Download links that open pop-up windows aren't working in IE8 on W

TDuke

Download links that open pop-up windows aren't working in IE8 on W
I'm running IE 8 on the Windows 7 RC. Since the initial installation, I've
had to use Firefox for most of my browsing because IE8 doesn't open download
links that open pop-up windows. I'm taking online classes and a large part
of my coursework involves viewing the artwork of other students and providing
critiques. If I click on a link to download and view the artwork, a window
pops up, but remains blank and the cursor indicates that it's working, though
nothing ever happens. This also occurs in the Outlook Web Portal that my
school uses for email. Most recently, I needed to download a pdf containing
new-hire paperwork for a new job and again, the download link opens a pop-up
window that remains a blank white box. Unfortunately, this particular site
only works with Internet Explorer, so I'm stuck unless we can find and fix
the problem. The page that the link is trying to open up appears to be an
asp page, launched from another asp page, if that helps.

So far, I've reduced the security to the lowest settings I can, I've made
sure that all associated plug-ins and add-ons are installed and updated, I've
tried opening the link after disabling all add-ons, and I've disabled my
virus protection and firewall. Please note that these links all work fine in
the most current version of Firefox. I'm at a loss as to what else to do.
Prior to the recent development, this has been merely an annoyance that I
could work around with Firefox, but now, it's a critical problem for which
I've been unable to find a solution.

I would really appreciate some help on this.
rob^_^

Re: Download links that open pop-up windows aren't working in IE8 on W
Hi T,

OWA - Is Win 7 RC1, IE8 supported by your school network? Consult with your
teachers as to which OS and Browser versions are supported. Win7 will be
going RTM soon... I am not sure when your RC1 license will expire. Use the
Win7 XP emulation to connect to your schools' OWA services.

Blank popup pages - Usually happens when you are running third-party Addons
that have their own built-in popup blocker at the same time as the built-in
IE popup blocker. Turn off any third-party popup blockers, you don't need
them. Test by running IE8 in noAddons mode -
Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (no Addons)
or
A security zone setting is preventing the display of content - ensure that
all of your security zones are set to their default values (Tools>Internet
Options - Security tab, press the "Default level" button (if it is
enabled...) on each of the security zone leafs.

Regards.

"TDuke" <TDuke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running IE 8 on the Windows 7 RC. Since the initial installation,
> I've
> had to use Firefox for most of my browsing because IE8 doesn't open
> download
> links that open pop-up windows. I'm taking online classes and a large
> part
> of my coursework involves viewing the artwork of other students and
> providing
> critiques. If I click on a link to download and view the artwork, a
> window
> pops up, but remains blank and the cursor indicates that it's working,
> though
> nothing ever happens. This also occurs in the Outlook Web Portal that my
> school uses for email. Most recently, I needed to download a pdf
> containing
> new-hire paperwork for a new job and again, the download link opens a
> pop-up
> window that remains a blank white box. Unfortunately, this particular
> site
> only works with Internet Explorer, so I'm stuck unless we can find and fix
> the problem. The page that the link is trying to open up appears to be an
> asp page, launched from another asp page, if that helps.
>
> So far, I've reduced the security to the lowest settings I can, I've made
> sure that all associated plug-ins and add-ons are installed and updated,
> I've
> tried opening the link after disabling all add-ons, and I've disabled my
> virus protection and firewall. Please note that these links all work fine
> in
> the most current version of Firefox. I'm at a loss as to what else to do.
> Prior to the recent development, this has been merely an annoyance that I
> could work around with Firefox, but now, it's a critical problem for which
> I've been unable to find a solution.
>
> I would really appreciate some help on this.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Download links that open pop-up windows aren't working in IE8 on W

"TDuke" <TDuke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0009E234-9965-4094-8664-F29CB9BB8009@microsoft.com...
> I'm running IE 8 on the Windows 7 RC. Since the initial installation, I've
> had to use Firefox for most of my browsing because IE8 doesn't open download
> links that open pop-up windows. I'm taking online classes and a large part
> of my coursework involves viewing the artwork of other students and providing
> critiques. If I click on a link to download and view the artwork, a window
> pops up, but remains blank and the cursor indicates that it's working, though
> nothing ever happens. This also occurs in the Outlook Web Portal that my
> school uses for email.

Use View Source (Alt-V,c) to see what your "blank" page really implies.
E.g. if it is HTML make sure that it has the </html> end tag.

> Most recently, I needed to download a pdf containing
> new-hire paperwork for a new job and again, the download link opens a pop-up
> window that remains a blank white box. Unfortunately, this particular site
> only works with Internet Explorer, so I'm stuck unless we can find and fix
> the problem. The page that the link is trying to open up appears to be an
> asp page, launched from another asp page, if that helps.

