keep receiving an error message in the IE8 information bar

roler2

keep receiving an error message in the IE8 information bar
My question has to do with IE8. I keep getting a message in the information
bar when I click on certain web sites. The message states the following:

"An add-on for this website failed to run. Check the security settings in
Internet options for potential conflicts"

What is it exactly I check and how do I fix the problem?? Also when I check
out my security settings the custom level, default level and reset all
settings to default level are all greyed out. Is there any way to fix this
problem utilizing group policy?

The web page displays fine and I don't see any conflicts. Apparently the
problem has to do with an ActiveX control but I don't know how to fix the
problem.

The message does not appear all the time just on certain web sites.

Thank you for any help!!

Don Varnau

Re: keep receiving an error message in the IE8 information bar
Hi,

1. Sorry, but have to ask... is this a work computer with Group Policies in
place?
2. Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- SP1, SP2, etc.)
3. If you type gpedit.msc into Start> Run does Policy Editor open?
4. What third-party security programs are installed?
5. Did the issue/behavior start after a third-party security program was
installed or updated?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"roler2" <roler2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My question has to do with IE8. I keep getting a message in the

information
> bar when I click on certain web sites. The message states the following:
>
> "An add-on for this website failed to run. Check the security settings in
> Internet options for potential conflicts"
>
> What is it exactly I check and how do I fix the problem?? Also when I

check
> out my security settings the custom level, default level and reset all
> settings to default level are all greyed out. Is there any way to fix this
> problem utilizing group policy?
>
> The web page displays fine and I don't see any conflicts. Apparently the
> problem has to do with an ActiveX control but I don't know how to fix the
> problem.
>
> The message does not appear all the time just on certain web sites.
>
> Thank you for any help!!

Singapore Computer Service

Re: keep receiving an error message in the IE8 information bar
Hello,

The buttons are disabled when the zones are all reset to default already.

Which website causes the problem?

To view loaded ActiveX controls IE > (go to site) > Tools > Manage Add-ons.
Disable the ones you don't need and see if the problem occurs.

Regards,
Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
"roler2" <roler2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My question has to do with IE8. I keep getting a message in the
> information
> bar when I click on certain web sites. The message states the following:
>
> "An add-on for this website failed to run. Check the security settings in
> Internet options for potential conflicts"
>
> What is it exactly I check and how do I fix the problem?? Also when I
> check
> out my security settings the custom level, default level and reset all
> settings to default level are all greyed out. Is there any way to fix this
> problem utilizing group policy?
>
> The web page displays fine and I don't see any conflicts. Apparently the
> problem has to do with an ActiveX control but I don't know how to fix the
> problem.
>
> The message does not appear all the time just on certain web sites.
>
> Thank you for any help!!

roler2

Re: keep receiving an error message in the IE8 information bar
Hi Don-

I have have a home computer with gpedit installed and yes it opens when I
open it from the run box gpedit.msc.

I have had this problem ever since I installed the OS Windows XP SP3

I do not have any type of additional security features installed except for
antivirus and Windows Defender.

The only ad-ons are flash and java and both are enabled

Why does Microsoft but a message in the information bar in which apparently
the problem cannot be resolved?

I still do not have a solution or a fix for this problem.

the message occurs on several different web sites not just one.

I have dial-up.

Kind Regards,

Rick

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1. Sorry, but have to ask... is this a work computer with Group Policies in
> place?
> 2. Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- SP1, SP2, etc.)
> 3. If you type gpedit.msc into Start> Run does Policy Editor open?
> 4. What third-party security programs are installed?
> 5. Did the issue/behavior start after a third-party security program was
> installed or updated?
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "roler2" <roler2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My question has to do with IE8. I keep getting a message in the

> information
> > bar when I click on certain web sites. The message states the following:
> >
> > "An add-on for this website failed to run. Check the security settings in
> > Internet options for potential conflicts"
> >
> > What is it exactly I check and how do I fix the problem?? Also when I

> check
> > out my security settings the custom level, default level and reset all
> > settings to default level are all greyed out. Is there any way to fix this
> > problem utilizing group policy?
> >
> > The web page displays fine and I don't see any conflicts. Apparently the
> > problem has to do with an ActiveX control but I don't know how to fix the
> > problem.
> >
> > The message does not appear all the time just on certain web sites.
> >
> > Thank you for any help!!

roler2

Re: keep receiving an error message in the IE8 information bar
There are several web sites in which the error message appears. It even
appeared on a Microsoft web site. The error message isn't limited to one web
site. The message pops up all the time.

Is there a way to disable the information bar?

