IE8 Favorites List 'Latency'? Why and How To Stop It?

Susan

IE8 Favorites List 'Latency'? Why and How To Stop It?
IE8 in Vista 64-bit OS PC... Probably since around the time Windows Update
installed IE8 I've noticed that when I open Favorites and mouse through the
pulldown list that there is a 'latency' (if that is the correct word) where
if I stop moving the mouse the pointer continues on for several more
Favorites past where it was when I stopped moving the mouse. Moving the
mouse pointer back results in the same effect. I can compensate by stopping
before the Favorite I'm looking for so that the pointer sails on and stops
on the right spot or just make smaller/incremental adjustments.

This is after the computer has been up for a while and after I have been
using IE8 maybe several times. If I reboot the problem initially goes away
and the pointer acts normal in the Favorites list. IE7 and prior never did
this. Anyone know what is going on? Do I need to reboot the computer every
hour or so--not!

Thanks.

Susan

Re: IE8 Favorites List 'Latency'? Why and How To Stop It?
"Susan" <UCE@null.invalid> wrote in message
> This is after the computer has been up for a while and after I have been
> using IE8 maybe several times. If I reboot the problem initially goes
> away and the pointer acts normal in the Favorites list. IE7 and prior
> never did this. Anyone know what is going on? Do I need to reboot the
> computer every hour or so--not!
>
> Thanks.

Forgot to add that I've noticed one other thing that slows down too. I like
to hide Vista's task bar at bottom of desktop. After a while it starts
behaving jerky and won't rise or fall smoothly, especially the round 'Start'
button. This too clears up when I reboot.

Don Varnau

Re: IE8 Favorites List 'Latency'? Why and How To Stop It?
Part A...

1. Check for an incompatible browser add-on.

IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:

Problem: Crashes or hangs
http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp

2. If the problem is not caused by an add-on, look for a third-party program
as the cause.
936214- How to troubleshoot compatibility problems that affect IE7 in
Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936214 (Also applies to XP)

Part B... This may be a malware issue.

1. Scan with Windows Defender - already installed on Vista - free download
for XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...r/default.mspx

2. Run the Malicious Software Removal Tool.
This is not a wide-spectrum tool, but is worth running.

3. Run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

4. If there is *any* reason to suspect that these tools didn't remove all
malware, visit one of these sites, register and follow the protocol.

Aumha:
http://www.aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
Start at http://www.aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075

SpywareHammer:
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&boa rd=10.0
Read:
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&top ic=87.0
then
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&top ic=88.0

Bleeping Computer:
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

> Forgot to add that I've noticed one other thing that slows down too. I

like
> to hide Vista's task bar at bottom of desktop. After a while it starts
> behaving jerky and won't rise or fall smoothly, especially the round

'Start'
> button. This too clears up when I reboot.

Susan

Re: IE8 Favorites List 'Latency'? Why and How To Stop It?
I've got my work cut out for me with all your input--thank you... and thank
you Microsoft.

I am using Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 and scanned and found an earlier
version of Java that was reinstalled somehow and designated a potential
vulnerability. I fixed that by uninstalling the earlier version/build.
Also designated a vulnerability was an earlier but also recent Adobe Flash
and plugin. I uninstalled them and installed the latest Flash from Adobe
and also AIR. I scanned again and KIS found nothing.

How important is scanning with Windows Defender? Actually, I have it
disabled (I think)--disabled its Service I believe. Maybe if it isn't
really disabled it is causing the latency buildup? How important is
Defending. Between my router and KIS I am already double-firewalling. With
Defender and KIS won't I also be doubling my other securities--antivirus,
etc? Is that good? Can you or anyone convince me to use both Defender and
KIS?

Thanks.

> Part B... This may be a malware issue.
>
> 1. Scan with Windows Defender - already installed on Vista - free download
> for XP:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...r/default.mspx

Don Varnau

Re: IE8 Favorites List 'Latency'? Why and How To Stop It?
Hi,
Quote:

> > > This is after the computer has been up for a while and after I have

been
> > > using IE8 maybe several times. If I reboot the problem initially goes
> > > away

> > After a while it [taskbar] starts behaving jerky
These behaviors suggest that another program (possibly legitimate- possibly
malware) has become active and is using resources or simply interfering with
Internet Explorer.

