Can no longer open IE 7 "normally" upon uninstall of IE 8

Tony Multari

Can no longer open IE 7 "normally" upon uninstall of IE 8
Upon unistalling IE 8 and reverting to IE 7, I can NO LONGER get IE 7 to
open by clicking/double-clicking any IE icons - or by right-click and
selecting "Open"!

Then only way I can get IE 7 to open now is to right click an IE icon and
select "Run as administrator", or by selecting a previously browsed item, in
the Start menu search pane.

It won't open by typing "iexplore" in the search box, or the "run" utility.

Running Vista 32bit Home Premium SP1, IE 7 ver 7.06.6001.18000

Tony

Re: Can no longer open IE 7 "normally" upon uninstall of IE 8
in the background when you installed and/or uninstalled IE8?

Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?

Did you use System Restore to remove IE8 instead of uninstalling it?

Tony Multari wrote:
> Upon unistalling IE 8 and reverting to IE 7, I can NO LONGER get IE 7 to
> open by clicking/double-clicking any IE icons - or by right-click and
> selecting "Open"!
>
> Then only way I can get IE 7 to open now is to right click an IE icon and
> select "Run as administrator", or by selecting a previously browsed item,
> in
> the Start menu search pane.
>
> It won't open by typing "iexplore" in the search box, or the "run"
> utility.
>
> Running Vista 32bit Home Premium SP1, IE 7 ver 7.06.6001.18000
>
> Tony

Tony Multari

Re: Can no longer open IE 7 "normally" upon uninstall of IE 8

No other spyware apps on computer, other than Windows Defender

No third-party firewall installed

NIS running - in the background as a running process, not as an active
application - during the install and uninstall - am sure it can be disabled
/ process ended / removed from startup list if necessary

This computer came pre-installed with Norton Anti-Virus 2007, which, through
their upgrade process, I've upgraded to NIS (listed above).

I did not, nor have I ever, use System Restore on this computer. I
uninstalled through "Uninstall or change a program" in Control Panel.

Tony

> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> applications running in the background when you installed and/or
> uninstalled IE8?
>
> Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?
>
> Did you use System Restore to remove IE8 instead of uninstalling it?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Tony Multari wrote:
>> Upon unistalling IE 8 and reverting to IE 7, I can NO LONGER get IE 7 to
>> open by clicking/double-clicking any IE icons - or by right-click and
>> selecting "Open"!
>>
>> Then only way I can get IE 7 to open now is to right click an IE icon and
>> select "Run as administrator", or by selecting a previously browsed item,
>> in
>> the Start menu search pane.
>>
>> It won't open by typing "iexplore" in the search box, or the "run"
>> utility.
>>
>> Running Vista 32bit Home Premium SP1, IE 7 ver 7.06.6001.18000
>>
>> Tony

Re: Can no longer open IE 7 "normally" upon uninstall of IE 8
Are you running NIS 2009 v3.x or v2.5, Tony?

Ideally, all NIS components (including the Norton Firewall and any Norton
Add-ons) would have been disabled and the Windows Firewall enabled prior to
installing and uninstalling IE8. Not having done so could be related to
your current problem (as could NIS 2009 v2.5 itself, which is not supported
in IE8).

Another fly in the ointment is the fact that Norton applications are
notorious for not upgrading (or uninstalling) cleanly. Ideally, you would
have (1) uninstalled the NAV free-trial then (2) downloaded & run the Norton
Removal Tool prior to installing (3) NIS.

When you installed IE8, a Restore Point was created. Assuming you remember
the date IE8 was installed, is there a corresponding Restore Point? NB:
Just asking for now! Please don't use the Restore Point just yet.
--
~PA Bear

Tony Multari wrote:
> No other spyware apps on computer, other than Windows Defender
>
> No third-party firewall installed
>
> NIS running - in the background as a running process, not as an active
> application - during the install and uninstall - am sure it can be
> disabled
> / process ended / removed from startup list if necessary
>
> This computer came pre-installed with Norton Anti-Virus 2007, which,
> through
> their upgrade process, I've upgraded to NIS (listed above).
>
> I did not, nor have I ever, use System Restore on this computer. I
> uninstalled through "Uninstall or change a program" in Control Panel.
>
> Tony

