IE7 Problems .

Stuart B

IE7 Problems .
I've been using IE 7 ( with Firefox as an alternative ) quite happily
but a few days ago I decided to try IE8 so having set a Restore Point
called Pre IE8 I installed it .I then decided I preferred IE7 ,one
thing being that I get a lot of e-mails from Forums with links to
topics I am watching and quite frequently IE8 did not open the page at
first time of asking ( I noticed that the link in the address bar was
partially greyed out...only the main part was in dark text) so I went
back to the Restore Point. What happened then was that the part at the
top of IE 7 with File/Edit/View etc and also the part immediately
below that with Home.Print etc was missing also .I tried to find an
answer to this and thought I had but IE was preventing the file
download ....I could hear the noise associated with the yellow bar
that appears but that was all...what then happened was that when I
manually entered a URL in the address bar IE shut down .

Totally exasperated I reinstalled a new download of IE7 but that
didn't work either so revoked the restore point and I am now back with
IE8 which I suppose I'll have to live with.

Any ideas how to get back to IE7?

Another thing that annoys me is that if I choose Firefox as my Default
Browser IE drops the add-ons so WTF is that all about .

--
Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address
but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded .
Leonard Grey

Re: IE7 Problems .
System Restore is /not/ the way to uninstall Internet Explorer. Here is
how to uninstall Internet Explorer:

"How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Now you're really up the creek, since you have conflicting versions of
system files on your computer. You may well end up re-installing
Windows, but first try this (no guarantee it will work):

Restart your computer, install Internet Explorer 8, restart your
computer twice, then try to remove Internet Explorer following the
directions above. With luck, you will be returned to your pre-existing
version of Internet Explorer.

***

You will continue to have trouble following newsgroups as long as you
view them through a web interface. Newsgroups are meant to be read with
a newsreader.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Stuart B wrote:
> I've been using IE 7 ( with Firefox as an alternative ) quite happily
> but a few days ago I decided to try IE8 so having set a Restore Point
> called Pre IE8 I installed it .I then decided I preferred IE7 ,one
> thing being that I get a lot of e-mails from Forums with links to
> topics I am watching and quite frequently IE8 did not open the page at
> first time of asking ( I noticed that the link in the address bar was
> partially greyed out...only the main part was in dark text) so I went
> back to the Restore Point. What happened then was that the part at the
> top of IE 7 with File/Edit/View etc and also the part immediately
> below that with Home.Print etc was missing also .I tried to find an
> answer to this and thought I had but IE was preventing the file
> download ....I could hear the noise associated with the yellow bar
> that appears but that was all...what then happened was that when I
> manually entered a URL in the address bar IE shut down .
>
> Totally exasperated I reinstalled a new download of IE7 but that
> didn't work either so revoked the restore point and I am now back with
> IE8 which I suppose I'll have to live with.
>
> Any ideas how to get back to IE7?
>
> Another thing that annoys me is that if I choose Firefox as my Default
> Browser IE drops the add-ons so WTF is that all about .
>

> --
> Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address
> but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded .
> Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

Stuart B

Re: IE7 Problems .
On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 15:50:42 -0400, Leonard Grey
<l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>Stuart B wrote:
>> I've been using IE 7 ( with Firefox as an alternative ) quite happily
>> but a few days ago I decided to try IE8 so having set a Restore Point
>> called Pre IE8 I installed it .I then decided I preferred IE7 ,one
>> thing being that I get a lot of e-mails from Forums with links to
>> topics I am watching and quite frequently IE8 did not open the page at
>> first time of asking ( I noticed that the link in the address bar was
>> partially greyed out...only the main part was in dark text) so I went
>> back to the Restore Point. What happened then was that the part at the
>> top of IE 7 with File/Edit/View etc and also the part immediately
>> below that with Home.Print etc was missing also .I tried to find an
>> answer to this and thought I had but IE was preventing the file
>> download ....I could hear the noise associated with the yellow bar
>> that appears but that was all...what then happened was that when I
>> manually entered a URL in the address bar IE shut down .
>>
>> Totally exasperated I reinstalled a new download of IE7 but that
>> didn't work either so revoked the restore point and I am now back with
>> IE8 which I suppose I'll have to live with.
>>
>> Any ideas how to get back to IE7?
>>
>> Another thing that annoys me is that if I choose Firefox as my Default
>> Browser IE drops the add-ons so WTF is that all about .

>System Restore is /not/ the way to uninstall Internet Explorer. Here is
>how to uninstall Internet Explorer:
>
>"How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?"
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>
>Now you're really up the creek, since you have conflicting versions of
>system files on your computer. You may well end up re-installing
>Windows, but first try this (no guarantee it will work):
>
>Restart your computer, install Internet Explorer 8, restart your
>computer twice, then try to remove Internet Explorer following the
>directions above. With luck, you will be returned to your pre-existing
>version of Internet Explorer.
>
>***
>
>You will continue to have trouble following newsgroups as long as you
>view them through a web interface. Newsgroups are meant to be read with
>a newsreader.
>
>---
>Leonard Grey
>Errare humanum est

I did not uninstall IE using System Restore . I updated to IE8 using
Windows Update after setting a restore point .It was later I revoked
that to get back to IE7 which didn't work .I am now using IE8 .Did you
actually read what I wrote ?

