Today, IE 8 began crashing on startup and has not stopped.

Take IE out of the OS, Pleeze

Today, IE 8 began crashing on startup and has not stopped.
It is not an isolated incident.

Without any apparent cause, the IE8 frame comes up and then a pop-up stating
that IE8 has stopped working and that it will close and find the reason.
Yes, IE closes and dies, but there's no reason.

I then performed a system restore to a two-day old checkpoint. The system
restore and shutdown took about 30 minutes.

Result, IE 8 still crashes on startup.

I am using Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I had no problems until today with
anything, except Photoshop, which refuses to remember that I registered it
when I installed it, an apparent "senior moment" for a registry entry. That
problem never occurred on XP.
Take IE out of the OS, Pleeze

RE: Today, IE 8 began crashing on startup and has not stopped.
Me again: The system restore failed for an unspecified reason. I suspect
that the problem was caused by an automatic update, perhaps the IE cumulative
security update, that arrived in last night's automatic update. A shame I
cannot remove it.

On the other hand, I guess IE's crashing indeed increases its security.
Perhaps it's a feature and not a bug.

"Take IE out of the OS, Pleeze" wrote:

> It is not an isolated incident.
>
> Without any apparent cause, the IE8 frame comes up and then a pop-up stating
> that IE8 has stopped working and that it will close and find the reason.
> Yes, IE closes and dies, but there's no reason.
>
> I then performed a system restore to a two-day old checkpoint. The system
> restore and shutdown took about 30 minutes.
>
> Result, IE 8 still crashes on startup.
>
> I am using Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I had no problems until today with
> anything, except Photoshop, which refuses to remember that I registered it
> when I installed it, an apparent "senior moment" for a registry entry. That
> problem never occurred on XP.

VanguardLH

Take IE out of the OS, wrote:

> Me again: The system restore failed for an unspecified reason. I suspect
> that the problem was caused by an automatic update, perhaps the IE cumulative
> security update, that arrived in last night's automatic update. A shame I
> cannot remove it.

That's YOUR choice. If you actually do want to know how to remove it,
ask.

> On the other hand, I guess IE's crashing indeed increases its security.
> Perhaps it's a feature and not a bug.

Always a possibility depending on your mood and chosen interpretation.
VanguardLH

Take IE out of the OS, wrote:

> It is not an isolated incident.
>
> Without any apparent cause, the IE8 frame comes up and then a pop-up stating
> that IE8 has stopped working and that it will close and find the reason.
> Yes, IE closes and dies, but there's no reason.
>
> I then performed a system restore to a two-day old checkpoint. The system
> restore and shutdown took about 30 minutes.
>
> Result, IE 8 still crashes on startup.
>
> I am using Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I had no problems until today with
> anything, except Photoshop, which refuses to remember that I registered it
> when I installed it, an apparent "senior moment" for a registry entry. That
> problem never occurred on XP.

System Restore is *not* an image restore of the OS partition. Don't
expect it to always (or even usually) get you back to a prior state of
your host. For that, you will need to use imaging software and do
backups regularly.

So did the problem remain after you loaded IE8 in its no add-ons mode?

Yet tried the following (one at a time and not necessarily in the
order shown here) and then retest?

- Reregister actxprxy.dll which contains the methods (functions)
for marshalling ActiveX objects. At a command prompt, run:
regsvr32.exe actxprxy.dll
In Vista, you will need to run this under admin privileges.
- Load IE8 in its no add-ons mode.
- Reset to defaults (Internet Options -> Advanced tab).
- Disable the DEP/NX buffer overrun option (Internet Options ->
Advanced tab -> Security section -> Enable memory protection).
Default setting: IE7 = disabled, IE8 = enabled. Many [old]
add-ons fail with DEP protection enabled.
- Reboot into Windows' Safe Mode (with networking) and retest IE.
- Disable all security software (anti-virus/malware, firewall, etc).

Re: Today, IE 8 began crashing on startup and has not stopped.
> I am using Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Vista, Vista SP1, or Vista SP2?

