IE8...Why is Compatibility Mode Needed on Windows Update Web Site?

Aravaipa

IE8...Why is Compatibility Mode Needed on Windows Update Web Site?
With my one machine running XP Pro, SP2 with IE8 the Windows Update web site
(and certain other Microsoft web sites) 'require' the use of the
compatibility mode feature. With my other machine running XP Home, SP3, IE8
I have never 'needed' compatibility mode on the Windows Update web site. Why
would any Microsoft web site appear as needing compatibility mode? Is there
some hidden setting that needs to be changed within IE8?

I appreciate your time and expertise.

Re: IE8...Why is Compatibility Mode Needed on Windows Update Web Site?
Why isn't SP3 installed yet?

About IE7 & IE8 and Windows XP Service Pack 3

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
www.banthecheck.com

Aravaipa wrote:
> With my one machine running XP Pro, SP2 with IE8 the Windows Update web
> site
> (and certain other Microsoft web sites) 'require' the use of the
> compatibility mode feature. With my other machine running XP Home, SP3,
> IE8
> I have never 'needed' compatibility mode on the Windows Update web site.
> Why would any Microsoft web site appear as needing compatibility mode? Is
> there some hidden setting that needs to be changed within IE8?
>
> I appreciate your time and expertise.

Aravaipa

Re: IE8...Why is Compatibility Mode Needed on Windows Update Web S
I appreciate your response. I’ve installed SP3 a couple times but I can only
start in safe mode after installing SP3 (and then uninstalling SP3). I’ve
gone through numerous fix procedures with no success. SP3 may not compatible
with my WLAN Adaptor which I’m looking into. Next I may try removing the
unsigned drivers or try a clean boot trouble-shoot procedure. That’s a
problem for another thread. :-)

It’s an Alienware ‘mobile desktop’…a nice machine but about 3 years old now.
I recently had to replace the motherboard. I don’t recall if any AV
software was preinstalled when I bought it. Norton AV 2008 and Zone Alarm
Pro were recently uninstalled (even using separate uninstall tools) and a
current version of Norton Internet Security 2009 was installed. It seems to
be running 5x5 now with the new motherboard and newly installed NIS 2009.

AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy were uninstalled quite some time ago
prior to IE8. I do have Defender installed.

Its 'possible' Norton or Zone Alarm Pro were running when IE8 was installed
but I generally shut those off when installing software. If either were
running and corrupted the IE8 install should I uninstall/reinstall IE8 making
sure the firewall and AV are shutoff?

I will try your other suggestions as time permits later this evening and
check back. I very much appreciate your time and expertise.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Why isn't SP3 installed yet?
>
> About IE7 & IE8 and Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx
>
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).

> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>
> 4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
> IE8?
>
> 4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>
> 5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> Aravaipa wrote:
> > With my one machine running XP Pro, SP2 with IE8 the Windows Update web
> > site
> > (and certain other Microsoft web sites) 'require' the use of the
> > compatibility mode feature. With my other machine running XP Home, SP3,
> > IE8
> > I have never 'needed' compatibility mode on the Windows Update web site.
> > Why would any Microsoft web site appear as needing compatibility mode? Is
> > there some hidden setting that needs to be changed within IE8?
> >
> > I appreciate your time and expertise.

Aravaipa

Re: IE8...Why is Compatibility Mode Needed on Windows Update Web S
OK, I had time to try your other suggestions as follows:

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Yes it does.

I reset IE settings and compatibility mode was still needed on the Windows
Update website.

Yes, I went into safe mode w/networking and compatibility mode was still
required on the Windows Update website.

I'm open to further suggestions at this point. I appreciate your direction.

"Aravaipa" wrote:

> [...]
> > have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
> > www.banthecheck.com
> >

> > Aravaipa wrote:
> > > With my one machine running XP Pro, SP2 with IE8 the Windows Update web
> > > site
> > > (and certain other Microsoft web sites) 'require' the use of the
> > > compatibility mode feature. With my other machine running XP Home, SP3,
> > > IE8
> > > I have never 'needed' compatibility mode on the Windows Update web site.
> > > Why would any Microsoft web site appear as needing compatibility mode? Is
> > > there some hidden setting that needs to be changed within IE8?
> > >
> > > I appreciate your time and expertise.

Re: IE8...Why is Compatibility Mode Needed on Windows Update Web S
I suspect the behavior is due to Norton's and ZoneAlarm's real-time
protections running in the background when you installed IE8.

If you want, you can...

1. DIsable NAV and ZA then enable the Windows Firewall.

2. Uninstall IE8 & reboot twice.

[If I were you, I'd stop here & then get SP3 and all post-SP3 updates
installed before even thinking about reinstalling IE8!]

3. Repeat #1 above.

4. Reinstall IE8 & reboot twice.

Tips:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx

NB: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When you're prepared
to install IE8, double-click on the saved file.

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior to
reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to see
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]

=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then check-in at
Windows Update and install any critical security updates offered.

=> For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
application version, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender),
and your third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 before you
decide install it.