Download links that open pop-up windows aren't working in IE8 on W

TDuke

Re: Download links that open pop-up windows aren't working in IE8
Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already changed that setting and either
enabled or set to prompt for just about everything else there is in the
security settings that might limit the operation of these pages. There's
still no change. If any application executes any kind of scripts that causes
internet explorer to open a pop-up window, I get the same behavior. It
doesn't make any sense at all to me.

"Andyhaas" wrote:

> I have the same problem where a blank page pops up to download an Excel
> spreadsheet or PDF file, it beeps and closes.
>
> I think I just figured out that in the zone that the web page is in (usually
> the internet zone) you need to change the secureity parameter "Automatic
> Prompting for File Downloads" to ENABLE. In my instance the default is
> DISABLE.
>
> I am not sure if you want to open this for the INTERNET zone. It may be
> wiser to move the site to a trusted zone or intranet zone, but in either case
> changing this parameter makes the pop up prompt me to OPEN or SAVE the
> spreadsheet or PDF and the process continues.
>

> "TDuke" wrote:
>
> > New information: It's apparently not only download links. The training
> > videos that come with 3DSMax 2010 try to open a page in Internet Explorer.
> > These pages act the same way with a blank white page, the busy cursor icon,
> > and no ability to view source.

WJ

On Aug 13, 3:29*pm, TDuke <TD...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already changed that setting and either
> enabled or set to prompt for just about everything else there is in the
> security settings that might limit the operation of these pages. *There's
> still no change. *If any application executes any kind of scripts that causes
> internet explorer to open a pop-up window, I get the same behavior. *It
> doesn't make any sense at all to me.
>

> "Andyhaas" wrote:
> > I have the same problem where a blank page pops up to download an Excel
> > spreadsheet or PDF file, it beeps and closes.

> > I think I just figured out that in the zone that the web page is in (usually
> > the internet zone) you need to change the secureity parameter "Automatic
> > Prompting for File Downloads" to ENABLE. *In my instance the default is
> > DISABLE.

> > I am not sure if you want to open this for the INTERNET zone. *It maybe
> > wiser to move the site to a trusted zone or intranet zone, but in either case
> > changing this parameter makes the pop up prompt me to OPEN or SAVE the
> > spreadsheet or PDF and the process continues.

> > "TDuke" wrote:

> > > New information: *It's apparently not only download links. *The training
> > > videos that come with 3DSMax 2010 try to open a page in Internet Explorer. *
> > > These pages act the same way with a blank white page, the busy cursoricon,
> > > and no ability to view source.- Hide quoted text -

I have had the same problem and have been trying all suggestions to
resolve it for several days, including uninstalling IE8. This morning
I happened upon a fix that WORKED for me. >internet options
>advanced>restore advanced settings.

I have no idea what it changed in the advanced settings but everything
works now. PDR files and download link pop ups.
I only hope that this will work for others as it has been a
frustrating problem for me to be sure.

WJ

TDuke

Re: Download links that open pop-up windows aren't working in IE8
Thanks for the tip. This hasn't completely fixed the problem, but at least
now, after resetting everything, I have the option to stop and refresh, at
which time the stuck control does bring up the file download confirmation
window. It's progress!

Unfortunately, the tutorial videos still won't launch out of 3DSMax, but
with a quick F5, I can at least see the path, so perhaps I can find a
workaround for that yet.

Microsoft guys: Obviously, this isn't just me. I also noticed a problem in
one of the developers forums that seemed to be related, so what gives?
What's creating this problem on Windows 7? This is a pretty huge problem for
some of us and I hope it's being taken seriously.