Why so many instances of iexplore.exe???

Kolohe Wiz

Why so many instances of iexplore.exe???
Since installing IE8 the system has started acted strange. A look at the task
manager may explain some of this problem as there are 4 instances of
iexplore.exe running even though there is only one window open in IE8.
Unfortunately there is no way to attach a screenshot to display what I am
referring to.
--
When all else fails dynamite appears to be the item of choice.
Helpful Helper

Re: Why so many instances of iexplore.exe???
IE8 runs tabs in different processes, with another process for the frame.

This is why, if one tab crashes, your whole window doesn't go down. This is
a stability/reliability feature. You can read more at the IE Blog
(http://blogs.msdn.com/ie), but here's a direct link to a posting that
explains most of it:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...liability.aspx.

This behavior is new to IE in IE8, but other browsers (like Google's Chrome)
do this is well.

"Kolohe Wiz" <KoloheWiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since installing IE8 the system has started acted strange. A look at the
> task
> manager may explain some of this problem as there are 4 instances of
> iexplore.exe running even though there is only one window open in IE8.
> Unfortunately there is no way to attach a screenshot to display what I am
> referring to.
> --
> When all else fails dynamite appears to be the item of choice.

Leonard Grey

Re: Why so many instances of iexplore.exe???
"Multiple Instances of iexplore.exe Run When Using Internet Explorer 8"
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/mu...et-explorer-8/
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Kolohe Wiz wrote:
> Since installing IE8 the system has started acted strange. A look at the task
> manager may explain some of this problem as there are 4 instances of
> iexplore.exe running even though there is only one window open in IE8.
> Unfortunately there is no way to attach a screenshot to display what I am
> referring to.

Kolohe Wiz

Re: Why so many instances of iexplore.exe???
Helpful Helper, you didn't read what I wrote: One window as in ONE TAB. There
is no other tab or window yet iexplore.exe has 4 instances running in the
task manager. If you use a real news reader you can see the screenshot
attachment.
--

"Helpful Helper" wrote:

> IE8 runs tabs in different processes, with another process for the frame.
>
> This is why, if one tab crashes, your whole window doesn't go down. This is
> a stability/reliability feature. You can read more at the IE Blog
> (http://blogs.msdn.com/ie), but here's a direct link to a posting that
> explains most of it:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...liability.aspx.
>
> This behavior is new to IE in IE8, but other browsers (like Google's Chrome)
> do this is well.
>

> "Kolohe Wiz" <KoloheWiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Since installing IE8 the system has started acted strange. A look at the
> > task
> > manager may explain some of this problem as there are 4 instances of
> > iexplore.exe running even though there is only one window open in IE8.
> > Unfortunately there is no way to attach a screenshot to display what I am
> > referring to.
> > --
> > When all else fails dynamite appears to be the item of choice.

Jean Rosenfeld

Re: Why so many instances of iexplore.exe???
As I open tabs more instances of iexplorer do indeed appear in task manager.
If I then close a tab, it takes a little while (not timed accurately, but
possibly a minute) before the corresponding ieexplorer process disappears
from task manager. Presumably the delay is by designl, in case you quickly
open another tab, it will open more quickly. But after that time the number
corresponds to the number of tabs, plus 1, as explained by others.

"Kolohe Wiz" <KoloheWiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since installing IE8 the system has started acted strange. A look at the
> task
> manager may explain some of this problem as there are 4 instances of
> iexplore.exe running even though there is only one window open in IE8.
> Unfortunately there is no way to attach a screenshot to display what I am
> referring to.
> --
> When all else fails dynamite appears to be the item of choice.

Re: Why so many instances of iexplore.exe???
Ya think?