>> applications running in the background when you installed and/or
>> uninstalled IE8?
>>
>> Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> bought
>> it)?
>>
>> Did you use System Restore to remove IE8 instead of uninstalling it?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> Tony Multari wrote:
>>> Upon unistalling IE 8 and reverting to IE 7, I can NO LONGER get IE 7 to
>>> open by clicking/double-clicking any IE icons - or by right-click and
>>> selecting "Open"!
>>>
>>> Then only way I can get IE 7 to open now is to right click an IE icon
>>> and
>>> select "Run as administrator", or by selecting a previously browsed
>>> item,
>>> in
>>> the Start menu search pane.
>>>
>>> It won't open by typing "iexplore" in the search box, or the "run"
>>> utility.
>>>
>>> Running Vista 32bit Home Premium SP1, IE 7 ver 7.06.6001.18000
>>>
>>> Tony

Tony Multari

Re: Can no longer open IE 7 "normally" upon uninstall of IE 8
Unable to find other info for NIS 2009 except version listed in "Help About"
as NIS ver 16.5.0.135

I recall downloading the Norton Removal Tool . . . but am assuming that the
"Trial" version (which was really just a partial-time subscriptin of NAV)
would have been uninstalled as part of the install process of NIS . . .
unless I was prompted/required to perform an uninstall of NAV prior to the
install of NIS - which of course, I would have done as instructed. (It's
been six months now . . . memory fades LOL)

I see a restore point listed in System Restore of about the same time as I
think I must have tried the upgrade . . . about two weeks ago as part of
Windows Update.

Am very curious if there is a remedy for this odd behavior from IE7.

> Are you running NIS 2009 v3.x or v2.5, Tony?
>
> Ideally, all NIS components (including the Norton Firewall and any Norton
> Add-ons) would have been disabled and the Windows Firewall enabled prior
> to installing and uninstalling IE8. Not having done so could be related
> to your current problem (as could NIS 2009 v2.5 itself, which is not
> supported in IE8).
>
> Another fly in the ointment is the fact that Norton applications are
> notorious for not upgrading (or uninstalling) cleanly. Ideally, you would
> have (1) uninstalled the NAV free-trial then (2) downloaded & run the
> Norton Removal Tool prior to installing (3) NIS.
>
> When you installed IE8, a Restore Point was created. Assuming you
> remember the date IE8 was installed, is there a corresponding Restore
> Point? NB: Just asking for now! Please don't use the Restore Point just
> yet.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> Tony Multari wrote:
>> No other spyware apps on computer, other than Windows Defender
>>
>> No third-party firewall installed
>>
>> NIS running - in the background as a running process, not as an active
>> application - during the install and uninstall - am sure it can be
>> disabled
>> / process ended / removed from startup list if necessary
>>
>> This computer came pre-installed with Norton Anti-Virus 2007, which,
>> through
>> their upgrade process, I've upgraded to NIS (listed above).
>>
>> I did not, nor have I ever, use System Restore on this computer. I
>> uninstalled through "Uninstall or change a program" in Control Panel.
>>
>> Tony

>>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
>>> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
>>> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
>>> applications running in the background when you installed and/or
>>> uninstalled IE8?
>>>
>>> Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>>> machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
>>> bought
>>> it)?
>>>
>>> Did you use System Restore to remove IE8 instead of uninstalling it?
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: Can no longer open IE 7 "normally" upon uninstall of IE 8
NIS v16.5.0.135 is NIS v3.0 so don't worry about that.

> I recall downloading the Norton Removal Tool . . .

Do you also recall uninstalling NAV and running the tool before installing
NIS? For now, I'll assume you did. More on this later, if need be. (The
NIS installation process would have upgraded the NAV trial only and therein
may lie the rub.)

Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

1. Can you open IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

2. Can you open IE7 if after (a) opening IE7 and then Resetting IE Advanced
settings (RIES)?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using so you know
what's going to happen but try it anyway, if #1 above didn't fix the
problem.