"Singapore Computer Service" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The buttons are disabled when the zones are all reset to default already.
>
> Which website causes the problem?
>
> To view loaded ActiveX controls IE > (go to site) > Tools > Manage Add-ons.
> Disable the ones you don't need and see if the problem occurs.
>
> Regards,
> Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
> http://www.bootstrike.com/ComputerService/
> Video Conversion VHS Video8 Hi8 Digital8 MiniDv MicroMv
> http://www.bootstrike.com/VHSVideoConvert/
> "roler2" <roler2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My question has to do with IE8. I keep getting a message in the
> > information
> > bar when I click on certain web sites. The message states the following:
> >
> > "An add-on for this website failed to run. Check the security settings in
> > Internet options for potential conflicts"
> >
> > What is it exactly I check and how do I fix the problem?? Also when I
> > check
> > out my security settings the custom level, default level and reset all
> > settings to default level are all greyed out. Is there any way to fix this
> > problem utilizing group policy?
> >
> > The web page displays fine and I don't see any conflicts. Apparently the
> > problem has to do with an ActiveX control but I don't know how to fix the
> > problem.
> >
> > The message does not appear all the time just on certain web sites.
> >
> > Thank you for any help!!

Don Varnau

Re: keep receiving an error message in the IE8 information bar
Hi,
Step 1...
With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons, work
through this article:
936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us

Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all stored login
data:
IE PassView- NirSoft:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/interne..._password.html

What a reset of IE settings will do:
Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fe1771033.mspx

2...
After the reset, try placing one or more of the troublesome sites in trusted
sites. See if the issue resolves.

3...
Just a guess... try uninstalling/reinstalling Flash.
Use the uninstaller at
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled...fm?id=tn_14157
Flash player download:
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

newsA394EC4-86E0-40C4-B953-768D9FC85C15@microsoft.com...
> Hi Don-
>
> I have have a home computer with gpedit installed and yes it opens when I
> open it from the run box gpedit.msc.
>
> I have had this problem ever since I installed the OS Windows XP SP3
>
> I do not have any type of additional security features installed except

for
> antivirus and Windows Defender.
>
> The only ad-ons are flash and java and both are enabled
>
> Why does Microsoft but a message in the information bar in which

apparently
> the problem cannot be resolved?
>
> I still do not have a solution or a fix for this problem.
>
> the message occurs on several different web sites not just one.
>
> I have dial-up.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Rick

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > 1. Sorry, but have to ask... is this a work computer with Group Policies

in
> > place?
> > 2. Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- SP1, SP2, etc.)
> > 3. If you type gpedit.msc into Start> Run does Policy Editor open?
> > 4. What third-party security programs are installed?
> > 5. Did the issue/behavior start after a third-party security program was
> > installed or updated?

> > "roler2" <roler2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > My question has to do with IE8. I keep getting a message in the

> > information
> > > bar when I click on certain web sites. The message states the

following:

> > > "An add-on for this website failed to run. Check the security settings

in
> > > Internet options for potential conflicts"
> > >
> > > What is it exactly I check and how do I fix the problem?? Also when I

> > check
> > > out my security settings the custom level, default level and reset all
> > > settings to default level are all greyed out. Is there any way to fix

this
> > > problem utilizing group policy?
> > >
> > > The web page displays fine and I don't see any conflicts. Apparently

the
> > > problem has to do with an ActiveX control but I don't know how to fix

the
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > The message does not appear all the time just on certain web sites.
> > >
> > > Thank you for any help!!

roler2

Re: keep receiving an error message in the IE8 information bar
Hi Don-

I have IE8 not IE7. I don't have any trouble with passwords or auto complete
data. The error never appeared with IE7.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled flash to no avail.

I cannot change any of the settings because everything is greyed out and I
cannot add sites as it is greyed out. Anyway if I did that I would be adding
sites all day long as the message comes up in at least 75% of the web sites.

I have XP not Vista.

why does microsoft put messages in the information bar when microsoft can't
even fix the issue? I have written to them but to no avail. I have also
written to yahoo to no avail. I also sent a screenshot to yahoo and to
microsoft both with no fix and no response either.

Would you like me to send you the screenshot?

Also the web pages display fine. I find no errors on the web pages at all.

maybe it is just a glitch?

or maybe it is my antivirus or windows defender?????

thank you for any help you can give me. I appreciate your trying but it
seems like I will have to put up with the continuous message.

I also tried shutting off the information bar but it doesn't go away!

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Step 1...
> With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
> passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons, work
> through this article:
> 936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
>
> Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all stored login
> data:
> IE PassView- NirSoft:
> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/interne..._password.html
>
> What a reset of IE settings will do:
> Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fe1771033.mspx
>
> 2...
> After the reset, try placing one or more of the troublesome sites in trusted
> sites. See if the issue resolves.
>
> 3...
> Just a guess... try uninstalling/reinstalling Flash.
> Use the uninstaller at
> http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled...fm?id=tn_14157
> Flash player download:
> http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "roler2" <roler2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsA394EC4-86E0-40C4-B953-768D9FC85C15@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Don-
> >
> > I have have a home computer with gpedit installed and yes it opens when I
> > open it from the run box gpedit.msc.
> >
> > I have had this problem ever since I installed the OS Windows XP SP3
> >
> > I do not have any type of additional security features installed except

> for
> > antivirus and Windows Defender.
> >
> > The only ad-ons are flash and java and both are enabled
> >
> > Why does Microsoft but a message in the information bar in which

> apparently
> > the problem cannot be resolved?
> >
> > I still do not have a solution or a fix for this problem.
> >
> > the message occurs on several different web sites not just one.
> >
> > I have dial-up.
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> >
> > Rick

> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > 1. Sorry, but have to ask... is this a work computer with Group Policies

> in
> > > place?
> > > 2. Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- SP1, SP2, etc.)
> > > 3. If you type gpedit.msc into Start> Run does Policy Editor open?
> > > 4. What third-party security programs are installed?
> > > 5. Did the issue/behavior start after a third-party security program was
> > > installed or updated?

