Best way ti Install IE8

OREALLY

Best way ti Install IE8
What's the best way to Install IE8 over IE7 (presently installed on XP2) ?

Thanks,

Oreally

Re: Best way ti Install IE8
First, you should read and be aware of...

About IE7 & IE8 and Windows XP Service Pack 3

My personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx

NB for WinXP: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When
you're prepared to install IE8, double-click on the saved file.

NB for Vista: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When
you're prepared to install IE8, right-click on the saved file and select
"Run as Administator.

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior to
reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to see
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]

=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then check-in at
Windows Update and install any critical security updates offered.

=> For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
application version, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender),
and your third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 before you
decide install it.

Should you need it:

environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

OREALLY wrote:
> What's the best way to Install IE8 over IE7 (presently installed on XP2) ?

Leonard Grey

Re: Best way ti Install IE8
Upgrading Windows XP to Internet Explorer 8:

Follow these suggestions and you are virtually assured of success.
Nonetheless, you do what you think is best.

1- Read about the new features of IE 8 on Microsoft's website (and
elsewhere on the web).
2- Read the Release Notes for IE 8.
3- Make sure your computer is 100% free of malware.
4- Make sure your computer is otherwise problem-free. Upgrading to IE 8
is not a fix for problems you are currently experiencing.
5- Make sure all your software (including Windows itself) and drivers
are up to date.
6- Make sure all your security software, as well as any other software
you rely on and websites you rely on, are compatible with IE 8.
7- Backup your personal files (documents, photos, spreadsheets, etc.) as
well as your e-mail, address book and Favorites; and create a restore
point. (If you're familiar with disk imaging, backup your hard drive.)
8- You may need to uninstall third-party toolbars from your current
version of Internet Explorer; or reset Internet Explorer to default
settings. When you reset Internet Explorer settings, all add-ons and
customizations are deleted, and you basically start with a fresh version
of Internet Explorer.
9- Download the IE 8 installer from the Microsoft website.
10- Close all open applications, i.e., applications with an icon on the
Taskbar.
11- Disable your security software. Turn on Windows Firewall.
12- During IE 8 installation, agree to "Install updates."
13- Reboot /twice/ after installing IE 8.
14- Turn off Windows Firewall. Re-enable your security software.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

OREALLY wrote:
> What's the best way to Install IE8 over IE7 (presently installed on XP2) ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Oreally

OREALLY

Re: Best way ti Install IE8
I find that the 'links' folder (from favorites) on the taskbar in IE7 is
very convenient. Is there a way to show it there with IE8?

Thanks,

Oreally

Re: Best way ti Install IE8
Links bar is replaced by Favorites bar in IE8.

IEBlog: The IE8 Favorites Bar:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...rites-bar.aspx

Customize your Favorites bar
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...s/default.mspx

IE8 Tour
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...r/default.aspx

IE8 Videos
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...er/videos.aspx (Silverlight)
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...os&view=videos
. Overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGzlJFx7YaE
. Security Features: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMqcEEBogj4
. Easier Browsing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gStCIkPUrhM
. Compatibility View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSs1ulZKgCA
. History of the Internet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsMFyo8DWs4

IE8 Features: Accelerators; Performance; Favorites & History Management;
Instant Search; Web Slices; Automatic Crash Recovery; InPrivate Browsing;
Security; and more. See the 3 tabs (i.e., Faster; Easier; Safer) on this
page:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...es/faster.aspx

IE8: Features & Benchmarks (ZDNet)
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/...9630019,00.htm

. Screenshot Tutorial:
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/...9630014,00.htm

OREALLY wrote:
> I find that the 'links' folder (from favorites) on the taskbar in IE7 is
> very convenient. Is there a way to show it there with IE8?

OREALLY

Re: Best way ti Install IE8
Thanks.....Actually I'm asking specifically about getting the links folder
to show up on the taskbar (at bottom next to the system tray) as it dows in
XP2/IE7.

Oreally

> Links bar is replaced by Favorites bar in IE8.
>
> IEBlog: The IE8 Favorites Bar:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...rites-bar.aspx
>
> Customize your Favorites bar
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...s/default.mspx
>
> IE8 Tour
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...r/default.aspx
>
> IE8 Videos
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...er/videos.aspx
> (Silverlight)
> http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...os&view=videos
> . Overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGzlJFx7YaE
> . Security Features: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMqcEEBogj4
> . Easier Browsing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gStCIkPUrhM
> . Compatibility View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSs1ulZKgCA
> . History of the Internet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsMFyo8DWs4
>
> IE8 Features: Accelerators; Performance; Favorites & History Management;
> Instant Search; Web Slices; Automatic Crash Recovery; InPrivate Browsing;
> Security; and more. See the 3 tabs (i.e., Faster; Easier; Safer) on this
> page:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...es/faster.aspx
>
> IE8: Features & Benchmarks (ZDNet)
> http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/...9630019,00.htm
>
> . Screenshot Tutorial:
> http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/...9630014,00.htm
>
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> OREALLY wrote:
>> I find that the 'links' folder (from favorites) on the taskbar in IE7 is
>> very convenient. Is there a way to show it there with IE8?

