IE8 Favorites not importing

DWC

IE8 Favorites not importing
I exported my Favorites from one computer running WinXP and IE8 to a file.

When I try to import that file into IE8 on another WinXP machine nothing
imports and the only message is "Some settings were not imported
successfully".

???

Re: IE8 Favorites not importing
Assuming you're running IE7 on the box...

Error "Not a valid bookmark file" when Importing IE8 Bookmarks (Favorites)
to IE7 - The Winhelponline Blog:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/er...orites-to-ie7/

www.banthecheck.com

DWC wrote:
> I exported my Favorites from one computer running WinXP and IE8 to a file.
>
> When I try to import that file into IE8 on another WinXP machine nothing
> imports and the only message is "Some settings were not imported
> successfully".
>
> ???

ju.c

Re: IE8 Favorites not importing
"Not a valid bookmark file” error when importing Favorites:

1. Open bookmark.htm in Notepad and change the
format to "Ansi". (Encoding: Ansi)

2. If a "Mark of the Web" line is present, remove it.
Example: <!-- saved from url=(0014)about:internet -->

3. Importing should work now.

ju.c

"DWC" <DWC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11AD6299-315A-41A9-80C9-393CF9ACB49B@microsoft.com...
> I exported my Favorites from one computer running WinXP and IE8 to a file.
>
> When I try to import that file into IE8 on another WinXP machine nothing
> imports and the only message is "Some settings were not imported
> successfully".
>
> ???

Essexbiker

Re: IE8 Favorites not importing
Could you explain where one finds the bookmark.htm file/folder please?

You say that if a "Mark of the Web" line is present, remove it.
> Example: <!-- saved from url=(0014)about:internet -->

Does this mean you have to edit each bookmarked url individually? If so,
this would take me a month of Sundays!

If I remember correctly, when I first ran Windows 7 RC with IE8, I could not
import my IE7 favorites. But to work round it, I think I just went to Users>
me and moved the favorites folder to the partition containing my IE7
favorites.

But maybe my IE7 favorites will be corrupted now, when I log back in to
Vista? I'll have to try it and post back!

--
HP Pavillion system model FR612AA-ABU a6632uk. AMD Phenom(tm) 8550
Triple-Core Processor. 3gb RAM. NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS graphics card. Vista

"ju.c" wrote:

> "Not a valid bookmark file” error when importing Favorites:
>
> 1. Open bookmark.htm in Notepad and change the
> format to "Ansi". (Encoding: Ansi)
>
> 2. If a "Mark of the Web" line is present, remove it.
> Example: <!-- saved from url=(0014)about:internet -->
>
> 3. Importing should work now.
>

> ju.c
>

> "DWC" <DWC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11AD6299-315A-41A9-80C9-393CF9ACB49B@microsoft.com...
> > I exported my Favorites from one computer running WinXP and IE8 to a file.
> >
> > When I try to import that file into IE8 on another WinXP machine nothing
> > imports and the only message is "Some settings were not imported
> > successfully".
> >
> > ???

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 Favorites not importing
One finds the bookmark.htm file where one saved it when one created the
bookmark.htm file.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est