3. Can you open IE7 after booting into Safe Mode or Safe Mode with
Networking? [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
--
~PA Bear

Tony Multari wrote:
> Unable to find other info for NIS 2009 except version listed in "Help
> About"
> as NIS ver 16.5.0.135
>
> I recall downloading the Norton Removal Tool . . . but am assuming that
> the
> "Trial" version (which was really just a partial-time subscriptin of NAV)
> would have been uninstalled as part of the install process of NIS . . .
> unless I was prompted/required to perform an uninstall of NAV prior to the
> install of NIS - which of course, I would have done as instructed. (It's
> been six months now . . . memory fades LOL)
>
> I see a restore point listed in System Restore of about the same time as I
> think I must have tried the upgrade . . . about two weeks ago as part of
> Windows Update.
>
> Am very curious if there is a remedy for this odd behavior from IE7.

>> Are you running NIS 2009 v3.x or v2.5, Tony?
>>
>> Ideally, all NIS components (including the Norton Firewall and any Norton
>> Add-ons) would have been disabled and the Windows Firewall enabled prior
>> to installing and uninstalling IE8. Not having done so could be related
>> to your current problem (as could NIS 2009 v2.5 itself, which is not
>> supported in IE8).
>>
>> Another fly in the ointment is the fact that Norton applications are
>> notorious for not upgrading (or uninstalling) cleanly. Ideally, you
>> would
>> have (1) uninstalled the NAV free-trial then (2) downloaded & run the
>> Norton Removal Tool prior to installing (3) NIS.
>>
>> When you installed IE8, a Restore Point was created. Assuming you
>> remember the date IE8 was installed, is there a corresponding Restore
>> Point? NB: Just asking for now! Please don't use the Restore Point just
>> yet.
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>

>> Tony Multari wrote:
>>> No other spyware apps on computer, other than Windows Defender
>>>
>>> No third-party firewall installed
>>>
>>> NIS running - in the background as a running process, not as an active
>>> application - during the install and uninstall - am sure it can be
>>> disabled
>>> / process ended / removed from startup list if necessary
>>>
>>> This computer came pre-installed with Norton Anti-Virus 2007, which,
>>> through
>>> their upgrade process, I've upgraded to NIS (listed above).
>>>
>>> I did not, nor have I ever, use System Restore on this computer. I
>>> uninstalled through "Uninstall or change a program" in Control Panel.
>>>
>>> Tony

Tony Multari

Re: Can no longer open IE 7 "normally" upon uninstall of IE 8
I'm sure I followed any instructions as given by the Norton Installer - wish
I could be more specific - if the installer asked that I uninstall NAV and
then run the Removal Tool, then I'm certain that I did. . . .

IE7 *WILL* open ("normally"?) 1) in (No Add-ons) version and 2) in Safe
Mode.

I *HAVE NOT* attempted to reset settings through RIES, pending your
direction, since you had inquired about the other two options first.

Running Vista Home Premium SP1

> [...]

>>> to your current problem (as could NIS 2009 v2.5 itself, which is not
>>> supported in IE8).
>>>
>>> Another fly in the ointment is the fact that Norton applications are
>>> notorious for not upgrading (or uninstalling) cleanly. Ideally, you
>>> would
>>> have (1) uninstalled the NAV free-trial then (2) downloaded & run the
>>> Norton Removal Tool prior to installing (3) NIS.
>>>
>>> When you installed IE8, a Restore Point was created. Assuming you
>>> remember the date IE8 was installed, is there a corresponding Restore
>>> Point? NB: Just asking for now! Please don't use the Restore Point
>>> just
>>> yet.
>>> --
>>> ~PA Bear

Re: Can no longer open IE 7 "normally" upon uninstall of IE 8
You have two (2) options:

1. See the troubleshooting steps here to see if you can identify the
troublemaker(s) - Tip: Start with the Norton Add-ons:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx (applies to IE8,
too); or...

2. Do a Reset. Afterwards, re-enable/reinstall add-ons, one-by-one, until
you find the troublemakers - Tip: Leave the Norton Add-ons for last.

