Renaming the JPG I'm viewing kills IE6.

Jim Luedke

Renaming the JPG I'm viewing kills IE6.
IE is my default app for JPEGs.

If I rename a JPG while viewing it in IE 6.0.2800.1106IC, it kills
that instance of IE.

It goes without saying that if an app doesn't want you to muck with a
file, then let it lock it against renaming--as of course Firefox does--
not exhibit all the symptoms of a memory leak.

How fix?

Thanks much.

***
Leonard Grey

Re: Renaming the JPG I'm viewing kills IE6.
Why are you using a web browser as your default jpeg viewer? Most people
use an image viewer - like Windows Picture and Fax Viewer - or an image
editor.

There may be applications that run under Windows that allow you to
change the name of an open file, but I am not aware of any. The
limitation is imposed by the operating system.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Jim Luedke wrote:
> IE is my default app for JPEGs.
>
> If I rename a JPG while viewing it in IE 6.0.2800.1106IC, it kills
> that instance of IE.
>
> It goes without saying that if an app doesn't want you to muck with a
> file, then let it lock it against renaming--as of course Firefox does--
> not exhibit all the symptoms of a memory leak.
>
> How fix?
>
> Thanks much.
>
> ***

Jim Luedke

Re: Renaming the JPG I'm viewing kills IE6.
Mr. Grey:

Thanks much for reply.

***

But anyone know the answer to my Q?

***

Luuk

Jim Luedke schreef:
> IE is my default app for JPEGs.
>
> If I rename a JPG while viewing it in IE 6.0.2800.1106IC, it kills
> that instance of IE.
>
> It goes without saying that if an app doesn't want you to muck with a
> file, then let it lock it against renaming--as of course Firefox does--
> not exhibit all the symptoms of a memory leak.
>
> How fix?
>
> Thanks much.
>
> ***

i would be surpired if ANY browser would lock a file that its viewing....

so, if FireFox does that, it SUCKS (because that would mean no 2 people
can view the same file at the same time.....

--
Luuk

Re: Renaming the JPG I'm viewing kills IE6.
> How fix?

Close IE then rename the file.

[Could you change a flat tire while driving the car without the car crashing
to a halt?]

Jim Luedke wrote:
> IE is my default app for JPEGs.
>
> If I rename a JPG while viewing it in IE 6.0.2800.1106IC, it kills
> that instance of IE.
>
> It goes without saying that if an app doesn't want you to muck with a
> file, then let it lock it against renaming--as of course Firefox does--
> not exhibit all the symptoms of a memory leak.
>
> How fix?

Tom Willett

Re: Renaming the JPG I'm viewing kills IE6.
Close your browser, then rename the file, and reopen the browser. That's how
it is supposed to work.

:
: If I rename a JPG while viewing it in IE 6.0.2800.1106IC, it kills
: that instance of IE.
:
: It goes without saying that if an app doesn't want you to muck with a
: file, then let it lock it against renaming--as of course Firefox does--
: not exhibit all the symptoms of a memory leak.
:
: How fix?
:
: Thanks much.
:
: ***

Jim Luedke

Re: Renaming the JPG I'm viewing kills IE6.
Luuk, PA Bear, Tom:

Thanks much all, for replies.

Points:

1. I believe I misspoke when I said Firefox locks a JPEG you're
viewing. What it does do is lock the folder it's in. Whether that is
kosher or not, what happens is that *after* you exit the file, if FF
remains in memory with a blank screen, the stupid thing still holds a
lock on that folder (so you can't, say, rename the folder). I hope
newer versions have fixed that, but I fear for the truth there.

I should also have said: If an app opens a file for read-write (like a
word processor), then it's within its rights to lock a file. But I do
agree whole-heartedly with Luuk that if an app locks you out (as FF
does) merely when viewing a file (which furthermore it's incapable of
changing), then it was designed by Cretins.

2. The opinion that I am in the wrong by not first exiting IE then
renaming the file is beside the point. Any app that kills itself when
the user does anything *outside* its interface, for God's sake, is
misbehaving.

Just as in the retail world the customer is always right, on a PC the
user is always right. A suggestion that my mere *capability* of doing
an end-run around an app puts me in the wrong is specious. An app
should be unbreakable.

The average Windows PC user must know thousands of technical details
and vagaries about Windows and its apps merely to use the computer,
and here's another.

The proper behavior for IE is: leave whatever it's viewing in memory,
*period*.

If the image is gone when the user tries to do something with it--
refresh or whatever--*then* tell him it can no longer be found.

Instead we get: Poof. IE go bye-bye. What a joke.

***

Does anyone know: has this behavior been fixed in IE7 or IE8?

***

Thanks all again.

***
Luuk

Jim Luedke schreef:
> Luuk, PA Bear, Tom:
>
> Thanks much all, for replies.
>
> Points:
>
> 1. I believe I misspoke when I said Firefox locks a JPEG you're
> viewing. What it does do is lock the folder it's in. Whether that is
> kosher or not, what happens is that *after* you exit the file, if FF
> remains in memory with a blank screen, the stupid thing still holds a
> lock on that folder (so you can't, say, rename the folder). I hope
> newer versions have fixed that, but I fear for the truth there.

I think, if this is true, than you should file a bugreport wth FireFox,
and please state the version number you're using....

> I should also have said: If an app opens a file for read-write (like a
> word processor), then it's within its rights to lock a file. But I do
> agree whole-heartedly with Luuk that if an app locks you out (as FF
> does) merely when viewing a file (which furthermore it's incapable of
> changing), then it was designed by Cretins.

Sorry, it might be dus to my English, but who/what is Cretins?

> The proper behavior for IE is: leave whatever it's viewing in memory,
> *period*.
>
> If the image is gone when the user tries to do something with it--
> refresh or whatever--*then* tell him it can no longer be found.
>
> Instead we get: Poof. IE go bye-bye. What a joke.

File a bugreport and please state the version (IE6)

> Does anyone know: has this behavior been fixed in IE7 or IE8?

As IE6 is very old, and probably the version of FireFox you are using
too, i suggest you do some updates.....

I tested with IE8/ Firefox3.5.1 / Opera9.64 / Chrome2.0.172.37
and i was not able to reproduce this in any of these browsers...

--
Luuk