IE8 Address Bar

CaPnKirk

IE8 Address Bar
Since upgrading to IE8 i can no longer just type in, for example, msn.com. I
have to type the whole URL address like, http://www.msn.com. How can I fix
that??

Re: IE8 Address Bar
Uninstall IE8?

IEBlog : IE8 Smart Address bar: What’s new:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...hat-s-new.aspx

IEBlog : The IE8 Smart Address Bar Part 1: Navigate Easier and Faster:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...nd-faster.aspx

IEBlog : The IE8 Smart Address Bar Part II: A Few More Features:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...-features.aspx

CaPnKirk wrote:
> Since upgrading to IE8 i can no longer just type in, for example, msn.com.
> I have to type the whole URL address like, http://www.msn.com. How can I
> fix that??

Don Varnau

Re: IE8 Address Bar
Hi,
In Internet Options> General> Languages, if "Do not add 'www' to the
beginning of typed web addresses" is checked, uncheck it.
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"CaPnKirk" <CaPnKirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since upgrading to IE8 i can no longer just type in, for example, msn.com.

> have to type the whole URL address like, http://www.msn.com. How can I

fix
> that??

Singapore Computer Service

Re: IE8 Address Bar
Hello,

Works here if I type MSN.COM and hit ENTER. Try the below.

** Solution 1 **
Try running IE8 with add-ons disabled. First ensure that all instances of
IEXPLORE.EXE are ended in Task Manager (press Ctrl+Shift+Esc on your
keyboard, processes tab, end process all IEXPLORE.EXE).

Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No
Add-ons) to start IE8 without any add-ons. Try using the browser and see if
it works now.

If it is works now, start IE8 normally, go to Tools (if the menu bar
does not appear, hit the Alt key on the keyboard) > Manage Add-ons. Here,
disable all the add-ons you don't need under 'Currently Loaded'

** Solution 2 **
In addition to the above, you can try disabling IE8's memory protection and
see if it helps. Start > Control Panel > Internet Options > Advanced > under
'Security', uncheck 'Enable memory protection to help mitigate online
attacks' > OK

** Otherwise **
Otherwise you can use the free Microsoft Phone Support for IE8 (see under
'for consumers')
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...t/call-us.aspx

quote:
Free phone support for Internet Explorer 8 is limited to installation,
set-up and usage only. Advanced issues are not supported. Advanced issues
include problems that are associated with software and hardware development,
network connectivity, server-based technologies, and business-critical
systems.

Regards,
Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
"CaPnKirk" <CaPnKirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since upgrading to IE8 i can no longer just type in, for example, msn.com.
> have to type the whole URL address like, http://www.msn.com. How can I
> fix
> that??

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE8 Address Bar

"CaPnKirk" <CaPnKirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6E12C487-C7B1-43AD-9371-499C81BD4C40@microsoft.com...
> Since upgrading to IE8 i can no longer just type in, for example, msn.com. I
> have to type the whole URL address like, http://www.msn.com. How can I fix
> that??

You certainly don't have to type a "whole URL address" for something that
you have previously visited or is in your Favorites list.

What do you see when start typing? E.g. is it matching something
from your History or Favorites? If so you may be able to press Alt-Enter
instead to choose that immediately; otherwise press Tab or cursor to
one of the AutoSuggest items your typing may be generating.

---

CaPnKirk

Re: IE8 Address Bar
Thank you. Your answer sounds most logical. I don't think anyone else even
knew what I was talking about. I am away on my laptop for a week so I won't
be able to check it out.

Thanks