Where do you get the crazy notion that I am using a web interface to
follow Newsgroups if that comment is intended for me. ?

--
Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address
but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded .
Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

Re: IE7 Problems .
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup. And please quote this entire post when you reply
to it. Thanks.

> ...I decided to try IE8 so having set a Restore Point
> called Pre IE8 I installed it. I then decided I preferred IE7...
> ...so I went back to the Restore Point.

Did you uninstall IE8 per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700 or did you
use the "Pre IE8" Restore Point to remove IE8?

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
and/or uninstalled (assuming you did so) IE8?

Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?
~~ [Agent]

Stuart B wrote:
> I've been using IE 7 ( with Firefox as an alternative ) quite happily
> but a few days ago I decided to try IE8 so having set a Restore Point
> called Pre IE8 I installed it .I then decided I preferred IE7 ,one
> thing being that I get a lot of e-mails from Forums with links to
> topics I am watching and quite frequently IE8 did not open the page at
> first time of asking ( I noticed that the link in the address bar was
> partially greyed out...only the main part was in dark text) so I went
> back to the Restore Point. What happened then was that the part at the
> top of IE 7 with File/Edit/View etc and also the part immediately
> below that with Home.Print etc was missing also .I tried to find an
> answer to this and thought I had but IE was preventing the file
> download ....I could hear the noise associated with the yellow bar
> that appears but that was all...what then happened was that when I
> manually entered a URL in the address bar IE shut down .
>
> Totally exasperated I reinstalled a new download of IE7 but that
> didn't work either so revoked the restore point and I am now back with
> IE8 which I suppose I'll have to live with.
>
> Any ideas how to get back to IE7?
>
> Another thing that annoys me is that if I choose Firefox as my Default
> Browser IE drops the add-ons so WTF is that all about .

Stuart B

Re: IE7 Problems .
On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 18:29:31 -0400, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
>Stuart B wrote:
>> I've been using IE 7 ( with Firefox as an alternative ) quite happily
>> but a few days ago I decided to try IE8 so having set a Restore Point
>> called Pre IE8 I installed it .I then decided I preferred IE7 ,one
>> thing being that I get a lot of e-mails from Forums with links to
>> topics I am watching and quite frequently IE8 did not open the page at
>> first time of asking ( I noticed that the link in the address bar was
>> partially greyed out...only the main part was in dark text) so I went
>> back to the Restore Point. What happened then was that the part at the
>> top of IE 7 with File/Edit/View etc and also the part immediately
>> below that with Home.Print etc was missing also .I tried to find an
>> answer to this and thought I had but IE was preventing the file
>> download ....I could hear the noise associated with the yellow bar
>> that appears but that was all...what then happened was that when I
>> manually entered a URL in the address bar IE shut down .
>>
>> Totally exasperated I reinstalled a new download of IE7 but that
>> didn't work either so revoked the restore point and I am now back with
>> IE8 which I suppose I'll have to live with.
>>
>> Any ideas how to get back to IE7?
>>
>> Another thing that annoys me is that if I choose Firefox as my Default

>Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
>posting to this newsgroup. And please quote this entire post when you reply
>to it. Thanks.
>
>> ...I decided to try IE8 so having set a Restore Point
>> called Pre IE8 I installed it. I then decided I preferred IE7...
>> ...so I went back to the Restore Point.

>Did you uninstall IE8 per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700 or did you
>use the "Pre IE8" Restore Point to remove IE8?
>
>What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
>applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
>and/or uninstalled (assuming you did so) IE8?
>
>Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
>it)?
>~~ [Agent]
>~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002

Win XP:SP3
I used the Pre IE8 Restore Point to go back to where I was prior to
installing IE8 .
Avast AV is what I use and runs all the time ..
Adaware runs in background .
No 3rd Party Firewall
No Norton nor McAfee has ever been used .

I am now back to where I was after updating to IE8 ..If I can get used
to IE8 then that's where I'll stay but it would be interesting to hear
what might have gone wrong .

Stuart B wrote:
>>> I've been using IE 7 ( with Firefox as an alternative ) quite happily
>>> but a few days ago I decided to try IE8 so having set a Restore Point
>>> called Pre IE8 I installed it .I then decided I preferred IE7 ,one
>>> thing being that I get a lot of e-mails from Forums with links to
>>> topics I am watching and quite frequently IE8 did not open the page at
>>> first time of asking ( I noticed that the link in the address bar was
>>> partially greyed out...only the main part was in dark text) so I went
>>> back to the Restore Point. What happened then was that the part at the
>>> top of IE 7 with File/Edit/View etc and also the part immediately
>>> below that with Home.Print etc was missing also .I tried to find an
>>> answer to this and thought I had but IE was preventing the file
>>> download ....I could hear the noise associated with the yellow bar
>>> that appears but that was all...what then happened was that when I
>>> manually entered a URL in the address bar IE shut down .
>>>
>>> Totally exasperated I reinstalled a new download of IE7 but that
>>> didn't work either so revoked the restore point and I am now back with
>>> IE8 which I suppose I'll have to live with.
>>>
>>> Any ideas how to get back to IE7?
>>> <SNIP>

>> PA Bear wrote:
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
>> when posting to this newsgroup. And please quote this entire post when
>> you reply to it. Thanks.
>>
>>> ...I decided to try IE8 so having set a Restore Point
>>> called Pre IE8 I installed it. I then decided I preferred IE7...
>>> ...so I went back to the Restore Point.

