remembering login info on websites

Bruce and Marg

remembering login info on websites
Hi. I am using IE8 and having difficulty getting login information to be
remembered and I do have auto complete selected. I am not aware of having
cleared cookies. I use three different websites for three different banks
or insurance companies and all of them lose the login information or account
numbers. I have no idea how to address this problem so that they are held
for the next time they are accessed. I am also wondering if this is a
problem that IE8 has caused. I have not had it for more than a couple of
months. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Don Varnau

Re: remembering login info on websites
Hi,
Is IE8's AutoComplete even offering to save those passwords? Many banks,
other financial sites and other secure websites have disabled password
caching (saving.)

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Bruce and Marg" <bridger61@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Hi. I am using IE8 and having difficulty getting login information to be
> remembered and I do have auto complete selected. I am not aware of having
> cleared cookies. I use three different websites for three different

banks
> or insurance companies and all of them lose the login information or

account
> numbers. I have no idea how to address this problem so that they are held
> for the next time they are accessed. I am also wondering if this is a
> problem that IE8 has caused. I have not had it for more than a couple of
> months. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Bruce and Marg

Re: remembering login info on websites
Our problem is not caching passwords. We are trying to get the login or
account numbers or info saved for future login ease. We never had a problem
before.

> Hi,
> Is IE8's AutoComplete even offering to save those passwords? Many banks,
> other financial sites and other secure websites have disabled password
> caching (saving.)
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "Bruce and Marg" <bridger61@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Hi. I am using IE8 and having difficulty getting login information to be
>> remembered and I do have auto complete selected. I am not aware of having
>> cleared cookies. I use three different websites for three different

> banks
>> or insurance companies and all of them lose the login information or

> account
>> numbers. I have no idea how to address this problem so that they are
>> held
>> for the next time they are accessed. I am also wondering if this is a
>> problem that IE8 has caused. I have not had it for more than a couple of
>> months. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Don Varnau

Re: remembering login info on websites
Hi,
[quote]
> Our problem is not caching passwords.

[endquote]

It's the same principle. Some secure sites will remember a username or
account number- many will not.

You might try one of these
http://www.roboform.com/
http://keepass.info/download.html
or another
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ssword+manager
-

> Our problem is not caching passwords. We are trying to get the login or
> account numbers or info saved for future login ease. We never had a

problem
> before.

> > Hi,
> > Is IE8's AutoComplete even offering to save those passwords? Many banks,
> > other financial sites and other secure websites have disabled password
> > caching (saving.)

> > "Bruce and Marg" <bridger61@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> >> Hi. I am using IE8 and having difficulty getting login information to

be
> >> remembered and I do have auto complete selected. I am not aware of

having
> >> cleared cookies. I use three different websites for three different

> > banks
> >> or insurance companies and all of them lose the login information or

> > account
> >> numbers. I have no idea how to address this problem so that they are
> >> held
> >> for the next time they are accessed. I am also wondering if this is a
> >> problem that IE8 has caused. I have not had it for more than a couple

of
> >> months. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Peter Cox

Re: remembering login info on websites
Hi Don

My problem is how to STOP ie8 caching userids and passwords
I think much more of a problem is the apparent bug in IE8 where it
apparently caches the logon userid and password and associates those with the
url they were used at.
As far as I can work out this "cache" is held until all browser windows are
closed at which point the cache is flushed.
This really is a MAJOR security breach.
As an example. I log on to Etrade www.etrade.com and sign is with my userid
and password. I check my account status and then start the streaming
MarketCaster showing current details on stock lists - this starts in a
seperate window. I then close my etrade account window. If I start the
etrade url again, even a few days later, I am not prompted for login info
just directed straight into account status. This will happen as long as I
have at least one browser window open. As soon as I close all the browser
windows the cache is apperntly cleared as I am prompted for userid and
password if I open the url again.
If I log out of the site before closing the account window the cache is
appently flushed for that url, however most people, myself included, would
belive that just closing the window is the equivalent of logging off.
I believe the Etrade url is one that will not allow you to cache sign on
details.
This did not occur in earlier version of IE
This is not specific to one machine or OS. Have seen it on on XP and W2K3
at various companies.
Would like to know where I should report this as a bug/security breach?

Thanks Peter.