Favorites Lost

BillSr

Favorites Lost
I was trying to copy my Favorites to my new computer which has XP Pro and
IE8. I did something wrong and the CD started looking at the network drive
where I had stored the Favorites directory. After 4 hours of trying to
regedit and rebooting and coping the Favorites directory into all three
directories Administrator, All Users & L1 (My user name) they do not show up
in IE8 at all! I even uninstalled IE8 & reinstalled it! I am desperate for
any suggestions.
BillSr

RE: Favorites Lost
Additional note: I can not even add new favorites or replace the old ones IE8
thinks the Favorites folder is on a network drive that is gone!

"BillSr" wrote:

> I was trying to copy my Favorites to my new computer which has XP Pro and
> IE8. I did something wrong and the CD started looking at the network drive
> where I had stored the Favorites directory. After 4 hours of trying to
> regedit and rebooting and coping the Favorites directory into all three
> directories Administrator, All Users & L1 (My user name) they do not show up
> in IE8 at all! I even uninstalled IE8 & reinstalled it! I am desperate for
> any suggestions.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Favorites Lost

"BillSr" <BillSr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2D651C3E-9453-4BE7-976C-1CBB8C608005@microsoft.com...
> Additional note: I can not even add new favorites or replace the old ones IE8
> thinks the Favorites folder is on a network drive that is gone!

Run... (e.g. press Win-R and enter

shell:Favorites

Is that where you thought you were putting it with your (unspecified) RedEdit?

---

> "BillSr" wrote:
>
>> I was trying to copy my Favorites to my new computer which has XP Pro and
>> IE8. I did something wrong and the CD started looking at the network drive
>> where I had stored the Favorites directory. After 4 hours of trying to
>> regedit and rebooting and coping the Favorites directory into all three
>> directories Administrator, All Users & L1 (My user name) they do not show up
>> in IE8 at all! I even uninstalled IE8 & reinstalled it! I am desperate for
>> any suggestions.

BillSr

Re: Favorites Lost
shell:Favorites
gives me an error message
"Windows can not find 'shell:Favorites'. Make sure you typed the name
correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button,
and then click Search."

With regedit I was trying to delete directions to the NW drive and direct
IE8 to look in the C:\Documents and Settings\L1\Favorites subdirectory for
the Favorites

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "BillSr" <BillSr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2D651C3E-9453-4BE7-976C-1CBB8C608005@microsoft.com...
> > Additional note: I can not even add new favorites or replace the old ones IE8
> > thinks the Favorites folder is on a network drive that is gone!

> Run... (e.g. press Win-R and enter
>
> shell:Favorites
>
> Is that where you thought you were putting it with your (unspecified) RedEdit?
>

> ---
>

> > "BillSr" wrote:
> >
> >> I was trying to copy my Favorites to my new computer which has XP Pro and
> >> IE8. I did something wrong and the CD started looking at the network drive
> >> where I had stored the Favorites directory. After 4 hours of trying to
> >> regedit and rebooting and coping the Favorites directory into all three
> >> directories Administrator, All Users & L1 (My user name) they do not show up
> >> in IE8 at all! I even uninstalled IE8 & reinstalled it! I am desperate for
> >> any suggestions.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Favorites Lost

"BillSr" <BillSr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0B19B265-3AC9-4542-AC24-A4C105D02C70@microsoft.com...
> shell:Favorites
> gives me an error message
> "Windows can not find 'shell:Favorites'. Make sure you typed the name
> correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button,
> and then click Search."

Under Vista you might have to do that as Administrator.
One way to do that would be to start cmd.exe as Administrator
and execute the command there. However, it seems a recent
security/obscurity change makes such syntax to be interpreted
as an invalid drive name. A workaround in that case would be
to execute instead:

explorer.exe shell:Favorites

> With regedit I was trying to delete directions to the NW drive and direct
> IE8 to look in the C:\Documents and Settings\L1\Favorites subdirectory for
> the Favorites

Then check also that shell:Favorites would normally work if it was defined
properly by testing one of the other Shell Folders, such as shell:History.

If that works it would appear then that you didn't do that change correctly.
Is there still a Favorites value under User Shell Folders?

Good luck

Robert
---