IE8 Problem: Closing Tabs

Pippen1963

IE8 Problem: Closing Tabs
Most of the times I click the "X" on a tab to close it, a window pops up
stating that "IE has stopped working". Windows then searches for a solution
to the "problem" when there is no problem. I, the user, am closing the tab.
IE8 ver. 8.0.6001.18813
Vista OS ver. 6.0 (Build 6002: Service Pack 2)

Windows once came up with a solution to reinstall Abobe Flash Player, which
I did, and that did NOT fix the problem.
Don Varnau

Re: IE8 Problem: Closing Tabs
Hi,
Start Internet Explorer without add-ons from:
Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
or
Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on installed.

For troubleshooting information see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426

Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked questions:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f9b7e1033.mspx

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Pippen1963" <Pippen1963@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Most of the times I click the "X" on a tab to close it, a window pops up
> stating that "IE has stopped working". Windows then searches for a

solution
> to the "problem" when there is no problem. I, the user, am closing the

tab.
> IE8 ver. 8.0.6001.18813
> Vista OS ver. 6.0 (Build 6002: Service Pack 2)
>
> Windows once came up with a solution to reinstall Abobe Flash Player,

which
> I did, and that did NOT fix the problem.

Pippen1963

Re: IE8 Problem: Closing Tabs
Thank You Don!!!

It was an add-on causing the problem. Also, it turns out that Windows was
on the right track when it suggested I reinstall Adobe Flash Player.

Through the process of elimination, I was able to determine the offending
add-on. This is the trouble-maker:

Adobe Shockwave Flash Object
File Date: 7/17/2009 8:12 PM
Version: 9.0.124.0

Hopefully the Microsoft and/or Adobe problem solvers can come up with a fix.

Is there an alternative add-on I can use in the mean time that will allow me
to view Flash content in my browser?

Thanks again,

Scott

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Start Internet Explorer without add-ons from:
> Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
> or
> Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
> If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on installed.
>
> For troubleshooting information see:
> IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
>
> 928426- Internet Explorer 7 may exit immediately when it includes an add-on
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426
>
> Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked questions:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f9b7e1033.mspx
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Pippen1963" <Pippen1963@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Most of the times I click the "X" on a tab to close it, a window pops up
> > stating that "IE has stopped working". Windows then searches for a

> solution
> > to the "problem" when there is no problem. I, the user, am closing the

> tab.
> > IE8 ver. 8.0.6001.18813
> > Vista OS ver. 6.0 (Build 6002: Service Pack 2)
> >
> > Windows once came up with a solution to reinstall Abobe Flash Player,

> which
> > I did, and that did NOT fix the problem.

Don Varnau

Re: IE8 Problem: Closing Tabs
Hi,
Sorry, I should have added...
Run the Flash uninstaller from
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled...fm?id=tn_14157
and the Shockwave uninstaller from
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14224.html
Then reinstall Flash.

More: Troubleshoot Adobe Flash Player installation for Windows:
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/view...nalId=tn_19166
-

> Thank You Don!!!
>
> It was an add-on causing the problem. Also, it turns out that Windows was
> on the right track when it suggested I reinstall Adobe Flash Player.
>
> Through the process of elimination, I was able to determine the offending
> add-on. This is the trouble-maker:
>
> Adobe Shockwave Flash Object
> File Date: 7/17/2009 8:12 PM
> Version: 9.0.124.0
>
> Hopefully the Microsoft and/or Adobe problem solvers can come up with a

fix.

> Is there an alternative add-on I can use in the mean time that will allow

me
> to view Flash content in my browser?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Scott

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Start Internet Explorer without add-ons from:
> > Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
> > or
> > Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
> > If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on

installed.

> > For troubleshooting information see:
> > IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
> > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
> >
> > 928426- Internet Explorer 7 may exit immediately when it includes an

add-on
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426
> >
> > Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked

questions:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f9b7e1033.mspx

> > "Pippen1963" <Pippen1963@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Most of the times I click the "X" on a tab to close it, a window pops

up
> > > stating that "IE has stopped working". Windows then searches for a

> > solution
> > > to the "problem" when there is no problem. I, the user, am closing the

> > tab.
> > > IE8 ver. 8.0.6001.18813
> > > Vista OS ver. 6.0 (Build 6002: Service Pack 2)
> > >
> > > Windows once came up with a solution to reinstall Abobe Flash Player,

> > which
> > > I did, and that did NOT fix the problem.

