IE7: Find more providers - how to do this without internet?

JaimeZX

IE7: Find more providers - how to do this without internet?
Hello!

We have a bunch of machines on our intranet; all have a standard image with
IE7. I'd like to be able to use the search bar for our internal search, but
if I choose the "find more providers" it tries to go to the Microsoft
website. Trouble is, our internal network is not connected to the internet.

How can I manually set up the search bar to work with our intranet?

Thanks much in advance!

Jim
Singapore Computer Service

Re: Find more providers - how to do this without internet?
Hello,

Use OpenSearch at your site
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSearch

Regards,
Singapore Computer Home Repair Service

See http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/searchbuilder.asp

JaimeZX wrote:
> We have a bunch of machines on our intranet; all have a standard image
> with
> IE7. I'd like to be able to use the search bar for our internal search,
> but
> if I choose the "find more providers" it tries to go to the Microsoft
> website. Trouble is, our internal network is not connected to the
> internet.
>
> How can I manually set up the search bar to work with our intranet?
>
> Thanks much in advance!

JaimeZX

Re: Find more providers - how to do this without internet?
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear; alternatively, I might not have
understood what you were trying to tell me.

None of these office computers has an internet connection. I cannot send any
of them to any website. I assume that there is a .dat or .ini or a registry
entry somewhere; I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks again!

Jim

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> See http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/searchbuilder.asp
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> JaimeZX wrote:
> > We have a bunch of machines on our intranet; all have a standard image
> > with
> > IE7. I'd like to be able to use the search bar for our internal search,
> > but
> > if I choose the "find more providers" it tries to go to the Microsoft
> > website. Trouble is, our internal network is not connected to the
> > internet.
> >
> > How can I manually set up the search bar to work with our intranet?
> >
> > Thanks much in advance!

G. R. Woodring

Re: Find more providers - how to do this without internet?
You will need to visit the site provided by PA Bear with a computer that has
internet access. The main part of the page allows you to create an .XML file
that will be the search add-in.

Lower on the page is the link: "4. WebDevs: Learn more about how to _add search
providers from script_." which takes you here:
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa744112(VS.85).aspx>.

This page describes how to create a simple .HTML page containing a button to add
the search provider plug-in. The .HTML file and .XML file can be copied onto a
floppy or USB drive for transfer to the office computers. Open the .HTML file
in IE and click the button.

In a worst case scenario you might need to print out the .XML and .HTML files
and retype them in Notepad on the office computers. That would not be much more
effort than typing this message :-)

--
G. R. Woodring

Date: 7/31/2009 11:01 PM, Author: JaimeZX Wrote:
> Perhaps I didn't make myself clear; alternatively, I might not have
> understood what you were trying to tell me.
>
> None of these office computers has an internet connection. I cannot send any
> of them to any website. I assume that there is a .dat or .ini or a registry
> entry somewhere; I just need to be pointed in the right direction.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Jim
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> See http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/searchbuilder.asp
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> JaimeZX wrote:
>>> We have a bunch of machines on our intranet; all have a standard image
>>> with
>>> IE7. I'd like to be able to use the search bar for our internal search,
>>> but
>>> if I choose the "find more providers" it tries to go to the Microsoft
>>> website. Trouble is, our internal network is not connected to the
>>> internet.
>>>
>>> How can I manually set up the search bar to work with our intranet?
>>>
>>> Thanks much in advance!

JaimeZX

Re: Find more providers - how to do this without internet?
I see; I will definitely have to print-and-retype as portable media devices
are next to impossible to get into the intranet; but I really think I can
make this work. Thanks very much for your help!

Jim

"G. R. Woodring" wrote:

> You will need to visit the site provided by PA Bear with a computer that has
> internet access. The main part of the page allows you to create an .XML file
> that will be the search add-in.
>
> Lower on the page is the link: "4. WebDevs: Learn more about how to _add search
> providers from script_." which takes you here:
> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa744112(VS.85).aspx>.
>
> This page describes how to create a simple .HTML page containing a button to add
> the search provider plug-in. The .HTML file and .XML file can be copied onto a
> floppy or USB drive for transfer to the office computers. Open the .HTML file
> in IE and click the button.
>
> In a worst case scenario you might need to print out the .XML and .HTML files
> and retype them in Notepad on the office computers. That would not be much more
> effort than typing this message :-)
>
> --
> G. R. Woodring
>
> Date: 7/31/2009 11:01 PM, Author: JaimeZX Wrote:
> > Perhaps I didn't make myself clear; alternatively, I might not have
> > understood what you were trying to tell me.
> >
> > None of these office computers has an internet connection. I cannot send any
> > of them to any website. I assume that there is a .dat or .ini or a registry
> > entry somewhere; I just need to be pointed in the right direction.
> >
> > Thanks again!
> >
> > Jim
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> See http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/searchbuilder.asp
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

JaimeZX

Re: Find more providers - how to do this without internet?
Sir: I've spent a while on this today so far. I get the .html/.xml thing
working okay; I can click the button or choose "Add search providers -> (my
custom one)" - except when I try to add the search provider, I get a pop-up
that says the following:
=============================
The search provider could not be installed.

This might have happened because:
- A required file could not be downloaded
- The website is unavailable
- You are not connected to the Internet

You might want to try again later.
[OK]
=============================

For testing purposes I'm just trying to get Google Images to work.

