newsgroup on the effected computer. All websites I
> have
> been checking have been accessable from the second computer with no
> problems.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>>> Re: Item 3, Problem does not occur in Safe Mode, IE seems to perform
>>> fine
>>> Re: Item 4a, I have a subscription version (recently updated) of McAfee
>>> Security Center
>>> Re: Item 4b, Yes, a free trial version of McAfee came bundled on the
>>> computer when purchased (~5 years ago), and I have maintained my
>>> subscription sense.

>> McAfee (and Norton) applications are pretty notorious for not upgrading
>> (or
>> uninstalling) cleanly. After making certain you have a copy of your
>> Product ID or license at hand, see if this three-step fix resolves the
>> problems: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> mbennett wrote:
>>> Yes, I have SP3, sorry for not providing that information
>>>
>>> Re: Item 1, yes I have run IE in No Add-ons Mode -> Problem still occurs
>>> Re: Item 2, I reset IE -> Problem still occurs
>>> Re: Item 3, Problem does not occur in Safe Mode, IE seems to perform
>>> fine
>>> Re: Item 4a, I have a subscription version (recently updated) of McAfee
>>> Security Center
>>> Re: Item 4b, Yes, a free trial version of McAfee came bundled on the
>>> computer when purchased (~5 years ago), and I have maintained my
>>> subscription sense. I don't believe I have ever had Norton or any other
>>> Virus Protecution.
>>>
>>> Lastly, I have run a number of spyware and malware scans with differenct
>>> products but none have fixed the problem.

mbennett

Re: IE7 - Cannot display the webpage after inputing user data - BE
Did another reset -> problem still exists.

As far as which was installed first, IE7 or SP3, I don't recall, is there
someway to tell. I will say the both were installed a long time before this
problem arose.

Any more ideas? I appreciate your help so far, even though we haven't
broken the code yet.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> I was afraid you'd say that. Try doing another Reset now.
>
> Which was installed first, IE7 or SP3?
>

> mbennett wrote:
> > I followed all steps, uninstalled and re-installed McAfee, and everthing
> > went as expected, but IE is still exhibits the same problem. I couldn't
> > even log into this Newsgroup on the effected computer. All websites I
> > have
> > been checking have been accessable from the second computer with no
> > problems.

> >> McAfee (and Norton) applications are pretty notorious for not upgrading
> >> (or
> >> uninstalling) cleanly. After making certain you have a copy of your
> >> Product ID or license at hand, see if this three-step fix resolves the
> >> problems: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> www.banthecheck.com

Re: IE7 - Cannot display the webpage after inputing user data - BE
If you open Add/Remove Programs and select/highlight Windows Internet
Explorer 7, is the REMOVE button available?

mbennett wrote:
> Did another reset -> problem still exists.
>
> As far as which was installed first, IE7 or SP3, I don't recall, is there
> someway to tell. I will say the both were installed a long time before
> this
> problem arose.
>
> Any more ideas? I appreciate your help so far, even though we haven't
> broken the code yet.
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> I was afraid you'd say that. Try doing another Reset now.
>>
>> Which was installed first, IE7 or SP3?
>>
>> mbennett wrote:
>>> I followed all steps, uninstalled and re-installed McAfee, and everthing
>>> went as expected, but IE is still exhibits the same problem. I couldn't
>>> even log into this Newsgroup on the effected computer. All websites I
>>> have
>>> been checking have been accessable from the second computer with no
>>> problems.

mbennett

Re: IE7 - Cannot display the webpage after inputing user data - BE
No, the REMOVE button is not available. Also, while it indicates that IE is
used 'Frequently', it also indicates that it was last used in March of 2007.
Curious?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> If you open Add/Remove Programs and select/highlight Windows Internet
> Explorer 7, is the REMOVE button available?
>

> mbennett wrote:
> > Did another reset -> problem still exists.
> >
> > As far as which was installed first, IE7 or SP3, I don't recall, is there
> > someway to tell. I will say the both were installed a long time before
> > this
> > problem arose.
> >
> > Any more ideas? I appreciate your help so far, even though we haven't
> > broken the code yet.
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> I was afraid you'd say that. Try doing another Reset now.
> >>
> >> Which was installed first, IE7 or SP3?

Re: IE7 - Cannot display the webpage after inputing user data - BE
Not to worry: The fact that the Remove button isn't available simply tells
me that IE7 was installed (possibly in Mar-07) before SP3 was installed. I
was thinking that maybe you had a "horked" install of IE7 but since you tell
us that what you're seeing is sudden, new behavior, we can rule that
out...unless you only recently installed SP3 and the behavior started after
doing so. Could that be the case?

Moving on...

Open Add/Remove Programs. After making sure the Show Updates box at the top
is checked, scroll down and tell me if "Security Update for Windows Internet
Explorer (KB972260)" is listed?

Still in Add/Remove Programs, tell me if "Java(TM) 6 Update 15" is listed.
If not, what version(s) is/are listed [e.g., Java(TM) 6 Update 7; Java(TM) 5
Update 11]?

Open Windows Explorer (WinKey+E) to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash
<=this folder where you should find an icon for Adobe Flash Player Helper.
Right-click on this icon, select Properties, click on the Version tab: What
File Version is displayed at the top (e.g., v10.0.32.18)?
--
~PA Bear
www.banthecheck.com