Protected Mode

Bob Eyster

Protected Mode
I am running IE8 in protected mode. Today I noticed that in the status bar
it shows protected mode is off. I checked internet options > Security and it
show protected mode is checked on for all zones. Am I missing a setting some
where?

--
Bob Eyster
Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 - 32 Bit - IE8

Re: Protected Mode
Is UAC enabled or disabled?

in the background when you installed IE8 and/or SP2?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?

Bob Eyster wrote:
> I am running IE8 in protected mode. Today I noticed that in the status bar
> it shows protected mode is off. I checked internet options > Security and
> it
> show protected mode is checked on for all zones. Am I missing a setting
> some
> where?

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

Re: Protected Mode
Bob Eyster wrote:

> I am running IE8 in protected mode. Today I noticed that in the status bar
> it shows protected mode is off. I checked internet options > Security and
> it show protected mode is checked on for all zones. Am I missing a
> setting some where?

See Robear's reply.

In addition read:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...on-or-off.aspx
And:
"Understanding and Working in Protected Mode Internet Explorer".

--
Vincenzo Di Russo

Bob Eyster

Re: Protected Mode
> Is UAC enabled or disabled?

> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> applications running in the background when you installed IE8 and/or SP2?
>
> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Bob Eyster wrote:
>> I am running IE8 in protected mode. Today I noticed that in the status
>> bar
>> it shows protected mode is off. I checked internet options > Security and
>> it
>> show protected mode is checked on for all zones. Am I missing a setting
>> some
>> where?

Hi, Bear,

UAC was disabled, when I enabled it Protective Mode in the browser was
turned back on.Why does UAC control IE8's protective mode? What else does
UAC affect when it's disabled?

Thanks

"Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]" <enzodirusso@xoom.it> wrote in message
> Bob Eyster wrote:
>
>> I am running IE8 in protected mode. Today I noticed that in the status
>> bar
>> it shows protected mode is off. I checked internet options > Security and
>> it show protected mode is checked on for all zones. Am I missing a
>> setting some where?

> See Robear's reply.
>
> In addition read:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...on-or-off.aspx
> And:
> "Understanding and Working in Protected Mode Internet Explorer".
>
> --
> Vincenzo Di Russo
> Microsoft® MVP - Most Valuable Professional since 2003
> Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security
> My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
> My Blog: http://blogs.dotnethell.it/vincent/

Thanks for the info Vincenzo, it was a big help understanding how UAC affect
Protective Mode.

I did notice one thing though, if you run IE8 in "Run as Administrator" mode
protective mode is turn off as mentioned in one of the articles. But, if run
by a user with "Administrator rights"---as I have--- protective mode is left
on. Are there different Administrator rights, it appears to be.

Bob Eyster wrote:
> "Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]" <enzodirusso@xoom.it> wrote in message
>> Bob Eyster wrote:
>>
>>> I am running IE8 in protected mode. Today I noticed that in the status
>>> bar
>>> it shows protected mode is off. I checked internet options > Security
>>> and
>>> it show protected mode is checked on for all zones. Am I missing a
>>> setting some where?

>> See Robear's reply.
>>
>> In addition read:
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...on-or-off.aspx
>> And:
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb250462.aspx
>> "Understanding and Working in Protected Mode Internet Explorer".

> Thanks for the info Vincenzo, it was a big help understanding how UAC
> affect
> Protective Mode.
>
> I did notice one thing though, if you run IE8 in "Run as Administrator"
> mode
> protective mode is turn off as mentioned in one of the articles. But, if
> run
> by a user with "Administrator rights"---as I have--- protective mode is
> left
> on. Are there different Administrator rights, it appears to be.

Nothing really new here (cf. running as Administrator vs. running with Admin
privileges in WinXP).