The "provider.htm" file I have is this:
=============================
<INPUT TYPE="button" VALUE="Add Search Provider"

onClick='window.external.AddSearchProvider("C:\Doc uments and
Settings\me\Desktop\Provider.xml");'>

<link title="jimTest" rel="search"
type="application/opensearchdescription+xml"

href="c:\documents and settings\me\Desktop\Provider.xml">
==============================

and Provider.xml is this:
==============================
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
- <OpenSearchDescription xmlns="http://a9.com/-/spec/opensearch/1.1/">
<ShortName>JimTest</ShortName>
<Description>Test provider</Description>
<InputEncoding>UTF-8</InputEncoding>
<Url type="text/html"
template="http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q={searchTerms}&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=&aqi=" />
</OpenSearchDescription>
==============================

So... what am I missing????

Thanks again!

Jim

"G. R. Woodring" wrote:

> You will need to visit the site provided by PA Bear with a computer that has
> internet access. The main part of the page allows you to create an .XML file
> that will be the search add-in.
>
> Lower on the page is the link: "4. WebDevs: Learn more about how to _add search
> providers from script_." which takes you here:
> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa744112(VS.85).aspx>.
>
> This page describes how to create a simple .HTML page containing a button to add
> the search provider plug-in. The .HTML file and .XML file can be copied onto a
> floppy or USB drive for transfer to the office computers. Open the .HTML file
> in IE and click the button.
>
> In a worst case scenario you might need to print out the .XML and .HTML files
> and retype them in Notepad on the office computers. That would not be much more
> effort than typing this message :-)
>
> --
> G. R. Woodring
>
> Date: 7/31/2009 11:01 PM, Author: JaimeZX Wrote:
> > Perhaps I didn't make myself clear; alternatively, I might not have
> > understood what you were trying to tell me.
> >
> > None of these office computers has an internet connection. I cannot send any
> > of them to any website. I assume that there is a .dat or .ini or a registry
> > entry somewhere; I just need to be pointed in the right direction.
> >
> > Thanks again!
> >
> > Jim
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> See http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/searchbuilder.asp
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

G. R. Woodring

Re: Find more providers - how to do this without internet?
If the provider.htm file and Provider.xml are both on the desktop you should be
able to use just "Provider.xml" as the path rather than "C:\Documents and
Settings\me\Desktop\Provider.xml". Another possibility would be to use the file
protocol to specify the path "file:///C:/Documents and
Settings/me/Desktop/Provider.xml". Also case may matter so "Provider.xml" may
not work if the file is actually "provider.xml"

Note: Google Images won't work without internet access but if the installation
is successful you will find "JimTest" as an available search provider.

--
G. R. Woodring

Date: 8/2/2009 9:08 PM, Author: JaimeZX Wrote:
> [...]
>> the search provider plug-in. The .HTML file and .XML file can be copied onto a
>> floppy or USB drive for transfer to the office computers. Open the .HTML file
>> in IE and click the button.
>>
>> In a worst case scenario you might need to print out the .XML and .HTML files
>> and retype them in Notepad on the office computers. That would not be much more
>> effort than typing this message :-)
>>
>> --
>> G. R. Woodring
>>
>> Date: 7/31/2009 11:01 PM, Author: JaimeZX Wrote:
>>> Perhaps I didn't make myself clear; alternatively, I might not have
>>> understood what you were trying to tell me.
>>>
>>> None of these office computers has an internet connection. I cannot send any
>>> of them to any website. I assume that there is a .dat or .ini or a registry
>>> entry somewhere; I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

JaimeZX

Re: Find more providers - how to do this without internet?
Sir, the problem isn't that it doesn't find the XML.

The little down arrow turns orange and "jimTest" does in fact show up under
"Add search providers," but when I click on "jimTest" that's when I get the
"...could not be installed..." popup.

This is even if I copy-and-paste a "Create your own" XML (from the Find More
Providers page) into my desktop/Provider.xml document, so that it ought to be
"perfect" markup.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong because this whole thing seems very
straightforward until I actually try to execute.

Jim

"G. R. Woodring" wrote:

> [...]
> >

> > "G. R. Woodring" wrote:
> >
> >> You will need to visit the site provided by PA Bear with a computer that has
> >> internet access. The main part of the page allows you to create an .XML file
> >> that will be the search add-in.
> >>
> >> Lower on the page is the link: "4. WebDevs: Learn more about how to _add search
> >> providers from script_." which takes you here:
> >> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa744112(VS.85).aspx>.
> >>
> >> This page describes how to create a simple .HTML page containing a button to add
> >> the search provider plug-in. The .HTML file and .XML file can be copied onto a
> >> floppy or USB drive for transfer to the office computers. Open the .HTML file
> >> in IE and click the button.
> >>
> >> In a worst case scenario you might need to print out the .XML and .HTML files
> >> and retype them in Notepad on the office computers. That would not be much more

G. R. Woodring

Re: Find more providers - how to do this without internet?
I was able to create and install Acronym Finder as a search provider using the
"Create your own" method. After installing I found that the dropdown menu
included the site icon for Acronym Finder which was not part of the .XML file,
it seems IE must actually visit the site listed at template= to complete the
installation. For this to work template= will need to point to the address of a
search engine on your intranet. If your company hasn't written or licensed a
search engine hosted by a machine on your intranet, you won't be able to use any
search provider without access to the internet.

--
G. R. Woodring