Problems after uninstalling IE8

Colleen G

Problems after uninstalling IE8
I have uninstalled according to Microsoft articles. I removed SP3 first then
add/remove program allowed me to uninstall IE8. Now browser does not work at
all. I have disabled all add-ons etc with no success. I have rebooted
several times and received critical updates including the reinstallation of
SP3.
Browser information reads Internet Explorer 8, version 7.0.5730.11. However
it keeps crashing. When I now go to microsoft downloads it also tells me
that activeX control is missing but I do not get an option to download. But
it crashes anyways no matter what I do.
Should I re-try uninstalling including IE7 and see if I can go back to IE6?
Not sure what to do. I managed to load Mozilla Firefox as IE will not work
but I would prefer my IE back.
I cannot afford to reset back to factory settings.
How do you correct these issues with internet explorer?
jjbtinman

RE: Problems after uninstalling IE8

"Colleen G" wrote:

> I have uninstalled according to Microsoft articles. I removed SP3 first then
> add/remove program allowed me to uninstall IE8. Now browser does not work at
> all. I have disabled all add-ons etc with no success. I have rebooted
> several times and received critical updates including the reinstallation of
> SP3.
> Browser information reads Internet Explorer 8, version 7.0.5730.11. However
> it keeps crashing. When I now go to microsoft downloads it also tells me
> that activeX control is missing but I do not get an option to download. But
> it crashes anyways no matter what I do.
> Should I re-try uninstalling including IE7 and see if I can go back to IE6?
> Not sure what to do. I managed to load Mozilla Firefox as IE will not work
> but I would prefer my IE back.
> I cannot afford to reset back to factory settings.
> How do you correct these issues with internet explorer?

Leonard Grey

Re: Problems after uninstalling IE8
Apparently, something went wrong with your uninstallation of Internet
Explorer 8, since version 7.0.5730.11 is IE 7. Since Internet Explorer
is part of the Windows operating system, you will almost certainly have
to reinstall Windows to get Internet Explorer working properly.

This is unlikely to help you, but you can try"

"How to reset Internet Explorer settings"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Bear in mind that as long as Internet Explorer is broken, so is Windows.
Firefox is not going to fix your copy of Windows. Do you want to fix
Windows now or later?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Colleen G wrote:
> I have uninstalled according to Microsoft articles. I removed SP3 first then
> add/remove program allowed me to uninstall IE8. Now browser does not work at
> all. I have disabled all add-ons etc with no success. I have rebooted
> several times and received critical updates including the reinstallation of
> SP3.
> Browser information reads Internet Explorer 8, version 7.0.5730.11. However
> it keeps crashing. When I now go to microsoft downloads it also tells me
> that activeX control is missing but I do not get an option to download. But
> it crashes anyways no matter what I do.
> Should I re-try uninstalling including IE7 and see if I can go back to IE6?
> Not sure what to do. I managed to load Mozilla Firefox as IE will not work
> but I would prefer my IE back.
> I cannot afford to reset back to factory settings.
> How do you correct these issues with internet explorer?

Re: Problems after uninstalling IE8
What led you to uninstall IE8, Colleen? Was IE crashing before you
uninstalled it?

in the background when you installed and/or uninstalled IE8 and/or SP3?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?

Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?