Internet Protected Mode?

ColTom2

Internet Protected Mode?
Hi:

I have the "Enable Protective Mode" ticked in the Internet Security
Properties screen; however, in IE8 ver 8.0.6001.18783 down in the Status Bar
it indicates Internet Protective Mode Off. I have reset it and rebooted, but
it still indicates Protective Mode is off even though I have it checked to
Enable it.

If I untick it and restart IE8 I get an alert notice to turn in on which I
do, but it still indicates Protective Mode Off in IE8 Status Bar.

Running Windows Vista Business SP2 on Dell laptop.

Thanks,

ColTom2

Don Varnau

Re: Internet Protected Mode?
Hi,
Is Vista's UAC (User Account Control) on? Check that from Control Panel>
User Accounts. If UAC is not on, Protected Mode in IE cannot be enabled,
even though the checkbox remains checked.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> I have the "Enable Protective Mode" ticked in the Internet Security
> Properties screen; however, in IE8 ver 8.0.6001.18783 down in the Status

Bar
> it indicates Internet Protective Mode Off. I have reset it and rebooted,

but
> it still indicates Protective Mode is off even though I have it checked to
> Enable it.
>
> If I untick it and restart IE8 I get an alert notice to turn in on which

> do, but it still indicates Protective Mode Off in IE8 Status Bar.
>
> Running Windows Vista Business SP2 on Dell laptop.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ColTom2

ColTom2

Re: Internet Protected Mode?
Hi Don;

Thanks so much as you answered my question. I have the Windows Security
ticked not to display Security Alert with UAC turned off.

Got tired of all those annoying pop ups each time that you clicked on
about anything.

ColTom2

Hi,
Is Vista's UAC (User Account Control) on? Check that from Control Panel>
User Accounts. If UAC is not on, Protected Mode in IE cannot be enabled,
even though the checkbox remains checked.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> I have the "Enable Protective Mode" ticked in the Internet Security
> Properties screen; however, in IE8 ver 8.0.6001.18783 down in the Status

Bar
> it indicates Internet Protective Mode Off. I have reset it and rebooted,

but
> it still indicates Protective Mode is off even though I have it checked to
> Enable it.
>
> If I untick it and restart IE8 I get an alert notice to turn in on which

> do, but it still indicates Protective Mode Off in IE8 Status Bar.
>
> Running Windows Vista Business SP2 on Dell laptop.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ColTom2

Don Varnau

Re: Internet Protected Mode?
You're welcome.
-

> Hi Don;
>
> Thanks so much as you answered my question. I have the Windows Security
> ticked not to display Security Alert with UAC turned off.
>
> Got tired of all those annoying pop ups each time that you clicked on
> about anything.
>
> ColTom2

> Hi,
> Is Vista's UAC (User Account Control) on? Check that from Control Panel>
> User Accounts. If UAC is not on, Protected Mode in IE cannot be enabled,
> even though the checkbox remains checked.
>
> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi:
> >
> > I have the "Enable Protective Mode" ticked in the Internet Security
> > Properties screen; however, in IE8 ver 8.0.6001.18783 down in the Status

> Bar
> > it indicates Internet Protective Mode Off. I have reset it and rebooted,

> but
> > it still indicates Protective Mode is off even though I have it checked

> > Enable it.
> >
> > If I untick it and restart IE8 I get an alert notice to turn in on

which
> > do, but it still indicates Protective Mode Off in IE8 Status Bar.
> >
> > Running Windows Vista Business SP2 on Dell laptop.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > ColTom2

NovHak

Re: Internet Protected Mode?
You fool ! UAC and integrity levels are among the best improvements with
Windows Vista. But well, that's probably why users don't like it. And it's
too bad that so many application developers still develop as if they were on
Win 98, and even incriminate UAC for their dirty programming habits.