How To Remove Favourites Bar From IE8

Chris

How To Remove Favourites Bar From IE8
I wish to remove the favourited bar from IE8. I have gone to View/Toolbars
and unchecked the Favourites Bar but it is still there. I have also tried
checking and unchecking it several times to no avail. When I check it
some items are added and when I uncheck it some those items are removed but
the bar with the star marked "Favourites" is still there no matter what I do.
Is there any way to remove it?

Kind Regards
Chris

G. R. Woodring

Re: How To Remove Favourites Bar From IE8
If you mean the _button_ that toggles the display of the favorites window then
that can't be removed AFAIK. It should be on the same line as the tabs and so
won't really take up much screen space. You can right click on a tool bar,
select "Customize", then click on "Show Only Icons" to reduce the button to just
the star.

If you see more than just a button with a star and "Favorites" try starting IE
with no add-ons in case one of them is somehow blocking the favorites bar from
being fully hidden.

--
G. R. Woodring

Date: 8/1/2009 3:18 PM, Author: Chris Wrote:
> I wish to remove the favourited bar from IE8. I have gone to View/Toolbars
> and unchecked the Favourites Bar but it is still there. I have also tried
> checking and unchecking it several times to no avail. When I check it
> some items are added and when I uncheck it some those items are removed but
> the bar with the star marked "Favourites" is still there no matter what I do.
> Is there any way to remove it?
>
> Kind Regards
> Chris

rob^_^

Re: How To Remove Favourites Bar From IE8
HI Chris,

Are you confused between the Favorites Bar(replaces the 'Links' toolbar or
previous IE versions?) and the Favorites Center (replaces the Favorites and
History Side bars of previous IE versions).

The Favorites Center button (a single 'star' icon) cannot be hidden (I
usually have the Favorites center pinned to the side of my browser all of
the time... I find it easy to retrace my steps from either my Favorites
lists or History lists.)

The toolbar context menu - "Favorites bar" shows or hides the Favorites bar
(the replacement 'Links' toolbar) only.

Regards.

> I wish to remove the favourited bar from IE8. I have gone to View/Toolbars
> and unchecked the Favourites Bar but it is still there. I have also tried
> checking and unchecking it several times to no avail. When I check it
> some items are added and when I uncheck it some those items are removed
> but
> the bar with the star marked "Favourites" is still there no matter what I
> do.
> Is there any way to remove it?
>
> Kind Regards
> Chris

CheeseBurger

Re: How To Remove Favourites Bar From IE8
I believe Chris wanted to permanently remove the the folder titled "Favorites
Bar" that IE8 automatically placed into exisitng favorites.

I've got enough favorites, don't need another empty folder titled "Favorites
Bar"

I've tried everything to get rid of it but, it keeps coming back - anyone
have an answer?

"rob^_^" wrote:

> HI Chris,
>
> Are you confused between the Favorites Bar(replaces the 'Links' toolbar or
> previous IE versions?) and the Favorites Center (replaces the Favorites and
> History Side bars of previous IE versions).
>
> The Favorites Center button (a single 'star' icon) cannot be hidden (I
> usually have the Favorites center pinned to the side of my browser all of
> the time... I find it easy to retrace my steps from either my Favorites
> lists or History lists.)
>
> The toolbar context menu - "Favorites bar" shows or hides the Favorites bar
> (the replacement 'Links' toolbar) only.
>
> Regards.
>
> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I wish to remove the favourited bar from IE8. I have gone to View/Toolbars
> > and unchecked the Favourites Bar but it is still there. I have also tried
> > checking and unchecking it several times to no avail. When I check it
> > some items are added and when I uncheck it some those items are removed
> > but
> > the bar with the star marked "Favourites" is still there no matter what I
> > do.
> > Is there any way to remove it?
> >
> > Kind Regards
> > Chris

rob^_^

Re: How To Remove Favourites Bar From IE8
That’s just an aberration that IE8 adds to the Favorites folders list. The
folder does not physically exist. Open your Favorites folder with
Explorer.exe, you will see that the Favorites Bar folder is still named
'Links' in the Favorites sub-folders.

Unfortunately you cannot remove it from the IE8 Favorites Center List. All
IE versions will create a 'Links' sub folder if one does not already exist.

Regards.

"CheeseBurger" <CheeseBurger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I believe Chris wanted to permanently remove the the folder titled
> "Favorites
> Bar" that IE8 automatically placed into exisitng favorites.
>
> I've got enough favorites, don't need another empty folder titled
> "Favorites
> Bar"
>
> I've tried everything to get rid of it but, it keeps coming back - anyone
> have an answer?
>
> "rob^_^" wrote:
>
>> HI Chris,
>>
>> Are you confused between the Favorites Bar(replaces the 'Links' toolbar
>> or
>> previous IE versions?) and the Favorites Center (replaces the Favorites
>> and
>> History Side bars of previous IE versions).
>>
>> The Favorites Center button (a single 'star' icon) cannot be hidden (I
>> usually have the Favorites center pinned to the side of my browser all of
>> the time... I find it easy to retrace my steps from either my Favorites
>> lists or History lists.)
>>
>> The toolbar context menu - "Favorites bar" shows or hides the Favorites
>> bar
>> (the replacement 'Links' toolbar) only.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I wish to remove the favourited bar from IE8. I have gone to
>> > View/Toolbars
>> > and unchecked the Favourites Bar but it is still there. I have also
>> > tried
>> > checking and unchecking it several times to no avail. When I check it
>> > some items are added and when I uncheck it some those items are removed
>> > but
>> > the bar with the star marked "Favourites" is still there no matter what
>> > do.
>> > Is there any way to remove it?
>> >
>> > Kind Regards
>> > Chris

Chris

Re: How To Remove Favourites Bar From IE8
Thank you to everyone who replied. It seems that the favouites bar which also
shows the tabs can't be removed in IE8 even if it is disabled in
view/toolbars. I have followed the suggestion to right click/customise and
show icons only so it will take less space.

