Re: compatibility view question in IE8

[crosspost to IE General]

Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
this newsgroup.

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
--
IE-specific newsgroup:

www.banthecheck.com

2harts4ever wrote:
> Today I jusdt noticed that when I went to the Windows Update site that it
> had a 'compatibility view' image available to click on.
>
> I find it strange that Microsoft doesn't have this site 'compatible'?
>
> Does anyone else have any further information why this would be?

2harts4ever

Re: compatibility view question in IE8
Hi Pa Bear,

I appreciate your response.

I am using a Compaq Presario AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3300+, 2411MHz/1.93
GBs RAM, running Windows Xp Home, SP3., with IE8.

Since posting my original question I have bounced around other Microsoft
sites and they show as being compatible (no compatibility button shown) with
IE8.

I just found it strange that the Microsoft Update page wasn't compatible
with IE8 yet.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

2harts4ever

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [crosspost to IE General]
>
> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
> this newsgroup.
>
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).

> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>
> 4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
> IE8?
>
> 4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>
> 5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
> --
> IE-specific newsgroup:
>
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> 2harts4ever wrote:
> > Today I jusdt noticed that when I went to the Windows Update site that it
> > had a 'compatibility view' image available to click on.
> >
> > I find it strange that Microsoft doesn't have this site 'compatible'?
> >
> > Does anyone else have any further information why this would be?

Re: compatibility view question in IE8
IE8 *is* compatible with WU website...but IE8 running on your computer
apparently isn't. See my previous reply for diagnostic tests.

2harts4ever wrote:
> Hi Pa Bear,
>
> I appreciate your response.
>
> I am using a Compaq Presario AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3300+,
> 2411MHz/1.93
> GBs RAM, running Windows Xp Home, SP3., with IE8.
>
> Since posting my original question I have bounced around other Microsoft
> sites and they show as being compatible (no compatibility button shown)
> with
> IE8.
>
> I just found it strange that the Microsoft Update page wasn't compatible
> with IE8 yet.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to respond.
>
> 2harts4ever
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> [crosspost to IE General]
>>
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
>> this newsgroup.
>>
>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
>> start
>> IE in No Add-ons mode:
>>
>> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>> Add-ons; or

>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:

>> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
>>
>> 4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
>> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>> installed
>> IE8?
>>
>> 4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> machine
>>
>> 5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
>> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
>> --
>> IE-specific newsgroup:
>>
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> 2harts4ever wrote:
>>> Today I jusdt noticed that when I went to the Windows Update site that
>>> it
>>> had a 'compatibility view' image available to click on.
>>>
>>> I find it strange that Microsoft doesn't have this site 'compatible'?
>>>
>>> Does anyone else have any further information why this would be?

2harts4ever

Re: compatibility view question in IE8
Hi again Pa Bear,

I tried stopping all add-ons and that didn't work. Site still shows in
compatibility mode.

Not really hep on trying the 'RIES' option. Too much to restore if that
doesn't solve this one problem.

I have Avast for my anti spyware, Comodo for my firewall and I also use
Super Antispyware, Spyware Blaster, Spybot S&D,Trojan Hunter, Malwarebytes
Amntispyware as well as Windows Defender. All are completely patched and
updated.

To the best of my recollection none were running when I installed IE8 and no
I don't have a restore point that predates the installation of IE8.

If this is just a quirk on my computer and it doesn't really pose a security
risk I will be content to just live with it.

Your help is appreciated as always,

2harts4ever

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> IE8 *is* compatible with WU website...but IE8 running on your computer
> apparently isn't. See my previous reply for diagnostic tests.
>

> 2harts4ever wrote:
> > Hi Pa Bear,
> >
> > I appreciate your response.
> >
> > I am using a Compaq Presario AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3300+,
> > 2411MHz/1.93
> > GBs RAM, running Windows Xp Home, SP3., with IE8.
> >
> > Since posting my original question I have bounced around other Microsoft
> > sites and they show as being compatible (no compatibility button shown)
> > with
> > IE8.
> >
> > I just found it strange that the Microsoft Update page wasn't compatible
> > with IE8 yet.
> >
> > Thanks for taking the time to respond.
> >
> > 2harts4ever
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> [crosspost to IE General]
> >>
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
> >> this newsgroup.
> >>
> >> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
> >> start
> >> IE in No Add-ons mode:
> >>
> >> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
> >> Add-ons; or
> >>
> >> => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
> >> Explorer (No add-ons).
> >>
> >> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
> >> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
> >>
> >> 2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!
> >>
> >> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
> >> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
> >>
> >> 4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> >> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
> >> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
> >> installed
> >> IE8?
> >>
> >> 4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> >> machine
> >> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
> >>
> >> 5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
> >> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
> >> --
> >> IE-specific newsgroup:
> >>
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> www.banthecheck.com

Re: compatibility view question in IE8
Well, someone else is in the same boat. See what I've recommended in this
thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...73067fa6?hl=en

You two are the only users I've come across to-date who have this problem.

