Problem with Website Shortcut Icons

Running Win XP SP3 with IE7

Recently had to reformat HD.

Upon setting up my personal seetings I used the Quick Launch toolbat to put
my website icons there. But now when I click them on to go to a website,
nothing happens. However, if I have the same site as an icon on my desktop,
it works fine.

What is wrong with my Quick Launch toolbar that prevents these websites from
opening them up after I click them on?

Thanks,

RED in NC

Leonard Grey

Re: Problem with Website Shortcut Icons
The Quick Launch Toolbar starts executable files. Your internet
shortcuts are URLs.

You can include websites on QL by including them as arguments in an
executable. Let's say, for example, that you use Internet Explorer and
want to place a shortcut to CNN on your Quick Launch Toolbar. You would
create a shortcut as follows:

"c:\programs files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe" www.cnn.com

and drag that shortcut to the Quick Launch toolbar. (Don't forget to
include the quotation marks.)

A much simpler way, in my opinion, is add Favorites to the Start menu.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

anglirich@lexcominc.net wrote:
> Running Win XP SP3 with IE7
>
> Recently had to reformat HD.
>
> Upon setting up my personal seetings I used the Quick Launch toolbat to put
> my website icons there. But now when I click them on to go to a website,
> nothing happens. However, if I have the same site as an icon on my desktop,
> it works fine.
>
> What is wrong with my Quick Launch toolbar that prevents these websites from
> opening them up after I click them on?
>
> Thanks,
>
> RED in NC

Re: Problem with Website Shortcut Icons
Thank-you!

> The Quick Launch Toolbar starts executable files. Your internet shortcuts
> are URLs.
>
> You can include websites on QL by including them as arguments in an
> executable. Let's say, for example, that you use Internet Explorer and
> want to place a shortcut to CNN on your Quick Launch Toolbar. You would
> create a shortcut as follows:
>
> "c:\programs files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe" www.cnn.com
>
> and drag that shortcut to the Quick Launch toolbar. (Don't forget to
> include the quotation marks.)
>
> A much simpler way, in my opinion, is add Favorites to the Start menu.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> anglirich@lexcominc.net wrote:
>> Running Win XP SP3 with IE7
>>
>> Recently had to reformat HD.
>>
>> Upon setting up my personal seetings I used the Quick Launch toolbat to
>> put my website icons there. But now when I click them on to go to a
>> website, nothing happens. However, if I have the same site as an icon on
>> my desktop, it works fine.
>>
>> What is wrong with my Quick Launch toolbar that prevents these websites
>> from opening them up after I click them on?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> RED in NC

Leonard Grey

Re: Problem with Website Shortcut Icons