Downloads never prompt for save/open and can't be found

wnm3

Downloads never prompt for save/open and can't be found
After upgrading IE7 w/ latest patches to IE8 on XP SP3, if I visit a site
that attempts to send me an XML file or other (e.g., .zip or .cdf) I get the
menu line request to allow the download but I can't find where it went as I
no longer am prompted with the Open/SaveAs dialog. Is content going to some
magic download location that IE8 added as a [dis]service?
Don Varnau

Re: Downloads never prompt for save/open and can't be found
Hi,
I don't know why this has been reset, but you have to set this option for
each file type.

From Windows Explorer> Tools> Folder options> File types
OR
Control Panel> Folder options then File Types. Select [file type]> Advanced.

Put a check by "Confirm open after download."
You should then get the "Open or Save" dialog for each download.
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"wnm3" <wnm3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After upgrading IE7 w/ latest patches to IE8 on XP SP3, if I visit a site
> that attempts to send me an XML file or other (e.g., .zip or .cdf) I get

the
> menu line request to allow the download but I can't find where it went as

> no longer am prompted with the Open/SaveAs dialog. Is content going to

some
> magic download location that IE8 added as a [dis]service?

wnm3

Re: Downloads never prompt for save/open and can't be found
Thank you -- actually, in the Security settings, I found that I needed to
enable the "Prompt for downloads" which was more general than having to set
it for each type of file.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> I don't know why this has been reset, but you have to set this option for
> each file type.
>
> From Windows Explorer> Tools> Folder options> File types
> OR
> Control Panel> Folder options then File Types. Select [file type]> Advanced.
>
> Put a check by "Confirm open after download."
> You should then get the "Open or Save" dialog for each download.
> -
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "wnm3" <wnm3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > After upgrading IE7 w/ latest patches to IE8 on XP SP3, if I visit a site
> > that attempts to send me an XML file or other (e.g., .zip or .cdf) I get

> the
> > menu line request to allow the download but I can't find where it went as

> > no longer am prompted with the Open/SaveAs dialog. Is content going to

> some
> > magic download location that IE8 added as a [dis]service?

Don Varnau

Re: Downloads never prompt for save/open and can't be found
Thanks for that informaton.