2harts4ever wrote:
> Hi again Pa Bear,
>
> I tried stopping all add-ons and that didn't work. Site still shows in
> compatibility mode.
>
> Not really hep on trying the 'RIES' option. Too much to restore if that
> doesn't solve this one problem.
>
> I have Avast for my anti spyware, Comodo for my firewall and I also use
> Super Antispyware, Spyware Blaster, Spybot S&D,Trojan Hunter, Malwarebytes
> Amntispyware as well as Windows Defender. All are completely patched and
> updated.
>
> To the best of my recollection none were running when I installed IE8 and
> no
> I don't have a restore point that predates the installation of IE8.
>
> If this is just a quirk on my computer and it doesn't really pose a
> security
> risk I will be content to just live with it.
>
> Your help is appreciated as always,
>
> 2harts4ever
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> IE8 *is* compatible with WU website...but IE8 running on your computer
>> apparently isn't. See my previous reply for diagnostic tests.
>>

>> 2harts4ever wrote:
>>> Hi Pa Bear,
>>>
>>> I appreciate your response.
>>>
>>> I am using a Compaq Presario AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3300+,
>>> 2411MHz/1.93
>>> GBs RAM, running Windows Xp Home, SP3., with IE8.
>>>
>>> Since posting my original question I have bounced around other Microsoft
>>> sites and they show as being compatible (no compatibility button shown)
>>> with
>>> IE8.
>>>
>>> I just found it strange that the Microsoft Update page wasn't compatible
>>> with IE8 yet.
>>>
>>> Thanks for taking the time to respond.
>>>
>>> 2harts4ever

2harts4ever

Re: compatibility view question in IE8
Morning Pa Bear,

It is nice to know I am not alone but I would much rather be in the majority
and not have this particular problem ...lol

I appreciate the link you provided. For the time being I will just sit on
this and see if the person mentioned in your link has any success.

In the meantime do you see any cause for alarm as far as security is
concerned in relation to this quirk with the Windows Update site?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Well, someone else is in the same boat. See what I've recommended in this
> thread:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...73067fa6?hl=en
>
> You two are the only users I've come across to-date who have this problem.
>

> 2harts4ever wrote:
> > Hi again Pa Bear,
> >
> > I tried stopping all add-ons and that didn't work. Site still shows in
> > compatibility mode.
> >
> > Not really hep on trying the 'RIES' option. Too much to restore if that
> > doesn't solve this one problem.
> >
> > I have Avast for my anti spyware, Comodo for my firewall and I also use
> > Super Antispyware, Spyware Blaster, Spybot S&D,Trojan Hunter, Malwarebytes
> > Amntispyware as well as Windows Defender. All are completely patched and
> > updated.
> >
> > To the best of my recollection none were running when I installed IE8 and
> > no
> > I don't have a restore point that predates the installation of IE8.
> >
> > If this is just a quirk on my computer and it doesn't really pose a
> > security
> > risk I will be content to just live with it.
> >
> > Your help is appreciated as always,
> >
> > 2harts4ever
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> IE8 *is* compatible with WU website...but IE8 running on your computer
> >> apparently isn't. See my previous reply for diagnostic tests.

G. R. Woodring

Re: compatibility view question in IE8
I also see the Compatibility view button displayed on the Microsoft Update page.
The page displays and functions in IE8 the same as it did in IE7. I don't
need to use the button to view the page.

I guess the question to ask is: "How is the page messed up so that these users
must use the compatibility view?" I don't see the mere presence of the button
as a "requirement" to use it.

I suspect that Microsoft has simply not rewritten the page to make it "100% IE8
compliant", which would be a waste of time if the page functions correctly as it is.

--
G. R. Woodring

Date: 8/8/2009 2:11 AM, Author: PA Bear [MS MVP] Wrote:
> Well, someone else is in the same boat. See what I've recommended in this
> thread:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...73067fa6?hl=en
>

> You two are the only users I've come across to-date who have this problem.
>

> 2harts4ever wrote:
>> Hi again Pa Bear,
>>
>> I tried stopping all add-ons and that didn't work. Site still shows in
>> compatibility mode.
>>
>> Not really hep on trying the 'RIES' option. Too much to restore if that
>> doesn't solve this one problem.
>>
>> I have Avast for my anti spyware, Comodo for my firewall and I also use
>> Super Antispyware, Spyware Blaster, Spybot S&D,Trojan Hunter,
>> Malwarebytes
>> Amntispyware as well as Windows Defender. All are completely patched and
>> updated.
>>
>> To the best of my recollection none were running when I installed IE8 and
>> no
>> I don't have a restore point that predates the installation of IE8.
>>
>> If this is just a quirk on my computer and it doesn't really pose a
>> security
>> risk I will be content to just live with it.
>>
>> Your help is appreciated as always,
>>
>> 2harts4ever
>>

>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> IE8 *is* compatible with WU website...but IE8 running on your computer
>>> apparently isn't. See my previous reply for diagnostic tests.