Tony Multari wrote:
> I'm sure I followed any instructions as given by the Norton Installer -
> wish
> I could be more specific - if the installer asked that I uninstall NAV and
> then run the Removal Tool, then I'm certain that I did. . . .
>
> IE7 *WILL* open ("normally"?) 1) in (No Add-ons) version and 2) in Safe
> Mode.
>
> I *HAVE NOT* attempted to reset settings through RIES, pending your
> direction, since you had inquired about the other two options first.
>
> Running Vista Home Premium SP1

>> NIS v16.5.0.135 is NIS v3.0 so don't worry about that.
>>
>>> I recall downloading the Norton Removal Tool . . .

>> Do you also recall uninstalling NAV and running the tool before
>> installing
>> NIS? For now, I'll assume you did. More on this later, if need be.
>> (The
>> NIS installation process would have upgraded the NAV trial only and
>> therein may lie the rub.)
>>
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
>> when posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> 1. Can you open IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start IE in No Add-ons mode:
>>
>> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>> Add-ons; or

>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>
>> 2. Can you open IE7 if after (a) opening IE7 and then Resetting IE
>> Advanced settings (RIES)?
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using so you know
>> what's going to happen but try it anyway, if #1 above didn't fix the
>> problem.
>>
>> 3. Can you open IE7 after booting into Safe Mode or Safe Mode with
>> Networking? [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>

>> Tony Multari wrote:
>>> Unable to find other info for NIS 2009 except version listed in "Help
>>> About"
>>> as NIS ver 16.5.0.135
>>>
>>> I recall downloading the Norton Removal Tool . . . but am assuming that
>>> the
>>> "Trial" version (which was really just a partial-time subscriptin of
>>> NAV)
>>> would have been uninstalled as part of the install process of NIS . . .
>>> unless I was prompted/required to perform an uninstall of NAV prior to
>>> the
>>> install of NIS - which of course, I would have done as instructed.
>>> (It's
>>> been six months now . . . memory fades LOL)
>>>
>>> I see a restore point listed in System Restore of about the same time as
>>> think I must have tried the upgrade . . . about two weeks ago as part of
>>> Windows Update.
>>>
>>> Am very curious if there is a remedy for this odd behavior from IE7.

Tony Multari

Re: Can no longer open IE 7 "normally" upon uninstall of IE 8
Performed RIES - all seems to be well

Thanx, Tony

> You have two (2) options:
>
> 1. See the troubleshooting steps here to see if you can identify the
> troublemaker(s) - Tip: Start with the Norton Add-ons:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx (applies to IE8,
> too); or...
>
> 2. Do a Reset. Afterwards, re-enable/reinstall add-ons, one-by-one, until
> you find the troublemakers - Tip: Leave the Norton Add-ons for last.
>

> Tony Multari wrote:
>> I'm sure I followed any instructions as given by the Norton Installer -
>> wish
>> I could be more specific - if the installer asked that I uninstall NAV
>> and
>> then run the Removal Tool, then I'm certain that I did. . . .
>>
>> IE7 *WILL* open ("normally"?) 1) in (No Add-ons) version and 2) in Safe
>> Mode.
>>
>> I *HAVE NOT* attempted to reset settings through RIES, pending your
>> direction, since you had inquired about the other two options first.
>>
>> Running Vista Home Premium SP1

>>> NIS v16.5.0.135 is NIS v3.0 so don't worry about that.

>>> Do you also recall uninstalling NAV and running the tool before
>>> installing
>>> NIS? For now, I'll assume you did. More on this later, if need be.
>>> (The
>>> NIS installation process would have upgraded the NAV trial only and
>>> therein may lie the rub.)
>>>
>>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
>>> when posting to this newsgroup.
>>>
>>> 1. Can you open IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start IE in No Add-ons mode:
>>>
>>> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>>> Add-ons; or
>>>
>>> => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
>>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>>
>>> 2. Can you open IE7 if after (a) opening IE7 and then Resetting IE
>>> Advanced settings (RIES)?
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using so you know
>>> what's going to happen but try it anyway, if #1 above didn't fix the
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> 3. Can you open IE7 after booting into Safe Mode or Safe Mode with
>>> Networking? [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to
>>> test!]
>>> --
>>> ~PA Bear

Re: Can no longer open IE 7 "normally" upon uninstall of IE 8
YW & thanks for your feedback.