IE8 Send Page/Link Commands Do Not Work

George

IE8 Send Page/Link Commands Do Not Work
The 'Send Page/Link by email' commands are greyed out. I'm using IE8
(32 bit), Vista 64 and Windows Live email client. The funny thing is
the commands work using IE8 (64 bit). Any ideas why the 32 bit IE8 is
busted while the 64 bit version works?

I'm considering swiching the default brower to the 64 bit version. Is
there any reason not to us the 64 bit version?

Thanks,

George
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE8 Send Page/Link Commands Do Not Work
(cross-post added to Windows Live Mail)
"George" <aglozier@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:0c70983e-0030-4ddf-899d-06741454570a@c14g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...
> The 'Send Page/Link by email' commands are greyed out. I'm using IE8
> (32 bit), Vista 64 and Windows Live email client. The funny thing is
> the commands work using IE8 (64 bit). Any ideas why the 32 bit IE8 is
> busted while the 64 bit version works?

Does WLMail have a 64-bit version? Perhaps you installed that?

What happens if you just Run... (e.g. press Win-R and enter
mailto:

You could also try entering that from an IE Address bar for comparison.

If that doesn't work as expected you can try to check why by entering
in a cmd window (aka Command Prompt):

ftype mailto

However, that wouldn't show the whole story. E.g. there could be
conflicting information in the registry that would be causing your
symptom. So the best diagnostic IMO would be to Run... ProcMon
to capture both cases and compare their traces.

> I'm considering swiching the default brower to the 64 bit version. Is
> there any reason not to us the 64 bit version?

I'd ask that question in a newsgroup which specializes in your OS. ; )

> Thanks,
>
> George

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

George

On Aug 7, 6:00*pm, "Robert Aldwinckle" <rob...@techemail.com> wrote:
> (cross-post added to *Windows Live Mail)
>
> "George" <agloz...@hotmail.com> wrote in messagenews:0c70983e-0030-4ddf-899d-06741454570a@c14g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...
> > The 'Send Page/Link by email' commands are greyed out. *I'm using IE8
> > (32 bit), Vista 64 and Windows Live email client. *The funny thing is
> > the commands work using IE8 (64 bit). *Any ideas why the 32 bit IE8 is
> > busted while the 64 bit version works?

> Does *WLMail *have a 64-bit version? *Perhaps you installed that?

WLMail is installed in the x86 program folder which would indicate it
is 32 bit code.

> What happens if you just *Run... *(e.g. press Win-R and enter
> * * mailto:

WLMail runs.

> You could also try entering that from an IE Address bar for comparison.

WLMail runs. Thus WLMail runs in both cases.

> However, that wouldn't show the whole story. *E.g. there could be
> conflicting information in the registry that would be causing your
> symptom. * So the best diagnostic IMO would be to Run... *ProcMon
> to capture both cases and compare their traces.

I believe you are sugesting this in the case WLMail did NOT run in
both of the above case.

I can get access to two other computers with Vista 64 and WLMail.
I'll check to see if they both have this issue.

> > Thanks,

> > George

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

George
Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

George wrote:

> The 'Send Page/Link by email' commands are greyed out. I'm using IE8
> (32 bit), Vista 64 and Windows Live email client. The funny thing is
> the commands work using IE8 (64 bit). Any ideas why the 32 bit IE8 is
> busted while the 64 bit version works?
>
> I'm considering swiching the default brower to the 64 bit version. Is
> there any reason not to us the 64 bit version?
>
> Thanks,
>
> George

http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html
See if the article helps.

--
Vincenzo Di Russo

"George" <aglozier@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:208bf822-8122-486e-aab6-f8cab4f20426@e4g2000vbe.googlegroups.com...
> On Aug 7, 6:00pm, "Robert Aldwinckle" <rob...@techemail.com> wrote:
>> (cross-post added to Windows Live Mail)
>>
>> "George" <agloz...@hotmail.com> wrote in messagenews:0c70983e-0030-4ddf-899d-06741454570a@c14g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...
>> > The 'Send Page/Link by email' commands are greyed out. I'm using IE8
>> > (32 bit), Vista 64 and Windows Live email client. The funny thing is
>> > the commands work using IE8 (64 bit). Any ideas why the 32 bit IE8 is
>> > busted while the 64 bit version works?

>> Does WLMail have a 64-bit version? Perhaps you installed that?

> WLMail is installed in the x86 program folder which would indicate it
> is 32 bit code.
>

>> What happens if you just Run... (e.g. press Win-R and enter
>> mailto:

> WLMail runs.
>

>> You could also try entering that from an IE Address bar for comparison.

> WLMail runs. Thus WLMail runs in both cases.

Then the problem will be somewhere in the sendmail.dll

>> However, that wouldn't show the whole story. E.g. there could be
>> conflicting information in the registry that would be causing your
>> symptom. So the best diagnostic IMO would be to Run... ProcMon
>> to capture both cases and compare their traces.
>>

> I believe you are sugesting this in the case WLMail did NOT run in
> both of the above case.

No. I was thinking that you have two cases, albeit 32 vs 64,
which may be similar enough to compare for more clues.

> I can get access to two other computers with Vista 64 and WLMail.
> I'll check to see if they both have this issue.

Yes. Getting different results in indentical OS would be even better
and make your comparing their traces easier. ; )

Good luck

Robert
---

>> > Thanks,

>> > George

>> HTH
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle
>> ---

> George

R. C. White

Re: IE8 Send Page/Link Commands Do Not Work
Hi, Robert.

> Does WLMail have a 64-bit version? Perhaps you installed that?

No. WLMail is 32-bit only (so far, at least). In a 64-bit Windows version,
the 64-bit applications folder C:\Program Files\Windows Live is empty except
for a part of Family Safety. All the rest of Windows Live Essentials
(WLMail, WLMessenger, WLPhoto Gallery, etc.) are only in the 32-bit folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live.

Of course, in a 32-bit Windows (WinXP, Vista, Win7), there is no "Program
Files (x86)" folder. All the apps are in Program Files - and all are
32-bit, obviously.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA