Re: IE 6 won't open

[Crosspost to IE General & Windows Update newsgroups]

Barbara wrote:
> On 7/31/2009 2:22 PM Pacific Time, Barbara wrote thusly:
>> I tried to open Internet Explorer today and it gave a memory error (I
>> did not write it down). Then, I tried again and it gives the message
>> "program needs to close" do you want to send info to Microsoft, etc.
>> Many times. Tried to use IE Tab within Firefox and get the same error.
>> Tried to do Windows Update and get the same error.
>> I know a download patch or patches came through in the past few days
>> for IE 6 updates.
>> I have Windows XP SP 3. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions what
>> to do other than wait for a subsequent patch?
>> My computer has been worked on recently and the operating was
>> "refreshed" whatever that means and all patches applied, so the
>> operating system should be up-to-date.
>> I do not have IE 7 or IE 8.
>> Thanks in advance
>>

> I went back to the last patch installed a couple days ago (KB977260 -
> cumulative IE 6 security patches), uninstalled it, rebooted and IE 6
> works again. I hope my many reports to MS of the crashes will let them
> know that's a bad one - at least for me.

Barbara, KB972260 (not KB977260) addresses a critical security
vulnerability, one that's being actively exploited as I type this reply.

You do NOT want your computer connected to the internet or any networks with
it and all other critical security updates installed!

>> My computer has been worked on recently and the operating was
>> "refreshed" whatever that means...

What was the problem and who did the work? I suspect your problems have NOT
been resolved and that the same issues were causing the behavior, not having
installed KB972260.

You could always...

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB972260).

LOOK!! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE
(e.g., KB972260), call the above number and ask to be transferred to the
"Consumer IE queue" (which is 47830).

Support for Windows Update:

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Barbara

Re: IE 6 won't open
On 7/31/2009 4:34 PM Pacific Time, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote thusly:
> [Crosspost to IE General & Windows Update newsgroups]
>
> Barbara wrote:
>> On 7/31/2009 2:22 PM Pacific Time, Barbara wrote thusly:
>>> I tried to open Internet Explorer today and it gave a memory error (I
>>> did not write it down). Then, I tried again and it gives the message
>>> "program needs to close" do you want to send info to Microsoft, etc.
>>> Many times. Tried to use IE Tab within Firefox and get the same error.
>>> Tried to do Windows Update and get the same error.
>>> I know a download patch or patches came through in the past few days
>>> for IE 6 updates.
>>> I have Windows XP SP 3. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions what
>>> to do other than wait for a subsequent patch?
>>> My computer has been worked on recently and the operating was
>>> "refreshed" whatever that means and all patches applied, so the
>>> operating system should be up-to-date.
>>> I do not have IE 7 or IE 8.
>>> Thanks in advance
>>>

>> I went back to the last patch installed a couple days ago (KB977260 -
>> cumulative IE 6 security patches), uninstalled it, rebooted and IE 6
>> works again. I hope my many reports to MS of the crashes will let them
>> know that's a bad one - at least for me.

> Barbara, KB972260 (not KB977260) addresses a critical security
> vulnerability, one that's being actively exploited as I type this reply.
>
> You do NOT want your computer connected to the internet or any networks
> with it and all other critical security updates installed!
>
>>> My computer has been worked on recently and the operating was
>>> "refreshed" whatever that means...

> What was the problem and who did the work? I suspect your problems have
> NOT
> been resolved and that the same issues were causing the behavior, not
> having
> installed KB972260.
>
> You could always...

> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
> related
> to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB972260).
>
> LOOK!! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE
> (e.g., KB972260), call the above number and ask to be transferred to the
> "Consumer IE queue" (which is 47830).
>
> Support for Windows Update:

> your usual support contacts.

Sorry about the typo in the number. The local computer shop that built
my computer originally did the work on it. I could not write to a CD
with my new DVD/CD writer and they were trying to fix that issue, which
I had reported to Microsoft Technical support, since nothing I did nor
anything they did resolve the problem (recently posted on this list also).
I normally install all the critical updates and did this one when it
popped up. All I know is that I could not open IE 6 today and
uninstalling that patch allowed it to work again.
I will follow-up and report my problem via the links you noted above.
Thanks I had no idea there were such resources available.

Barbara

Re: IE 6 won't open
Barbara wrote:
>> [Crosspost to IE General & Windows Update newsgroups]
>>
>> Barbara wrote:
>>>>
>>> I went back to the last patch installed a couple days ago (KB977260 -
>>> cumulative IE 6 security patches), uninstalled it, rebooted and IE 6
>>> works again. I hope my many reports to MS of the crashes will let them
>>> know that's a bad one - at least for me.

>> Barbara, KB972260 (not KB977260) addresses a critical security
>> vulnerability, one that's being actively exploited as I type this reply.
>>
>> You do NOT want your computer connected to the internet or any networks
>> with it and all other critical security updates installed!

>> What was the problem and who did the work? I suspect your problems have
>> NOT
>> been resolved and that the same issues were causing the behavior, not
>> having
>> installed KB972260.
>>
>> You could always...

>> in
>> with
>> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
>> related
>> to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB972260).
>>
>> LOOK!! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE
>> (e.g., KB972260), call the above number and ask to be transferred to the
>> "Consumer IE queue" (which is 47830).
>>
>> Support for Windows Update:
>>
>> For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
>> for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
>> site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
>>
>> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
>> through
>> your usual support contacts.

> Sorry about the typo in the number. The local computer shop that built
> my computer originally did the work on it. I could not write to a CD
> with my new DVD/CD writer and they were trying to fix that issue, which
> I had reported to Microsoft Technical support, since nothing I did nor
> anything they did resolve the problem (recently posted on this list also).
> I normally install all the critical updates and did this one when it
> popped up. All I know is that I could not open IE 6 today and
> uninstalling that patch allowed it to work again.
> I will follow-up and report my problem via the links you noted above.
> Thanks I had no idea there were such resources available.

You're welcome, Barbara, and best of luck. I suspect that the shop did NOT
fix the problem and I suspect that only a format & clean install of Windows
will. Good luck.