Pippen1963

Re: IE8 Problem: Closing Tabs
Hello,

Ok....I've carefully done all the steps below, twice. I even followed all
of the additional instructions on the download screen and in the tech notes.
Flash is still causing the same problem. I'm thinking there must be a bug in
that application.

Scott

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Sorry, I should have added...
> Run the Flash uninstaller from
> http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled...fm?id=tn_14157
> and the Shockwave uninstaller from
> http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14224.html
> Then reinstall Flash.
>
> More: Troubleshoot Adobe Flash Player installation for Windows:
> http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/view...nalId=tn_19166
> -
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Pippen1963" <Pippen1963@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank You Don!!!
> >
> > It was an add-on causing the problem. Also, it turns out that Windows was
> > on the right track when it suggested I reinstall Adobe Flash Player.
> >
> > Through the process of elimination, I was able to determine the offending
> > add-on. This is the trouble-maker:
> >
> > Adobe Shockwave Flash Object
> > File Date: 7/17/2009 8:12 PM
> > Version: 9.0.124.0
> >
> > Hopefully the Microsoft and/or Adobe problem solvers can come up with a

> fix.
> >
> > Is there an alternative add-on I can use in the mean time that will allow

> me
> > to view Flash content in my browser?
> >
> > Thanks again,
> >
> > Scott

> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > Start Internet Explorer without add-ons from:
> > > Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
> > > or
> > > Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
> > > If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on

> installed.
> > >
> > > For troubleshooting information see:
> > > IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
> > > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
> > >
> > > 928426- Internet Explorer 7 may exit immediately when it includes an

> add-on
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426
> > >
> > > Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked

> questions:
> > >

> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f9b7e1033.mspx
> > >

> > > "Pippen1963" <Pippen1963@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> up
> > > solution
> > > tab.

> > > which

Donald Anadell

Re: IE8 Problem: Closing Tabs

> Hello,
>
> Ok....I've carefully done all the steps below, twice. I even followed all
> of the additional instructions on the download screen and in the tech
> notes.
> Flash is still causing the same problem. I'm thinking there must be a bug
> in
> that application.

I would suggest you try the following to resolve your Flash Player issue.

As Don suggested already, download the manual Flash Player Uninstaller from
this link and save the file to your desktop:

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/f...ash_player.exe

Also download the Manual installer file for the Flash Player located at the
following link and save it also to your desktop:

http://www.macromedia.com/go/full_flashplayer_win_ie

After you've downloaded both files above, disconnect from the Internet and
temporarily disable any Real-Time Secruity Application(s) running in the
background on your machine.

Since you are using Windows Vista, you will want to run both of the files
you downloaded as Administrator, so rightclick on the Uninstaller file first
and run it as Administrator from the Desktop to completely remove the Flash
Player from your System.

Next, do the same with the Flash Player Installer file you download and
saved to your Desktop. It will install the latest public release of the
Flash Player to your System.

If the manual Uninstall||Reinstall of the Flash Player does not resolve your
issue then try seeking help with the installation from Adobe:

Adobe offers free email support(via a Web Case) for Flash Player
installation problems:

1. Go to the Adobe Support Portal:
http://www.adobe.com/go/supportportal/

2. When you get to the Support Portal page, click on the Button that says:
"Create an Account"

3. Once you've created an account with Adobe and you're logged in to that
Account, at the bottom of the page use the selector to select:
"Installation Help"

4. In the 'Choose product' category put a tick in the radial next to:
"Additional products"

5. From the selection menu select:
"Adobe Flash Player"

6. Now click the button that says "Continue"

You will taken to a page entitled:
"Create a support case"

7. Here you can type your support request and send it to Adobe

Good luck,

Donald Anadell