OT: dirty BT business practices...

RJK

OT: dirty BT business practices...
As we all know, in the UK, BT is more expensive than all other broadband
suppliers. Other "sole providers" for voice telephone+broadband offer much
cheaper packages. And it was not so long ago, with the development and
rapid popularity of increased adsl speeds, and domestic wireless products
for home computing, that BT was "displeased," (to say the very
least), when it became possible for people, (e.g. neighbours), to share an
ADSL/ISP connection, and share the cost. I suspect that BT has, (ever
since
wifi was introduced), over-priced its' services on the mistaken (IMO)
assumption
that most of its' subscribers to broadband are sharing a connection, some
with LAN leads, most with wireless.

In any event I believe my brother was mis-sold BT broadband. The house he's
just moved into had only an old analogue 'phone line, and so the line had to
be ADSL surveyed/upgraded/enabled by BT - which - as I've always
understood - is carried out by BT - when they receive a "works order,"
either
form a 3rd party ISP and/or sole package provider such as Orange,
TalkTalk, Tiscali/now Carphone Warehouse etc, or for BT itself.

And the latest incredible insult from BT, (as I understand it), is that it
wants it's subscribers to provide local wifi hotspots - free of charge,
....as though this is a "trendy" and "desirable" thing to want to do ! So
BT
is excessively charging its' subscribers for its' ISP service, and then has
the
mind-boggling audacity to want its' customers to offer a free wifi
connection to the
general public. This simply beggars belief !!
(...ok...ok I know that the wifi component would have to be left open and
un-password protected etc. but, there is the consideration that most users
plug'n'play and never even check the default settings in their
adsl/router/wifi unit - indeed most of them wouldn't even know how to get in
there and have a look around. i.e. try telling someone on the 'phone to tap
http:\\192.168.*.* into their browsers' URL slot and their eyes just glaze
over!).

My brother has been with BT for only a few days, and after some initial
teething problems his "BT Home hub," had it's firmware upgraded - and the
option in that firmware to switch off wireless was removed !
Now, the first thing he did with the BT Home hub was switch wireless off.
Not because he was too mean to provide free wifi to the general public at
large but, because sitting at his PC with the BT Home Hub nearby, the
wireless emissions made the side of his face and neck tingle ! And seeing
as
he doesn't have or use a wifi laptop or notebook etc. he didn't need it
switched on
anyway ! And to have wifi switched back on via a firmware update, without
his permission, and also to have the firmware switch to turn wireless off
removed, is simply mind boggling !
After a little investigation, he had to log on to BT's "BTFON" page to
request wifi to be switched of - which can take up to 48 hours ! HAVE YOU
EVER HEARD OF ANYTHING SO TOTALLY RIDICULOUS !?!

<quote my brother>
A short look on google about it and I found this:
http://beta.bt.com/bta/forums/messag...essageID=64875

Specifically - the last two posts on the page:
Peter Williams
Registered: 12/4/03
Re: Cannot disable wireless on BT Homehub 2.0 type-A after firmware
update
Hi Mike,
How strange. I had wireless off and it remained off after the
firmware upgrade to 8.1.H.G. You need to get FON off before you can turn
wireless off. On the hub home page is there an option to turn FON off?
Peter
Peter Williams
Registered: 12/4/03
Re: Cannot disable wireless on BT Homehub 2.0 type-A after firmware
update
Hi Mike,
I have just discovered this " From the middle of March 09 all
new Total Broadband customer will be automatically opted into BTFON".
Go to www.bt.com/btfon - click on "Check Status" - you can then
opt out.
Peter

<end-quote my brother>

In any event, I've just dug out an old BEWAN pci/adsl card, unearthed the
drivers and put them on cd and usb pen-drive, and tomorrow I shall drive 50
miles to his house and fit it, so that he can have less wires, and no chance
of firmware updates to an adsl/router/wifi unit that has operational control
removed from the user by ignorant and incompetent ISP/'phone provider BT
!!!

regards, Richard

Malke

Re: OT: dirty BT business practices...
RJK wrote:

> As we all know, in the UK, BT is more expensive than all other broadband
> suppliers. Other "sole providers" for voice telephone+broadband offer

(snip amazingly long OT post)

Just putting "OT" in from of your subject line doesn't make it OK to post
here. A good place to post problems, comments, etc. about Internet Service
Providers is www.dslreports.com. They cover far more than DSL as you will
see if you go there.

Not only did you post a message that has absolutely *nothing* to do with
Microsoft Windows, you cross-posted it to a bunch of equally inappropriate
newsgroups. Not appreciated.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

DL

Re: dirty BT business practices...
You are spouting total nonsence, try getting your fact straight first, eg
how to protect your connection, as a start

"RJK" <nosuch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> Peter Williams
> Registered: 12/4/03
> Re: Cannot disable wireless on BT Homehub 2.0 type-A after firmware
> update
> Hi Mike,
> I have just discovered this " From the middle of March 09 all
> new Total Broadband customer will be automatically opted into BTFON".
> Go to www.bt.com/btfon - click on "Check Status" - you can then
> opt out.
> Peter
>
> <end-quote my brother>
>
> In any event, I've just dug out an old BEWAN pci/adsl card, unearthed the
> drivers and put them on cd and usb pen-drive, and tomorrow I shall drive
> 50 miles to his house and fit it, so that he can have less wires, and no
> chance of firmware updates to an adsl/router/wifi unit that has
> operational control removed from the user by ignorant and incompetent

