Quickly Adding a site in IE8 to Favorites

OREALLY

Quickly Adding a site in IE8 to Favorites
Just installed IE8. Notice that in IE7 (and 6) you could drag an icon of a
site from the address bar to the 'links' in the upper right hand corner. I'd
rather disable the favorites bar in IE8 because it just clutters up the
toolbars. But how can I drag the site icon to the favorites so they show up
when I click on the links tab on the taskbar?

Thanks,

Oreally

rob^_^

Re: Quickly Adding a site in IE8 to Favorites
Hi,

The Favorites Bar replaces the IE Links toolbar, your actual Links subfolder
under your user Favorites folder is still there and is used for the Taskbar
Links toolbar.

To add a page to your Task bar Links toolbar, just drag and drop it on a
sub-folder on the Tasks bar Links toolbar,
or
from IE, select either the Add to Favorites context or Favorites menu and
select the Favorites>Favorites Bar sub folder.

(I know its confusing.... from explorer {User}\Favorites\Links exists, IE8
just renames the Favorites\Links folder to Favorites\Favorites Bar for
display purposes in IE only.)

Regards.

"OREALLY" <oreally@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Just installed IE8. Notice that in IE7 (and 6) you could drag an icon of a
> site from the address bar to the 'links' in the upper right hand corner.
> I'd rather disable the favorites bar in IE8 because it just clutters up
> the toolbars. But how can I drag the site icon to the favorites so they
> show up when I click on the links tab on the taskbar?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Oreally

OREALLY

Re: Quickly Adding a site in IE8 to Favorites
This does not seem possible (unless I'm missing something). The taskbar
links toolbar does not seem to accept pages from IE. It would be great if it
did. Let me know how you do this.

Thanks,

Oreally

">
> To add a page to your Task bar Links toolbar, just drag and drop it on a
> sub-folder on the Tasks bar Links toolbar,
> or

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Quickly Adding a site in IE8 to Favorites

"OREALLY" <oreally@comcast.net> wrote in message news:uH9FszrFKHA.1492@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Just installed IE8. Notice that in IE7 (and 6) you could drag an icon of a
> site from the address bar to the 'links' in the upper right hand corner. I'd
> rather disable the favorites bar in IE8 because it just clutters up the
> toolbars.

You don't have to see the links as buttons. Just unlock the Toolbars
and drag the Favorites Bar so that the only thing that shows is its
chrevrons...

Hmm... apparently you need to have something else that is big enough
to push it that tightly closed. In Fullscreen mode the Command bar
may not be big enough to do that.

Otherwise what you could do, without having to drag anything,
would be to uncheck the Favorites Bar and then use the Add to Favorites
Bar command in the Favorites menu. E.g. press Alt-a,B

> But how can I drag the site icon to the favorites so they show up
> when I click on the links tab on the taskbar?

Quickest would be to use the new Add to Favorites Bar button.
One click; no dragging.

Remember: the Favorites Bar is just a new label for the old
implementation. The actual subdirectory it adds to is still
%USERPROFILE%\Favorites\Links.

> Thanks,
>
> Oreally

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

OREALLY

Re: Quickly Adding a site in IE8 to Favorites
Cool!...Thanks

> "OREALLY" <oreally@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Just installed IE8. Notice that in IE7 (and 6) you could drag an icon of
>> site from the address bar to the 'links' in the upper right hand corner.
>> I'd
>> rather disable the favorites bar in IE8 because it just clutters up the
>> toolbars.

> You don't have to see the links as buttons. Just unlock the Toolbars
> and drag the Favorites Bar so that the only thing that shows is its
> chrevrons...
>
> Hmm... apparently you need to have something else that is big enough
> to push it that tightly closed. In Fullscreen mode the Command bar
> may not be big enough to do that.
>
> Otherwise what you could do, without having to drag anything,
> would be to uncheck the Favorites Bar and then use the Add to Favorites
> Bar command in the Favorites menu. E.g. press Alt-a,B
>

>> But how can I drag the site icon to the favorites so they show up
>> when I click on the links tab on the taskbar?

> Quickest would be to use the new Add to Favorites Bar button.
> One click; no dragging.
>
> Remember: the Favorites Bar is just a new label for the old
> implementation. The actual subdirectory it adds to is still
> %USERPROFILE%\Favorites\Links.
>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Oreally

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

rob^_^

Re: Quickly Adding a site in IE8 to Favorites
AHa!

So that's the purpose of the Add to Favorites Bar button.

It will add the current page to the Favorites Bar (and create a Internet
Shortcut file (.url) in the Favorites/Links folder) without prompting for
the folder to save it to. You can drag and drop that new shortcut from the
Favorites bar to a Favorites or Links subfolder...

This name change makes it confusing..

Regards.

> "OREALLY" <oreally@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Just installed IE8. Notice that in IE7 (and 6) you could drag an icon of
>> site from the address bar to the 'links' in the upper right hand corner.
>> I'd
>> rather disable the favorites bar in IE8 because it just clutters up the
>> toolbars.

> You don't have to see the links as buttons. Just unlock the Toolbars
> and drag the Favorites Bar so that the only thing that shows is its
> chrevrons...
>
> Hmm... apparently you need to have something else that is big enough
> to push it that tightly closed. In Fullscreen mode the Command bar
> may not be big enough to do that.
>
> Otherwise what you could do, without having to drag anything,
> would be to uncheck the Favorites Bar and then use the Add to Favorites
> Bar command in the Favorites menu. E.g. press Alt-a,B
>

>> But how can I drag the site icon to the favorites so they show up
>> when I click on the links tab on the taskbar?

> Quickest would be to use the new Add to Favorites Bar button.
> One click; no dragging.
>
> Remember: the Favorites Bar is just a new label for the old
> implementation. The actual subdirectory it adds to is still
> %USERPROFILE%\Favorites\Links.
>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Oreally

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

OREALLY

Re: Quickly Adding a site in IE8 to Favorites
How can I open a new tab with a single or doublr mouse click? (IE8)

Oreally

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

OREALLY wrote:

> How can I open a new tab with a single or doublr mouse click? (IE8)
>
> Oreally

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f0d4f1033.mspx
"Internet Explorer 8 keyboard shortcuts".

--
Vincenzo Di Russo