Security Update KB972260 causing IE7 not working on Vista

Kumar Saurabh

Security Update KB972260 causing IE7 not working on Vista
Hi,

I have been facing this issue since 07/22/2009. I have a HP Notebook with
"Microsoft Vista Home Premium" OS [which by default provides IE7.0]. When
auyomatic updates installed Security Update KB972260, IE7.0 stopped working
suddenly althoough my internet connection was running fine. It has happenned
3-4 times since then, that this security update gets installed and IE7 stops
working.
To browse using IE7, I do need to uninstall KB972260 everytime.
Please suggest a solution for it. Any solution for this issue is highly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Saurabh
Don Varnau

Re: Security Update KB972260 causing IE7 not working on Vista
Hi,
A quick web search doesn't find many reports of trouble with this update.
You should contact Microsoft Support directly.

No charge support is available from Microsoft for issues related to security
updates.

Look for "How to obtain help and support for this security update" in this
article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972260
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Kumar Saurabh" <Kumar Saurabh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have been facing this issue since 07/22/2009. I have a HP Notebook with
> "Microsoft Vista Home Premium" OS [which by default provides IE7.0]. When
> auyomatic updates installed Security Update KB972260, IE7.0 stopped

working
> suddenly althoough my internet connection was running fine. It has

happenned
> 3-4 times since then, that this security update gets installed and IE7

stops
> working.
> To browse using IE7, I do need to uninstall KB972260 everytime.
> Please suggest a solution for it. Any solution for this issue is highly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Saurabh

Michel Doucet

Re: Security Update KB972260 causing IE7 not working on Vista
Bonjour/soir, le Sat, 08 Aug 2009 06:05:41 -0500, *Don Varnau* a caressé
son clavier pour nous dire dans le message suivant:

http://forums.techarena.in/security-...rs/1223126.htm

--
Utiliser le butineur, le courriéleur, le lecteur de nouvelles
et le SE avec lesquels vous vous sentez le plus sécurisé ...
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Security Update KB972260 causing IE7 not working on Vista

"Kumar Saurabh" <Kumar Saurabh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have been facing this issue since 07/22/2009. I have a HP Notebook with
> "Microsoft Vista Home Premium" OS [which by default provides IE7.0]. When
> auyomatic updates installed Security Update KB972260, IE7.0 stopped working
> suddenly althoough my internet connection was running fine. It has happenned
> 3-4 times since then, that this security update gets installed and IE7 stops
> working.
> To browse using IE7, I do need to uninstall KB972260 everytime.

<title>MS09-034: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer</title>
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=972260

This updates iexplore.exe. I wonder what you are not telling us?...

> Please suggest a solution for it. Any solution for this issue is highly
> appreciated.

<title>How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems in Internet Explorer</title>
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936211/

(Support site search for
"internet explorer" firewall "third party"
)

Unfortunately this article doesn't explain a common problem with
third-party network security programs. E.g. if iexplore.exe changes
and they think that that implies you have a Trojan on board, they won't
let it connect to the Internet. Unfortunately also, apparently they can do
this silently, so that the user is oblivious to the lack of connectivity being
presented to the supposed "Trojan".

The XP Diagnose Connection Problems... troubleshooter is similarly
unaware and deficient. It probably passes your connection with flying
colours because it doesn't test with the program that you want to connect
to the Internet with!

So, if you have a network security program in place, disable or uninstall it
before assuming you have no connectivity using IE. However, before
attempting this you should make sure that the Windows firewall is in place
and active.

> Thanks,
> Saurabh

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Re: Security Update KB972260 causing IE7 not working on Vista
[Crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]

Please state your full Windows version (e.g., Vista SP1; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

You do NOT want to be connected to the internet without the most recent
Cumulative Security Update for IE (e.g., KB972260) installed!

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB972260).

LOOK!! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE
(e.g., KB972260), call the above number and ask to be transferred to the
"Consumer IE queue" (which is 47830).

Support for Windows Update:

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net