IE8 starts a bunch of files

GK Encinitas

IE8 starts a bunch of files
When I start IE8, it seems to start several programs on it's own. When I
click on IE8 icon on my desktop, it says your last session was not closed
properly, do you want to re-start or go to home page. If I click on restart,
it opens between 4 and 31 windows! How do I stop this. Some of the windows
seem to start on their own and all of a sudden, audio comes on even when IE8
is closed!
Don Varnau

Re: IE8 starts a bunch of files
Hi,
Do additional windows open if you choose "Go to my homepage?"

Are the additional windows sites which you visited in the last browsing
session?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"GK Encinitas" <GK Encinitas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I start IE8, it seems to start several programs on it's own. When I
> click on IE8 icon on my desktop, it says your last session was not closed
> properly, do you want to re-start or go to home page. If I click on

restart,
> it opens between 4 and 31 windows! How do I stop this. Some of the

windows
> seem to start on their own and all of a sudden, audio comes on even when

IE8
> is closed!

GK Encinitas

Re: IE8 starts a bunch of files
No additional windows open when I choose go to my homepage. The sites that
pop up are mostly very old. Definitely not the last browsing session and
some I don't recognize at all.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Do additional windows open if you choose "Go to my homepage?"
>
> Are the additional windows sites which you visited in the last browsing
> session?
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "GK Encinitas" <GK Encinitas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I start IE8, it seems to start several programs on it's own. When I
> > click on IE8 icon on my desktop, it says your last session was not closed
> > properly, do you want to re-start or go to home page. If I click on

> restart,
> > it opens between 4 and 31 windows! How do I stop this. Some of the

> windows
> > seem to start on their own and all of a sudden, audio comes on even when

> IE8
> > is closed!

Don Varnau

Re: IE8 starts a bunch of files
Hi,
* Part A ...
With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons, work
through this article:
936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us

Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all stored login
data:
IE PassView- NirSoft:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/interne..._password.html

What a reset of IE settings will do:
Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fe1771033.mspx

- - - - -
If resetting IE settings didn't resolve the issues.

* Part B - There is a good chance this is a malware issue.

1. Scan with Windows Defender - already installed on Vista - free download
for XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...r/default.mspx

2. Run the Malicious Software Removal Tool.
This is not a wide-spectrum tool, but is worth running.

3. Install and run the free version of SuperAntiSpyware
http://superantispyware.com/

4. Install and run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

5. If there is *any* reason to suspect that these tools didn't remove all
malware, visit one of these sites, register and follow the protocol.

Aumha:
http://www.aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
Start at http://www.aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075

SpywareHammer:
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&boa rd=10.0
Read:
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&top ic=87.0
then
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&top ic=88.0

Bleeping Computer:

> No additional windows open when I choose go to my homepage. The sites

that
> pop up are mostly very old. Definitely not the last browsing session and
> some I don't recognize at all.

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Do additional windows open if you choose "Go to my homepage?"
> >
> > Are the additional windows sites which you visited in the last browsing
> > session?

> > "GK Encinitas" <GK Encinitas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > When I start IE8, it seems to start several programs on it's own.

When I
> > > click on IE8 icon on my desktop, it says your last session was not

closed
> > > properly, do you want to re-start or go to home page. If I click on

> > restart,
> > > it opens between 4 and 31 windows! How do I stop this. Some of the

> > windows
> > > seem to start on their own and all of a sudden, audio comes on even

when IE8 is closed!

IE8 Bug - cannot open mht files when filename starts with #. IE7 w Silke microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 1 03-24-2009 04:22
In Vista Ultimate Explorer always starts when Windows starts Ron microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 1 07-28-2008 01:18
HELP exe files starts in Notepad doparn microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 3 10-31-2007 00:12
Munch a Bunch 1.1 Gamer Games Feed 0 06-29-2007 17:25
Notepad starts with "[.ShellClassInfo] computer starts in Vista =?Utf-8?B?b3RobzY5?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 7 03-10-2007 17:18