Gordon's Psychiatrist

Malke wrote:
> RJK wrote:
>
>> As we all know, in the UK, BT is more expensive than all other broadband
>> suppliers. Other "sole providers" for voice telephone+broadband offer

> (snip amazingly long OT post)
>
> Just putting "OT" in from of your subject line doesn't make it OK to post
> here. A good place to post problems, comments, etc. about Internet Service
> Providers is www.dslreports.com. They cover far more than DSL as you will
> see if you go there.
>
> Not only did you post a message that has absolutely *nothing* to do with
> Microsoft Windows, you cross-posted it to a bunch of equally inappropriate
> newsgroups. Not appreciated.
>

> Malke

You must be new to USENET!

RJK

"DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
> You are spouting total nonsence, try getting your fact straight first, eg
> how to protect your connection, as a start

I know how "protect connection" i.e. configure wifi - thankyou very much !

regards, Richard

RJK

> RJK wrote:

> Just putting "OT" in from of your subject line doesn't make it OK to post
> here. A good place to post problems, comments, etc. about Internet Service
> Providers is www.dslreports.com. They cover far more than DSL as you will
> see if you go there.

....correct !

> Not only did you post a message that has absolutely *nothing* to do with
> Microsoft Windows, you cross-posted it to a bunch of equally inappropriate
> newsgroups. Not appreciated.

....correct again :-)

regards, Richard

SPAMCOP User

Re: dirty BT business practices...
Richard,

Many readers & contributors are in other countries & won't understand what
the UK people have to go through

I wouldn't use BT even if it was totally free & their BT Home Hub adverts
saying about the distance of the coverage is incorrect as I know many users
getting disconnected because of their signal strength even in an open area.
Don't forget the dead sports caused by concrete walls, metal-framed
buildings etc

Malke is right though. Things like your post should never be posted here.
Maybe send to BBC Watchdog & see if they can get BT to explain things. I
have forgotten the name of the consumer service that governs the UK adsl
rules but you can search that on Google

Get a different ISP & use Skype for the calls because BT don't like high-end
users like myself not that they would ever get my vote or my money

--
SPAMCOP User

> [...]
> Peter Williams
> Registered: 12/4/03
> Re: Cannot disable wireless on BT Homehub 2.0 type-A after firmware
> update
> Hi Mike,
> I have just discovered this " From the middle of March 09 all
> new Total Broadband customer will be automatically opted into BTFON".
> Go to www.bt.com/btfon - click on "Check Status" - you can then
> opt out.
> Peter
>
> <end-quote my brother>
>
> In any event, I've just dug out an old BEWAN pci/adsl card, unearthed the
> drivers and put them on cd and usb pen-drive, and tomorrow I shall drive
> 50 miles to his house and fit it, so that he can have less wires, and no
> chance of firmware updates to an adsl/router/wifi unit that has
> operational control removed from the user by ignorant and incompetent

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: dirty BT business practices...
Why not just set up a protected wifi connection and give the rest of us a
break?

All wireless routers are sold with wireless enabled, and all ISPs assume
that the user of a wireless router will set up appropriate protection.

Have I ever heard of anything so totally ridiculous? No, not until reading
your 'stuff'..

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

ANONYMOUS

Re: OT: dirty BT business practices...
What do you want us to do now about this? Do you want our support for
this? Do you want us to say "oh what a bad business practice BT is
operating"? Please simplify your message so that appropriate response
can be given.

Presumably, you or your brother can move to another company right?

WE CALL IT VOTING WITH OUR FEET!!

Now don't tell us British soldiers dying in Afghanistan didn't know
war is a dangerous business!!

On 2 Aug, 14:47, "RJK" <nos...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> As we all know, in the UK, BT is more expensive than all other broadband
> suppliers. *Other "sole providers" for voice telephone+broadband offer much
> cheaper packages. * And it was not so long ago, with the development and
> rapid popularity of increased adsl speeds, and domestic wireless products
> *for home computing, that BT was "displeased," (to say the very

<snipped>
ANONYMOUS

On 2 Aug, 15:52, Malke <ma...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Not only did you post a message that has absolutely *nothing* to do with
> Microsoft Windows, you cross-posted it to a bunch of equally inappropriate
> newsgroups. Not appreciated.

Why do you bother to reply if it has "absolutely *nothing* to do with
Microsoft Windows" Your action suggests that you are looking for a
fight on the web?

The Dirty Dozen Steve Security News 0 06-25-2009 11:50
Somebody has to do the Dirty work Paul Security News 0 03-17-2008 21:20
Microsoft Makes Strategic Changes in Technology and Business Practices. WinVistaClub WinVistaClub Blog 0 02-21-2008 19:10
Dirty O.W.!, (Mon, Oct 8th) Steve Security News 0 10-08-2007 17:11
The Dirty Business of Assembling WiMAX Spectrum Steve General Technology News 0 10-01-2007 03:30