Does microsft still give support to IE6 (or later)?

roballo

Does microsft still give support to IE6 (or later)?
Does anybody know if microsoft is still supporting activities on IE6 since
more accurate sites are not being loaded properly on it (CSS, JS, AJAX, and
others)? I'm spending tons of time trying to figure solutions to old browsers
in order to keep my clients sites up-to-date. As some of them are still using
IE6, I cannot find an argument to convince them to give an upgrade on their
browsers.

Also as I installed the latest release of IE, I'm completely unable to
downgrade to IE6 in order to make better tests on it.

Thanks in advace...
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Does microsft still give support to IE6 (or later)?

"roballo" <roballo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4882D0DA-66A4-4A5E-B191-DE20B293DDB9@microsoft.com...
> Does anybody know if microsoft is still supporting activities on IE6 since
> more accurate sites are not being loaded properly on it (CSS, JS, AJAX, and
> others)? I'm spending tons of time trying to figure solutions to old browsers
> in order to keep my clients sites up-to-date. As some of them are still using
> IE6, I cannot find an argument to convince them to give an upgrade on their
> browsers.
>

> Also as I installed the latest release of IE, I'm completely unable to
> downgrade to IE6 in order to make better tests on it.

Best solution for that would be virtualization to support multiple OS. Otherwise, you are going to have to uninstall IE7 to get
back to IE6
and depending on the order that you installed other things, in particular
your OS service pack level, you might have to uninstall that too, just to
see when you last had IE7 available to be uninstalled.

> Thanks in advace...

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

rob^_^

Re: Does microsft still give support to IE6 (or later)?
Hi,

The issue is not MS support for IE6. The issue is your customers sites'
support for IE. Visitors to your client's web sites will be using other
Quirks mode browsers that do not support the more modern features.

Start by analyzing your site's browser usage statistics or visit
thecounter.com to get an idea on how many of your visitors will be using
which browser versions. Expect that IE6 usage will decrease to 0 over the
long run.

"I'm spending tons of time trying to figure solutions to old browsers
> in order to keep my clients sites up-to-date."

Welcome to software development.

Mutton dressed-up as lamb is still mutton.

It sounds like you need to do some research about the capabilities of each
of the browser versions. The solution generally is to use IE conditional
comments to include browser version specific blocks in your markup.

Regards.

"roballo" <roballo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anybody know if microsoft is still supporting activities on IE6 since
> more accurate sites are not being loaded properly on it (CSS, JS, AJAX,
> and
> others)? I'm spending tons of time trying to figure solutions to old
> browsers
> in order to keep my clients sites up-to-date. As some of them are still
> using
> IE6, I cannot find an argument to convince them to give an upgrade on
> their
> browsers.
>
> Also as I installed the latest release of IE, I'm completely unable to
> downgrade to IE6 in order to make better tests on it.
>
> Thanks in advace...

Twayne

Re: Does microsft still give support to IE6 (or later)?
For the OP:

"Support" for IE6 can have a lot of different meanings, but if what you
want to know is whether IE6 is a viable browser for the foreseeable
future, the answer is YES. You're not likely to start seeing sties that
IE6 can't render for many years yet.

IE7 seems to work well and I like it. Besides having added better
security changes under the hood there aren't a lot of visible changes
except for Microsoft's penchant for want to change the top menu around
in its programs. It can "seem" a lot different than it really is
because some things were moved around within the menu and a couple new
things added. The good news is, you can turn on a sort of "classic"
menu that gives you back a lot of the functionality access you were used
to in IE6. And the addition of tabbed browsing of course was way
overdue.

IE8 is neat and has a few neat things added to it, but ... a lot of
people are having problems with it slowing down one or another thing on
their computers. I tried it and liked it, but I went back to IE7 to get
away from the annoying pauses it kept doing.

All in all I don't think the 7 and 8 improvements are worth pushing
people to move from IE6 if they haven't already. Improved security is
certainly worth making obvious, but they won't be left high and dry if
they stick to IE6.
There is a learning curve in switching to 7 or 8. Whether it's steep
or negligible mostly depends on the person at the keyboard though, and
their background expertise.

Not sure why you can't downgrade back to 6; you should be able to. If
you have 8 you can back up to 7 and then to 6 right from add/remove most
of the time. Or, you could always to to MS and get a download for IE6
too. I know there are MS KBs on the subject, but I don't have a link
handy - try searching for it on the MS support site.

HTH,

Twayne`