>> Did you uninstall IE8 per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700 or did
>> you
>> use the "Pre IE8" Restore Point to remove IE8?
>>
>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
>> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>> installed
>> and/or uninstalled (assuming you did so) IE8?
>>
>> Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> bought
>> it)?
>> ~~ [Agent]
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

> Win XP:SP3
> I used the Pre IE8 Restore Point to go back to where I was prior to
> installing IE8 .
> Avast AV is what I use and runs all the time ..
> Adaware runs in background .
> No 3rd Party Firewall
> No Norton nor McAfee has ever been used .
>
> I am now back to where I was after updating to IE8 ..If I can get used
> to IE8 then that's where I'll stay but it would be interesting to hear
> what might have gone wrong .

While top-posting is the custom in this and all other MS newsgroups, I'll
continue bottom-posting to avoid even more confusion.

> I used the Pre IE8 Restore Point to go back to where I was prior to
> installing IE8.

That doesn't answer the question I asked. Repost: Did you (a) uninstall IE8
per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700 or did you (b) use the "Pre IE8"
Restore Point to remove IE8? [Pick one]

> Avast AV is what I use and runs all the time ..
> Adaware runs in background .

Avast and Ad-Aware's real-time protection component AD-Watch should have
been disabled prior to installing IE8 and prior to uninstalling IE8,
assuming you did the latter and did NOT use System Restore to "remove IE8."

Stuart B

Re: IE7 Problems .
On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 19:42:33 -0400, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> PA Bear wrote:
>>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
>>> when posting to this newsgroup. And please quote this entire post when
>>> you reply to it. Thanks.

>>> Did you uninstall IE8 per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700 or did
>>> you
>>> use the "Pre IE8" Restore Point to remove IE8?
>>>
>>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>>> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
>>> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>>> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>>> installed
>>> and/or uninstalled (assuming you did so) IE8?
>>>
>>> Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>>> machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
>>> bought
>>> it)?
>>> ~~ [Agent]
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>>

>> Win XP:SP3
>> I used the Pre IE8 Restore Point to go back to where I was prior to
>> installing IE8 .
>> Avast AV is what I use and runs all the time ..
>> Adaware runs in background .
>> No 3rd Party Firewall
>> No Norton nor McAfee has ever been used .
>>
>> I am now back to where I was after updating to IE8 ..If I can get used
>> to IE8 then that's where I'll stay but it would be interesting to hear
>> what might have gone wrong .

>While top-posting is the custom in this and all other MS newsgroups, I'll
>continue bottom-posting to avoid even more confusion.

Why should MS Newsgroups be different from all other Newsgroups ?

>> I used the Pre IE8 Restore Point to go back to where I was prior to
>> installing IE8.

>That doesn't answer the question I asked. Repost: Did you (a) uninstall IE8
>per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700 or did you (b) use the "Pre IE8"
>Restore Point to remove IE8? [Pick one]

Clearly you do not understand English .As I said The Restore point was
set prior to installing IE8 so when I wanted to go back to IE7 I went
back to that Restore Point which returned me to IE7 ,in the process
uninstalling IE8 .
Anyway before I get irritated any more just forget it .I'll live with
IE8 now that I have it back .

Stuart B wrote:

>>> Win XP:SP3
>>> I used the Pre IE8 Restore Point to go back to where I was prior to
>>> installing IE8 .
>>> Avast AV is what I use and runs all the time ..
>>> Adaware runs in background .
>>> No 3rd Party Firewall
>>> No Norton nor McAfee has ever been used .
>>>
>>> I am now back to where I was after updating to IE8 ..If I can get used
>>> to IE8 then that's where I'll stay but it would be interesting to hear
>>> what might have gone wrong .

>> While top-posting is the custom in this and all other MS newsgroups, I'll
>> continue bottom-posting to avoid even more confusion.
>>
>>> I used the Pre IE8 Restore Point to go back to where I was prior to
>>> installing IE8.

>> That doesn't answer the question I asked. Repost: Did you (a) uninstall
>> IE8 per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700 or did you (b) use the
>> "Pre
>> IE8" Restore Point to remove IE8? [Pick one]

> Why should MS Newsgroups be different from all other Newsgroups ?
>
> Clearly you do not understand English .As I said The Restore point was
> set prior to installing IE8 so when I wanted to go back to IE7 I went
> back to that Restore Point which returned me to IE7 ,in the process
> uninstalling IE8 .
> Anyway before I get irritated any more just forget it .I'll live with
> IE8 now that I have it back .

A1. The default newsreaders in all Windows OSS are hard-coded to top-post