Re: Best way ti Install IE8
WYSIWYG

OREALLY wrote:
> Thanks.....Actually I'm asking specifically about getting the links folder
> to show up on the taskbar (at bottom next to the system tray) as it dows
> in
> XP2/IE7.
>
> Oreally

>> Links bar is replaced by Favorites bar in IE8.
>>
>> IEBlog: The IE8 Favorites Bar:
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...rites-bar.aspx
>>
>> Customize your Favorites bar
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...s/default.mspx
>>
>> IE8 Tour
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...r/default.aspx
>>
>> IE8 Videos
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...er/videos.aspx
>> (Silverlight)
>> http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...os&view=videos
>> . Overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGzlJFx7YaE
>> . Security Features: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMqcEEBogj4
>> . Easier Browsing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gStCIkPUrhM
>> . Compatibility View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSs1ulZKgCA
>> . History of the Internet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsMFyo8DWs4
>>
>> IE8 Features: Accelerators; Performance; Favorites & History Management;
>> Instant Search; Web Slices; Automatic Crash Recovery; InPrivate Browsing;
>> Security; and more. See the 3 tabs (i.e., Faster; Easier; Safer) on this
>> page:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...es/faster.aspx
>>
>> IE8: Features & Benchmarks (ZDNet)
>> http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/...9630019,00.htm
>>
>> . Screenshot Tutorial:
>> http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/...9630014,00.htm
>>
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> OREALLY wrote:
>>> I find that the 'links' folder (from favorites) on the taskbar in IE7 is
>>> very convenient. Is there a way to show it there with IE8?

Donald Anadell

Re: Best way ti Install IE8

"OREALLY" <oreally@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Thanks.....Actually I'm asking specifically about getting the links folder
> to show up on the taskbar (at bottom next to the system tray) as it dows
> in XP2/IE7.

I have no trouble getting the Links Toolbar to show on the Taskbar here
using Windows XP SP3/IE8. This is function of the Operating System and not
IE8, see:

Links Toolbar on the Windows Taskbar (Windows XP and Windows Vista)
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/abo...mizelinks.mspx

As PA Bear has already mentioned, IE8 has the Links Toolbar(Now called the
Favorites Bar) displayed on the Command Bar, which makes adding it to the
Taskbar redundent(IMHO) when using IE8.

If you continue to have problems with getting the Links Toolbar to show up
on the Taskbar, then post your question in the Windows XP General Newsgroup.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> Oreally

>> Links bar is replaced by Favorites bar in IE8.
>>
>> IEBlog: The IE8 Favorites Bar:
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...rites-bar.aspx
>>
>> Customize your Favorites bar
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...s/default.mspx
>>
>> IE8 Tour
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...r/default.aspx
>>
>> IE8 Videos
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...er/videos.aspx
>> (Silverlight)
>> http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...os&view=videos
>> . Overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGzlJFx7YaE
>> . Security Features: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMqcEEBogj4
>> . Easier Browsing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gStCIkPUrhM
>> . Compatibility View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSs1ulZKgCA
>> . History of the Internet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsMFyo8DWs4
>>
>> IE8 Features: Accelerators; Performance; Favorites & History Management;
>> Instant Search; Web Slices; Automatic Crash Recovery; InPrivate Browsing;
>> Security; and more. See the 3 tabs (i.e., Faster; Easier; Safer) on this
>> page:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...es/faster.aspx
>>
>> IE8: Features & Benchmarks (ZDNet)
>> http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/...9630019,00.htm
>>
>> . Screenshot Tutorial:
>> http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/...9630014,00.htm
>>
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> OREALLY wrote:
>>> I find that the 'links' folder (from favorites) on the taskbar in IE7 is
>>> very convenient. Is there a way to show it there with IE8?

Re: Best way ti Install IE8
[I always forget about that!]

Donald Anadell wrote:
> "OREALLY" <oreally@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks.....Actually I'm asking specifically about getting the links
>> folder
>> to show up on the taskbar (at bottom next to the system tray) as it dows
>> in XP2/IE7.

> I have no trouble getting the Links Toolbar to show on the Taskbar here
> using Windows XP SP3/IE8. This is function of the Operating System and
> not
> IE8, see:
>
> Links Toolbar on the Windows Taskbar (Windows XP and Windows Vista)
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/abo...mizelinks.mspx
>
> As PA Bear has already mentioned, IE8 has the Links Toolbar(Now called the
> Favorites Bar) displayed on the Command Bar, which makes adding it to the
> Taskbar redundent(IMHO) when using IE8.
>
> If you continue to have problems with getting the Links Toolbar to show up
> on the Taskbar, then post your question in the Windows XP General
> Newsgroup.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadell
>

>> Oreally

>>> Links bar is replaced by Favorites bar in IE8.
>>>
>>> IEBlog: The IE8 Favorites Bar:
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...rites-bar.aspx
>>>
>>> Customize your Favorites bar
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...s/default.mspx
>>>
>>> IE8 Tour
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...r/default.aspx
>>>
>>> IE8 Videos
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...er/videos.aspx
>>> (Silverlight)
>>> http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...os&view=videos
>>> . Overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGzlJFx7YaE
>>> . Security Features: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMqcEEBogj4
>>> . Easier Browsing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gStCIkPUrhM
>>> . Compatibility View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSs1ulZKgCA
>>> . History of the Internet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsMFyo8DWs4
>>>
>>> IE8 Features: Accelerators; Performance; Favorites & History Management;
>>> Instant Search; Web Slices; Automatic Crash Recovery; InPrivate
>>> Browsing;
>>> Security; and more. See the 3 tabs (i.e., Faster; Easier; Safer) on this
>>> page:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...es/faster.aspx
>>>
>>> IE8: Features & Benchmarks (ZDNet)
>>> http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/...9630019,00.htm
>>>
>>> . Screenshot Tutorial:
>>> http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/...9630014,00.htm
>>>
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Donald Anadell

Re: Best way ti Install IE8
I can empathize with you, at 62 my memory lapses are more and more frequent
now