What is in C:\Documents and Settings\siegfried\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\?

Siegfried Heintze

What is in C:\Documents and Settings\siegfried\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\?
I see that C:\Documents and Settings\siegfried\Local Settings\Temporary
Internet Files\? consuming 1.71 GB! What would I loose if I deleted all
these files? I already went into tools->internet options->delete and clicked
Form data, history, temporary interent files and preserve favorite website
dat.

Do I have 1.7GB of passwords and cookies?

Thanks,
Siegfried

Leonard Grey

Re: What is in C:\Documents and Settings\siegfried\Local Settings\TemporaryInternet Files\?
Look inside and let us know.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Siegfried Heintze wrote:
> I see that C:\Documents and Settings\siegfried\Local Settings\Temporary
> Internet Files\? consuming 1.71 GB! What would I loose if I deleted all
> these files? I already went into tools->internet options->delete and clicked
> Form data, history, temporary interent files and preserve favorite website
> dat.
>
> Do I have 1.7GB of passwords and cookies?
>
> Thanks,
> Siegfried

VanguardLH

Siegfried Heintze wrote:

> I see that C:\Documents and Settings\siegfried\Local Settings\Temporary
> Internet Files\? consuming 1.71 GB! What would I loose if I deleted all
> these files? I already went into tools->internet options->delete and clicked
> Form data, history, temporary interent files and preserve favorite website
> dat.
>
> Do I have 1.7GB of passwords and cookies?

Where do you think the web browser gets the content of the web pages
that it renders (i.e. shows to you)? It downloads the files for the web
page(s) to your local host and then interprets their contents. While
some web pages may contain streamed content, they still must be
presented within a container (the "document"): that's the web page.

Go look at the options in your unidentified version of Internet
Explorer. Under advanced options is a setting to clear out the TIF when
you exit IE. In IE8, you'll want to look the General tab in options to
check what cleanup options you have configured.

http://www.google.com/search?q="what+is"+%2B"temporary+internet+files"+% 2Bfolder+%2B"internet+explorer"

Are you implying (because you didn't mention it) that you are clearing
the TIF via options in IE (some version) but there remains 1.7GB of
files in your TIF folder? If so, check if you are clearing the TIF
folder upon exit from IE. In IE8, check what items are selected for
when the TIF folder gets cleared. You might, for example, have the
Preserve option enabled in IE8 which means all the files for web pages
of sites in your Favorites list are left on your host for reuse upon
your return to those sites. That is, you might be clearing your TIF
folder but not for the sites in your Favorites list if the Preserve
option is enabled.