Again, you could probably achieve a workaround via View Source.
E.g. the URL of the .pdf download may be visible that way and
thus allow you to continue simulating what you have been unable
to diagnose.

> So far, I've reduced the security to the lowest settings I can, I've made
> sure that all associated plug-ins and add-ons are installed and updated, I've
> tried opening the link after disabling all add-ons, and I've disabled my
> virus protection and firewall. Please note that these links all work fine in
> the most current version of Firefox. I'm at a loss as to what else to do.
> Prior to the recent development, this has been merely an annoyance that I
> could work around with Firefox, but now, it's a critical problem for which
> I've been unable to find a solution.

If Firefox is working, that probably means that it is presenting a User-Agent
string that is different from the one that IE8 is presenting. Have you tried
using IE8's Compatibility button? That would modify the UA string to show
MSIE 7.0 instead of MSIE 8.0. Alternatively, you could download and
use a User-Agent Picker tool to make IE fake any combination of brower
and OS that the site liked and worked more compatibly with IE.

> I would really appreciate some help on this.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

TDuke

Re: Download links that open pop-up windows aren't working in IE8
Hi,

Thanks for the quick response, but I'm not on the school network, I'm at my
home, and, as I said before, I've already checked the add-ons and have run it
without the add-ons enabled. There are no 3rd party add-ons installed beyond
java and flash/shockwave players. I don't install so much as a search
toolbar on my systems because I know what a pain they can be and how often
they tend to interfere with functions that are actually useful. The security
has been both reset to the defaults and stripped to the bare minimum, neither
had any effect. I really don't think the issue is with the school's network
because it's exhibiting this behavior on any site that uses this type of
download link. Also, I have tried opening the sites in compatibility mode
and it makes no difference.

It's entirely possible that all of these sites are written in a manner that
isn't supported by IE8, but if this IS the case, what's the solution?

"rob^_^" wrote:

> [...]
> > asp page, launched from another asp page, if that helps.
> >
> > So far, I've reduced the security to the lowest settings I can, I've made
> > sure that all associated plug-ins and add-ons are installed and updated,
> > I've
> > tried opening the link after disabling all add-ons, and I've disabled my
> > virus protection and firewall. Please note that these links all work fine
> > in
> > the most current version of Firefox. I'm at a loss as to what else to do.
> > Prior to the recent development, this has been merely an annoyance that I
> > could work around with Firefox, but now, it's a critical problem for which
> > I've been unable to find a solution.
> >
> > I would really appreciate some help on this.

TDuke

Re: Download links that open pop-up windows aren't working in IE8
As I mentioned in my last post, I have tried it in compatibility mode and
there is no difference. The pop-up download window is still blank. As far
as the View Source option goes, I'm afraid it isn't an option for the blank
window. There's no menu bar at the top of the window and the right click
menu doesn't come up. The cursor just sits there indicating that the page is
that they've tried opening the site on a Win7 machine with IE 8 and the
download page apparently works fine for them.

Just to make sure there was no other interference, I actually tried
uninstalling my anti-virus and firewall today. There's still no change.
I've gone through the addons one by one and no combination of enabled or
disabled addons I've found so far makes any change. If I disable java, the
starting page won't come up at all, but that's the only difference.

Presently, I'm looking for a way to completely reset the installation of
IE8. Something has to work.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "TDuke" <TDuke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0009E234-9965-4094-8664-F29CB9BB8009@microsoft.com...
> > I'm running IE 8 on the Windows 7 RC. Since the initial installation, I've
> > had to use Firefox for most of my browsing because IE8 doesn't open download
> > links that open pop-up windows. I'm taking online classes and a large part
> > of my coursework involves viewing the artwork of other students and providing
> > critiques. If I click on a link to download and view the artwork, a window
> > pops up, but remains blank and the cursor indicates that it's working, though
> > nothing ever happens. This also occurs in the Outlook Web Portal that my
> > school uses for email.

> Use View Source (Alt-V,c) to see what your "blank" page really implies.
> E.g. if it is HTML make sure that it has the </html> end tag.
>

> > Most recently, I needed to download a pdf containing
> > new-hire paperwork for a new job and again, the download link opens a pop-up
> > window that remains a blank white box. Unfortunately, this particular site
> > only works with Internet Explorer, so I'm stuck unless we can find and fix
> > the problem. The page that the link is trying to open up appears to be an
> > asp page, launched from another asp page, if that helps.

> Again, you could probably achieve a workaround via View Source.
> E.g. the URL of the .pdf download may be visible that way and
> thus allow you to continue simulating what you have been unable
> to diagnose.
>

> > So far, I've reduced the security to the lowest settings I can, I've made
> > sure that all associated plug-ins and add-ons are installed and updated, I've
> > tried opening the link after disabling all add-ons, and I've disabled my
> > virus protection and firewall. Please note that these links all work fine in
> > the most current version of Firefox. I'm at a loss as to what else to do.
> > Prior to the recent development, this has been merely an annoyance that I
> > could work around with Firefox, but now, it's a critical problem for which
> > I've been unable to find a solution.

> If Firefox is working, that probably means that it is presenting a User-Agent
> string that is different from the one that IE8 is presenting. Have you tried
> using IE8's Compatibility button? That would modify the UA string to show
> MSIE 7.0 instead of MSIE 8.0. Alternatively, you could download and
> use a User-Agent Picker tool to make IE fake any combination of brower
> and OS that the site liked and worked more compatibly with IE.
>

> > I would really appreciate some help on this.

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Robert Aldwinckle

"TDuke" <TDuke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0AD03D62-3A10-497D-B579-957A5CF92EB2@microsoft.com...
> As I mentioned in my last post, I have tried it in compatibility mode and
> there is no difference. The pop-up download window is still blank. As far
> as the View Source option goes, I'm afraid it isn't an option for the blank
> window.

> There's no menu bar at the top of the window

That's why I suggested using Alt-V. You don't need to see the menu bar
to use its keyboard shortcuts. If it is really a popup window which has
somehow disabled the use of a menu bar you could try pressing Ctrl-N
to clone it. Cloned windows often have greater usability than the originals.
Otherwise it sounds like it might not be an IE window at all and just some
kind of dialog window. You might get a clue about that from netstat.
E.g. in a cmd window enter: netstat -abv
Looks like it would also help to know the PID of the process associated
with the window, so use Task Manager's Go To Process command to
see that. Process Explorer would be another tool which could get you
some information about the specific threads opened by that task.
If you also have an otherwise identical example where it worked normally
you could also trace both cases with ProcMon and then compare the traces
to try to identify some essential differences about the problem case.

> and the right click
> menu doesn't come up. The cursor just sits there indicating that the page is

Then you could try using Fiddler2 to see how far you are getting.

> I've been told by the company's IT personnel
> that they've tried opening the site on a Win7 machine with IE 8 and the
> download page apparently works fine for them.
>
> Just to make sure there was no other interference, I actually tried
> uninstalling my anti-virus and firewall today. There's still no change.
> I've gone through the addons one by one and no combination of enabled or
> disabled addons I've found so far makes any change.

> If I disable java, the starting page won't come up at all, but that's the only difference.

Have you tried _uninstalling_ Java, then seeing if you get a prompt
from that page to install it? I'm pretty sure that an OWA site would not
require Java, so if you're seeing some kind of Java effect on that it might
be due to something that isn't even required normally so uninstalling Java
might further inhibit whatever it is that apparently uses it. ; )

> Presently, I'm looking for a way to completely reset the installation of
> IE8. Something has to work.

I think doing some more diagnosis would be a more effective approach.

Good luck

Robert
---

> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>

>> "TDuke" <TDuke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0009E234-9965-4094-8664-F29CB9BB8009@microsoft.com...
>> > I'm running IE 8 on the Windows 7 RC. Since the initial installation, I've
>> > had to use Firefox for most of my browsing because IE8 doesn't open download
>> > links that open pop-up windows. I'm taking online classes and a large part
>> > of my coursework involves viewing the artwork of other students and providing
>> > critiques. If I click on a link to download and view the artwork, a window
>> > pops up, but remains blank and the cursor indicates that it's working, though
>> > nothing ever happens. This also occurs in the Outlook Web Portal that my
>> > school uses for email.

>> Use View Source (Alt-V,c) to see what your "blank" page really implies.
>> E.g. if it is HTML make sure that it has the </html> end tag.
>>

>> > Most recently, I needed to download a pdf containing
>> > new-hire paperwork for a new job and again, the download link opens a pop-up
>> > window that remains a blank white box. Unfortunately, this particular site
>> > only works with Internet Explorer, so I'm stuck unless we can find and fix
>> > the problem. The page that the link is trying to open up appears to be an
>> > asp page, launched from another asp page, if that helps.

