Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Very, very strange problem with IE

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2009
Joao Luis Rita
 

Posts: n/a
Very, very strange problem with IE
Hello folks

I’m experiencing a very odd problem.

We have a site powered by Oracle/IAS, with a logging screen, followed the
site itself.

Since about January/February, many people trying to access the site get a
“404-page not found” error right after the login screen. They place the
user/password, click “ok” then the error pops up. This only happens to some
people. In fact, I have reports that 2 people in the same PC can experience
the following:
-person A logs into PC, turns on IE, logs into site, enters site normally;
-person B logs into PC, turns on IE, logs into site, gets 404.

The reason I’m posting this here, in a Microsoft group is this: this problem
only happens with Internet Explorer. If the user tries with Firefox or Chrome
in the same PC that failed with IE, no problems occur and he/she enters the
site normally.

This happens with both Windows XP and Vista. My best guess is that some
update of Windows or IE (or one that affects both) is causing this. All users
with the problem reported it after having run Windows update. Both the fact
that there have been dozens of updates since then AND the fact that the
problem doesn’t happen to all IR users is complicating the resolution of the
problem. During this time I’ve installed (from scratch) over 20 windows xp+IE
8 PCs, all with no problem...

Has anyone heard of similar problems, or have any idea what I might test?

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2009
Robert Aldwinckle
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Very, very strange problem with IE

"Joao Luis Rita" <JoaoLuisRita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:20BE947D-D3F9-41D4-A2FD-36B368F2E3B8@microsoft.com...
> Hello folks
>
> I'm experiencing a very odd problem.
>
> We have a site powered by Oracle/IAS, with a logging screen, followed the
> site itself.
>
> Since about January/February, many people trying to access the site get a
> "404-page not found" error right after the login screen. They place the
> user/password, click "ok" then the error pops up. This only happens to some
> people. In fact, I have reports that 2 people in the same PC can experience
> the following:
> -person A logs into PC, turns on IE, logs into site, enters site normally;
> -person B logs into PC, turns on IE, logs into site, gets 404.
>


> The reason I'm posting this here, in a Microsoft group is this: this problem
> only happens with Internet Explorer. If the user tries with Firefox or Chrome
> in the same PC that failed with IE, no problems occur and he/she enters the
> site normally.



Possibly irrelevant but it would give you a point of comparison and testing.
The only difference that would imply is that the server does different things
with different User-Agent strings.

To compare what is happening you could trace both cases using an HTTP
tracer such as Fiddler2. To make your comparison more relevant you
could try either make Firefox send the User-Agent that IE8 sends or vice
versa. The latter may be easier to do using the UA Picker tool.

Check here to start:

http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx


Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---


>
> This happens with both Windows XP and Vista. My best guess is that some
> update of Windows or IE (or one that affects both) is causing this. All users
> with the problem reported it after having run Windows update. Both the fact
> that there have been dozens of updates since then AND the fact that the
> problem doesn't happen to all IR users is complicating the resolution of the
> problem. During this time I've installed (from scratch) over 20 windows xp+IE
> 8 PCs, all with no problem...
>
> Has anyone heard of similar problems, or have any idea what I might test?
>



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2009
Joao Luis Rita
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Very, very strange problem with IE
"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> To compare what is happening you could trace both cases using an HTTP
> tracer such as Fiddler2. To make your comparison more relevant you
> could try either make Firefox send the User-Agent that IE8 sends or vice
> versa. The latter may be easier to do using the UA Picker tool.
>
> Check here to start:
>
> http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx
>
>
> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle


I'll try to check it, but I don' think it's related to a version problem. If
it was, it would stop working for anyone that tried to use IE...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strange problem brahmasoccer09 microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 10 07-26-2008 08:48
Strange ICS problem lately Sandeep Lohchab microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 3 07-11-2008 15:11
Very strange UAC problem Mary microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 06-11-2008 12:09
Strange problem! Jerry microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 4 10-29-2007 16:03
ACPI problem but no problem at all - Strange thing =?Utf-8?B?TWFyY28=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 2 02-24-2007 03:23




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:47.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120