Re: compatibility view question in IE8
> I suspect that Microsoft has simply not rewritten the page to make it
> "100%
> IE8 compliant", which would be a waste of time if the page functions
> correctly as it is.

Not to invite any further off-topic thread drift but the overwhelming
majority IE8 users are not seeing this behavior.

NB: A Windows Update-specific software update is being "pushed" to computers
worldwide. This update MAY address the behavior a very few of you have
encountered. YMMV. See
http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/...ws-update.aspx
--
~PA Bear
www.banthecheck.com

G. R. Woodring wrote:
> I also see the Compatibility view button displayed on the Microsoft Update
> page. The page displays and functions in IE8 the same as it did in IE7.
> don't need to use the button to view the page.
>
> I guess the question to ask is: "How is the page messed up so that these
> users must use the compatibility view?" I don't see the mere presence of
> the
> button as a "requirement" to use it.
>
> I suspect that Microsoft has simply not rewritten the page to make it
> "100%
> IE8 compliant", which would be a waste of time if the page functions
> correctly as it is.
>
> Date: 8/8/2009 2:11 AM, Author: PA Bear [MS MVP] Wrote:
>> Well, someone else is in the same boat. See what I've recommended in
>> this
>> thread:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...73067fa6?hl=en
>>

>> You two are the only users I've come across to-date who have this
>> problem.
>>

>> 2harts4ever wrote:
>>> Hi again Pa Bear,
>>>
>>> I tried stopping all add-ons and that didn't work. Site still shows in
>>> compatibility mode.
>>>
>>> Not really hep on trying the 'RIES' option. Too much to restore if that
>>> doesn't solve this one problem.
>>>
>>> I have Avast for my anti spyware, Comodo for my firewall and I also use
>>> Super Antispyware, Spyware Blaster, Spybot S&D,Trojan Hunter,
>>> Malwarebytes
>>> Amntispyware as well as Windows Defender. All are completely patched
>>> and
>>> updated.
>>>
>>> To the best of my recollection none were running when I installed IE8
>>> and
>>> no
>>> I don't have a restore point that predates the installation of IE8.
>>>
>>> If this is just a quirk on my computer and it doesn't really pose a
>>> security
>>> risk I will be content to just live with it.
>>>
>>> Your help is appreciated as always,
>>>
>>> 2harts4ever

2harts4ever

Re: compatibility view question in IE8
Hi Pa Bear.

And ... now there are three ...lol Maybe there are others out there too.

Hopefully, these upcoming updates to the Windows Update page itself will
correct this quirk for us 'minority' folks.

For what it is worth this Windows Newsgroup page shows the 'Compatibility
View' button also.

Have a great weekend and thanks for your help.

Regards,

2harts4ever

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > I suspect that Microsoft has simply not rewritten the page to make it
> > "100%
> > IE8 compliant", which would be a waste of time if the page functions
> > correctly as it is.

> Not to invite any further off-topic thread drift but the overwhelming
> majority IE8 users are not seeing this behavior.
>
> NB: A Windows Update-specific software update is being "pushed" to computers
> worldwide. This update MAY address the behavior a very few of you have
> encountered. YMMV. See
> http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/...ws-update.aspx
> --
> ~PA Bear
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> G. R. Woodring wrote:
> > I also see the Compatibility view button displayed on the Microsoft Update
> > page. The page displays and functions in IE8 the same as it did in IE7.
> > don't need to use the button to view the page.
> >
> > I guess the question to ask is: "How is the page messed up so that these
> > users must use the compatibility view?" I don't see the mere presence of
> > the
> > button as a "requirement" to use it.
> >
> > I suspect that Microsoft has simply not rewritten the page to make it
> > "100%
> > IE8 compliant", which would be a waste of time if the page functions
> > correctly as it is.
> >
> > Date: 8/8/2009 2:11 AM, Author: PA Bear [MS MVP] Wrote:
> >> Well, someone else is in the same boat. See what I've recommended in
> >> this
> >> thread:
> >> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...73067fa6?hl=en
> >>

> >> You two are the only users I've come across to-date who have this
> >> problem.

Donald Anadell

"G. R. Woodring" <tejbbqevat@rneguyvax.arg> wrote in message
>I also see the Compatibility view button displayed on the Microsoft Update
>page.

> The page displays and functions in IE8 the same as it did in IE7. I
> don't need to use the button to view the page.

Same experience here on three separate Windows XP SP3||IE8 machines. No
need to use the button to get Windows Update to function properly, but the
icon does appear on all three machines when visiting Windows Update with
IE8. Like you I just ignore since it has no bearing on Windows Update
functioning properly.

Perhaps the up coming update to the Windows Update site that was mentioned
by PA Bear will resolve the issue.

Donald Anadell