Kind Regards
Chris

"rob^_^" wrote:

> That’s just an aberration that IE8 adds to the Favorites folders list. The
> folder does not physically exist. Open your Favorites folder with
> Explorer.exe, you will see that the Favorites Bar folder is still named
> 'Links' in the Favorites sub-folders.
>
> Unfortunately you cannot remove it from the IE8 Favorites Center List. All
> IE versions will create a 'Links' sub folder if one does not already exist.
>
> Regards.
>
> "CheeseBurger" <CheeseBurger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I believe Chris wanted to permanently remove the the folder titled
> > "Favorites
> > Bar" that IE8 automatically placed into exisitng favorites.
> >
> > I've got enough favorites, don't need another empty folder titled
> > "Favorites
> > Bar"
> >
> > I've tried everything to get rid of it but, it keeps coming back - anyone
> > have an answer?
> >
> > "rob^_^" wrote:
> >
> >> HI Chris,
> >>
> >> Are you confused between the Favorites Bar(replaces the 'Links' toolbar
> >> or
> >> previous IE versions?) and the Favorites Center (replaces the Favorites
> >> and
> >> History Side bars of previous IE versions).
> >>
> >> The Favorites Center button (a single 'star' icon) cannot be hidden (I
> >> usually have the Favorites center pinned to the side of my browser all of
> >> the time... I find it easy to retrace my steps from either my Favorites
> >> lists or History lists.)
> >>
> >> The toolbar context menu - "Favorites bar" shows or hides the Favorites
> >> bar
> >> (the replacement 'Links' toolbar) only.
> >>
> >> Regards.

Jean Rosenfeld

Re: How To Remove Favourites Bar From IE8
You could also delete all the items in the favourites bar folder...

> Thank you to everyone who replied. It seems that the favouites bar which
> also
> shows the tabs can't be removed in IE8 even if it is disabled in
> view/toolbars. I have followed the suggestion to right click/customise and
> show icons only so it will take less space.
>
> Kind Regards
> Chris
>
> "rob^_^" wrote:
>
>> That's just an aberration that IE8 adds to the Favorites folders list.
>> The
>> folder does not physically exist. Open your Favorites folder with
>> Explorer.exe, you will see that the Favorites Bar folder is still named
>> 'Links' in the Favorites sub-folders.
>>
>> Unfortunately you cannot remove it from the IE8 Favorites Center List.
>> All
>> IE versions will create a 'Links' sub folder if one does not already
>> exist.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> "CheeseBurger" <CheeseBurger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I believe Chris wanted to permanently remove the the folder titled
>> > "Favorites
>> > Bar" that IE8 automatically placed into exisitng favorites.
>> >
>> > I've got enough favorites, don't need another empty folder titled
>> > "Favorites
>> > Bar"
>> >
>> > I've tried everything to get rid of it but, it keeps coming back -
>> > anyone
>> > have an answer?

Chris

Re: How To Remove Favourites Bar From IE8
I am not sure what you mean Jean. How can I do this and what would be the
result?

Kind Regards
Chris

"Jean Rosenfeld" wrote:

> You could also delete all the items in the favourites bar folder...
>
> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you to everyone who replied. It seems that the favouites bar which
> > also
> > shows the tabs can't be removed in IE8 even if it is disabled in
> > view/toolbars. I have followed the suggestion to right click/customise and
> > show icons only so it will take less space.
> >
> > Kind Regards
> > Chris
> >
> > "rob^_^" wrote:
> >
> >> That's just an aberration that IE8 adds to the Favorites folders list.
> >> The
> >> folder does not physically exist. Open your Favorites folder with
> >> Explorer.exe, you will see that the Favorites Bar folder is still named
> >> 'Links' in the Favorites sub-folders.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately you cannot remove it from the IE8 Favorites Center List.
> >> All
> >> IE versions will create a 'Links' sub folder if one does not already
> >> exist.
> >>
> >> Regards.

Jean Rosenfeld

Re: How To Remove Favourites Bar From IE8
If you open the favorites sidebar (if not open click on the orangy star near
top left, and if you wish pin it, click on the little green arrow, then
click on favorites tab if not already at that tab) then as you scroll down
through your favorites you will see the folder called favorites bar. Like
any other folders you might have sorted your favorites into, you can delete
(by right click delete) or move to elsewhere (by dragging) any item that is
in the favorites bar folder (or add more if you want to).

By the way, I have no problem on my system (IE8 on XP SP3), not showing the
favorites toolbar (along the upper part of the browser); but I understood
you to say that even if you unlocked the toolbars and unchecked favorites
bar, it remained. My suggestion was that if you emptied the Favorites bar
folder, the favorites toolbar would be empty and therefore less intrusive.

>I am not sure what you mean Jean. How can I do this and what would be the
> result?
>
> Kind Regards
> Chris
>
> "Jean Rosenfeld" wrote:
>
>> You could also delete all the items in the favourites bar folder...
>>
>> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank you to everyone who replied. It seems that the favouites bar
>> > which
>> > also
>> > shows the tabs can't be removed in IE8 even if it is disabled in
>> > view/toolbars. I have followed the suggestion to right click/customise
>> > and
>> > show icons only so it will take less space.
>> >
>> > Kind Regards
>> > Chris

Chris

Re: How To Remove Favourites Bar From IE8
Thank you very much for explaining this. Useful to know.

Kind Regards
Chris