KIS and Defender:
No, you do not need to be running both products. It's possible to have too
much real-time protection. Scanning with several products, however, is
common practice. No anti-malware program will detect and remove *all*
malware.

These four programs are free (or there's a free version) and safe:
1. Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool
2. Windows Defender
3. Malwarebytes AntiMalware
4. SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/
(Just added to my list)

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

> These behaviors suggest that another program (possibly legitimate-
> possibly
> malware) has become active and is using resources or simply interfering
> with
> Internet Explorer.

When IE8 is acting up and the system is clearly getting sluggish I can run
the mouse up and down through my Favorites list and clearly see the latency
of the mouse pointer. At the same time the fan speed picks up and you know
the CPU must be working harder. I can then switch over to the Task Manager
(already running) and look at Processes and note that Explorer's CPU is
maybe at 35 to 46. As soon as this number falls down to 00 the fan speed
falls back to a normal low rate. I can then repeat this all over again.
But sometimes, even though I see the Favorites mouse pointer latency
Explorer in the Processes remains around 01 or so.

I run M$'s Malicious Software Removal Tool via Windows Update once a month.
It has never produced any results that I have been aware of.

Besides periodically continuing to run KIS I will reactivate and run
Defender manually. I wonder what the end result is if I live with the
sluggishness and don't periodically reboot. Maybe I'll leave this beast on
all night and see what it looks like tomorrow?

> KIS and Defender:
> No, you do not need to be running both products. It's possible to have too
> much real-time protection. Scanning with several products, however, is
> common practice. No anti-malware program will detect and remove *all*
> malware.
>
> These four programs are free (or there's a free version) and safe:
> 1. Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool
> 2. Windows Defender
> 3. Malwarebytes AntiMalware
> 4. SuperAntiSpyware
> http://www.superantispyware.com/
> (Just added to my list)
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]

Susan

Re: IE8 Favorites List 'Latency'? Why and How To Stop It?
>> KIS and Defender:
>> No, you do not need to be running both products. It's possible to have
>> too
>> much real-time protection. Scanning with several products, however, is
>> common practice. No anti-malware program will detect and remove *all*
>> malware.
>>
>> These four programs are free (or there's a free version) and safe:
>> 1. Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool
>> 2. Windows Defender
>> 3. Malwarebytes AntiMalware
>> 4. SuperAntiSpyware
>> http://www.superantispyware.com/
>> (Just added to my list)
>>
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]

This is an interesting problem so far. The latency symptoms I described
have disappeared although Disk Cleanup might have removed something that was
clogging up IE8 and/or the desktop. Besides that I reactivated Windows
Defender, updated and ran it. But it found nothing. I then ran the latest
MS Malicious Software Removal Tool and it found nothing. And I ran another
KIS sweep. It noted something like a Java update I needed and a Firefox
update I needed and after updating those then found no vulnerabilities. I
also unloaded the game DVD, 'Prototype' that was in the tray installed and
ready to play. And at some point after rebooting I tried IE8 again and left
it running for most of a day and the latency in its Favorites or in the
desktop Task Bar has not returned once since. I loaded the game DVD again
and played it a few times but left the DVD with the tray closed and still no
latency issue has returned. This had been bothering me a number of days
prior in-between reboots and running many several apps in the course of a
day and seeing this latency problem many times, which was usually what would
drive me to reboot since that would clear up the problem for a while.

I was wondering if disabling Defender's service might have been upsetting
the PC cart? Whether there was still code somewhere trying to monitor
something but couldn't? Or, I was wondering if just running these programs
like a KIS, Defender, and Malicious scan, even though nothing was found,
could be "straightening out" unknowns that didn't need to be mentioned? Is
that possible?

I'll have to wait and see now if I ever see this latency again--I don't know
how to create it on purpose.

Thanks.