> > > "roler2" <roler2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > information

> following:

> in

> > > check

> this

> the

> the

roler2

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Step 1...
> With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
> passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons, work
> through this article:
> 936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
>
> Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all stored login
> data:
> IE PassView- NirSoft:
> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/interne..._password.html
>
> What a reset of IE settings will do:
> Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fe1771033.mspx
>
> 2...
> After the reset, try placing one or more of the troublesome sites in trusted
> sites. See if the issue resolves.
>
> 3...
> Just a guess... try uninstalling/reinstalling Flash.
> Use the uninstaller at
> http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled...fm?id=tn_14157
> Flash player download:
> http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "roler2" <roler2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsA394EC4-86E0-40C4-B953-768D9FC85C15@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Don-
> >
> > I have have a home computer with gpedit installed and yes it opens when I
> > open it from the run box gpedit.msc.
> >
> > I have had this problem ever since I installed the OS Windows XP SP3
> >
> > I do not have any type of additional security features installed except

> for
> > antivirus and Windows Defender.
> >
> > The only ad-ons are flash and java and both are enabled
> >
> > Why does Microsoft but a message in the information bar in which

> apparently
> > the problem cannot be resolved?
> >
> > I still do not have a solution or a fix for this problem.
> >
> > the message occurs on several different web sites not just one.
> >
> > I have dial-up.
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> >
> > Rick

> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > 1. Sorry, but have to ask... is this a work computer with Group Policies

> in
> > > place?
> > > 2. Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- SP1, SP2, etc.)
> > > 3. If you type gpedit.msc into Start> Run does Policy Editor open?
> > > 4. What third-party security programs are installed?
> > > 5. Did the issue/behavior start after a third-party security program was
> > > installed or updated?

> > > "roler2" <roler2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > information

> following:

> in

> > > check

> this

> the

> the

Charles W Davis

Re: keep receiving an error message in the IE8 information bar
If you haven't yet installed the Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage
program, give it a try.
"roler2" <roler2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsA394EC4-86E0-40C4-B953-768D9FC85C15@microsoft.com...
> Hi Don-
>
> I have have a home computer with gpedit installed and yes it opens when I
> open it from the run box gpedit.msc.
>
> I have had this problem ever since I installed the OS Windows XP SP3
>
> I do not have any type of additional security features installed except
> for
> antivirus and Windows Defender.
>
> The only ad-ons are flash and java and both are enabled
>
> Why does Microsoft but a message in the information bar in which
> apparently
> the problem cannot be resolved?
>
> I still do not have a solution or a fix for this problem.
>
> the message occurs on several different web sites not just one.
>
> I have dial-up.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Rick
>
> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> 1. Sorry, but have to ask... is this a work computer with Group Policies
>> in
>> place?
>> 2. Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- SP1, SP2, etc.)
>> 3. If you type gpedit.msc into Start> Run does Policy Editor open?
>> 4. What third-party security programs are installed?
>> 5. Did the issue/behavior start after a third-party security program was
>> installed or updated?
>>
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]
>>
>> "roler2" <roler2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My question has to do with IE8. I keep getting a message in the

>> information
>> > bar when I click on certain web sites. The message states the
>> > following:
>> >
>> > "An add-on for this website failed to run. Check the security settings
>> > in
>> > Internet options for potential conflicts"
>> >
>> > What is it exactly I check and how do I fix the problem?? Also when I

>> check
>> > out my security settings the custom level, default level and reset all
>> > settings to default level are all greyed out. Is there any way to fix
>> > this
>> > problem utilizing group policy?
>> >
>> > The web page displays fine and I don't see any conflicts. Apparently
>> > the
>> > problem has to do with an ActiveX control but I don't know how to fix
>> > the
>> > problem.
>> >
>> > The message does not appear all the time just on certain web sites.
>> >
>> > Thank you for any help!!

Don Varnau

Re: keep receiving an error message in the IE8 information bar
Hi,
A third-party security/antivirus program may be conflicting with XP SP3.
Which ones are installed? Are the security options available to you after
starting up in Safe Mode with Networking? Third-party security programs
should be disabled in that mode.

Or, you might try (very briefly since security programs will not be running)
connecting to one of the affected sites in Safe Mode with Networking. If the
issue resolves, a program which didn't load in Safe Mode is the culprit.