> A shame I cannot remove [the IE cumulative security update]

KB972260 can be uninstalled but I suspect it has nothing to do with the
crashes. Is that the only update that installed last night?

> I then performed a system restore to a two-day old checkpoint. The system
> restore and shutdown took about 30 minutes.

You may have horked the install of SP2 or an SP2 Prerequisite update when
you did that. Or you may have totally horked IE (IE8 and IE7).

Never, EVER "undo" an update by using System Restore!! Uninstall the update
instead.

Assuming IE8 still loads:

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

4b. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?

Take IE out of the OS, Pleeze wrote:
> Me again: The system restore failed for an unspecified reason. I suspect
> that the problem was caused by an automatic update, perhaps the IE
> cumulative security update, that arrived in last night's automatic update.
> A shame I cannot remove it.
>
> On the other hand, I guess IE's crashing indeed increases its security.
> Perhaps it's a feature and not a bug.
>
>> It is not an isolated incident.
>>
>> Without any apparent cause, the IE8 frame comes up and then a pop-up
>> stating that IE8 has stopped working and that it will close and find the
>> reason. Yes, IE closes and dies, but there's no reason.
>>
>> I then performed a system restore to a two-day old checkpoint. The
>> system
>> restore and shutdown took about 30 minutes.
>>
>> Result, IE 8 still crashes on startup.
>>
>> I am using Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I had no problems until today with
>> anything, except Photoshop, which refuses to remember that I registered
>> it
>> when I installed it, an apparent "senior moment" for a registry entry.
>> That problem never occurred on XP.

Singapore Computer Service

Re: Today, IE 8 began crashing on startup and has not stopped.
Hello,

** Solution 1 **
Try running IE8 with add-ons disabled. First ensure that all instances of
IEXPLORE.EXE are ended in Task Manager (press Ctrl+Shift+Esc on your
keyboard, processes tab, end process all IEXPLORE.EXE).

Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No
Add-ons) to start IE8 without any add-ons. Try using the browser and see if
it works now.

If it is works now, start IE8 normally, go to Tools (if the menu bar
does not appear, hit the Alt key on the keyboard) > Manage Add-ons. Here,
disable all the add-ons you don't need under 'Currently Loaded'

** Solution 2 **
In addition to the above, you can try disabling IE8's memory protection and
see if it helps. Start > Control Panel > Internet Options > Advanced > under
'Security', uncheck 'Enable memory protection to help mitigate online
attacks' > OK

** Otherwise **
Otherwise you can use the free Microsoft Phone Support for IE8 (see under
'for consumers')
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...t/call-us.aspx

quote:
Free phone support for Internet Explorer 8 is limited to installation,
set-up and usage only. Advanced issues are not supported. Advanced issues
include problems that are associated with software and hardware development,
network connectivity, server-based technologies, and business-critical
systems.

Regards,
Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
"Take IE out of the OS, Pleeze" <Take IE out of the OS,
Pleeze@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It is not an isolated incident.
>
> Without any apparent cause, the IE8 frame comes up and then a pop-up
> stating
> that IE8 has stopped working and that it will close and find the reason.
> Yes, IE closes and dies, but there's no reason.
>
> I then performed a system restore to a two-day old checkpoint. The system
> restore and shutdown took about 30 minutes.
>
> Result, IE 8 still crashes on startup.
>
> I am using Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I had no problems until today with
> anything, except Photoshop, which refuses to remember that I registered it
> when I installed it, an apparent "senior moment" for a registry entry.
> That
> problem never occurred on XP.

Toni

Re: Today, IE 8 began crashing on startup and has not stopped.
Tell us - what does the error say in the Event Log?

Singapore Computer Service wrote:

> Hello,
> Regards,
> Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
> http://www. bootstrike. com/ComputerService/
> Video Conversion VHS Video8 Hi8 Digital8 MiniDv MicroMv
> http://www. bootstrike. com/VHSVideoConvert/

Spammer: Singapore Computer

CAUTION: Be leery of advice from a SPAMMER who has a different agenda
than the pretense of giving help. This one does knows how to put his
spam in a signature but refuses to do so because some newsreaders strip
off the signature. He wants to ensure you see his spam.