>> Again, you could probably achieve a workaround via View Source.
>> E.g. the URL of the .pdf download may be visible that way and
>> thus allow you to continue simulating what you have been unable
>> to diagnose.
>>

>> > So far, I've reduced the security to the lowest settings I can, I've made
>> > sure that all associated plug-ins and add-ons are installed and updated, I've
>> > tried opening the link after disabling all add-ons, and I've disabled my
>> > virus protection and firewall. Please note that these links all work fine in
>> > the most current version of Firefox. I'm at a loss as to what else to do.
>> > Prior to the recent development, this has been merely an annoyance that I
>> > could work around with Firefox, but now, it's a critical problem for which
>> > I've been unable to find a solution.

>> If Firefox is working, that probably means that it is presenting a User-Agent
>> string that is different from the one that IE8 is presenting. Have you tried
>> using IE8's Compatibility button? That would modify the UA string to show
>> MSIE 7.0 instead of MSIE 8.0. Alternatively, you could download and
>> use a User-Agent Picker tool to make IE fake any combination of brower
>> and OS that the site liked and worked more compatibly with IE.
>>

>> > I would really appreciate some help on this.

>> Good luck
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle
>> ---

TDuke

Re: Download links that open pop-up windows aren't working in IE8
The site I'm working with right now, isn't the OWA site, it's the one I
mentioned for my new employer. The page does rely partially on java to work,
and yes, I have a brand new installation of java. Looking at the source code
of the originating page, it appears, as I suspected, that the page it's
trying to load is an asp page linking to the pdf files that I need. I've
done every troubleshooting step of which I can think with the associated
Adobe plugins, but they don't seem to have any effect on the problem. Last
night, I tried disabling IE8 through the control panel and then re-enabled
it, hoping it might reset it somehow. There has been no change, however, so
there are still no solutions forthcoming.

I tried netstat and the -b parameter returns a message that it requires
elevation. I'm not sure what that means since it's been way too long since
I've actually had to think about any of this stuff, much less use it. As for
tracking down the PID and comparing it, well, I can get the PID easily
enough, but since this particular function has never worked on any website
since I installed Windows 7, I have nothing with which to compare it. I'll
look for Fiddler2 and see if I can make some sense out of that.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> [...]

> Robert
> ---

> >> Use View Source (Alt-V,c) to see what your "blank" page really implies.
> >> E.g. if it is HTML make sure that it has the </html> end tag.

> >> Again, you could probably achieve a workaround via View Source.
> >> E.g. the URL of the .pdf download may be visible that way and
> >> thus allow you to continue simulating what you have been unable
> >> to diagnose.

> >> If Firefox is working, that probably means that it is presenting a User-Agent
> >> string that is different from the one that IE8 is presenting. Have you tried
> >> using IE8's Compatibility button? That would modify the UA string to show
> >> MSIE 7.0 instead of MSIE 8.0. Alternatively, you could download and
> >> use a User-Agent Picker tool to make IE fake any combination of brower
> >> and OS that the site liked and worked more compatibly with IE.

TDuke

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> [...]

> Robert
> ---

> >> Use View Source (Alt-V,c) to see what your "blank" page really implies.
> >> E.g. if it is HTML make sure that it has the </html> end tag.

> >> Again, you could probably achieve a workaround via View Source.
> >> E.g. the URL of the .pdf download may be visible that way and
> >> thus allow you to continue simulating what you have been unable
> >> to diagnose.

> >> If Firefox is working, that probably means that it is presenting a User-Agent
> >> string that is different from the one that IE8 is presenting. Have you tried
> >> using IE8's Compatibility button? That would modify the UA string to show
> >> MSIE 7.0 instead of MSIE 8.0. Alternatively, you could download and
> >> use a User-Agent Picker tool to make IE fake any combination of brower
> >> and OS that the site liked and worked more compatibly with IE.

TDuke

Re: Download links that open pop-up windows aren't working in IE8
New information: It's apparently not only download links. The training
videos that come with 3DSMax 2010 try to open a page in Internet Explorer.
These pages act the same way with a blank white page, the busy cursor icon,
and no ability to view source.

Andyhaas

Re: Download links that open pop-up windows aren't working in IE8
I have the same problem where a blank page pops up to download an Excel
spreadsheet or PDF file, it beeps and closes.

I think I just figured out that in the zone that the web page is in (usually
the internet zone) you need to change the secureity parameter "Automatic
Prompting for File Downloads" to ENABLE. In my instance the default is
DISABLE.

I am not sure if you want to open this for the INTERNET zone. It may be
wiser to move the site to a trusted zone or intranet zone, but in either case
changing this parameter makes the pop up prompt me to OPEN or SAVE the
spreadsheet or PDF and the process continues.