Where are the settings for how a file should open

jobla

Where are the settings for how a file should open
I just can't find this when searching on the net or groups even though
it ought to be easy to find, so I have to ask.

I need to change the setting for how internet explorer should behave
when downloading a wmv file.

Today it works like this:

I click on a wmv file on a website. Media player opens directly, opens
the file, buffers and start to play immediately.

Unfortunately this doesn’t work at all when opening a file from a
https site. Media player fails to open the file. It seems to lack the
possibility to handle https ( that issue I’ll ask in the media player
forum)

What I want:

When I click the file, the file downloads completely the opens in
media player. I was able to change this setting in firefox so it has
to be possible in internet explorer as well.. but where?

It does not seem to be under “Tools/Folder Options/File Types/
Advanced”
Bernd

Re: Where are the settings for how a file should open

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> I just can't find this when searching on the net or groups even though
> it ought to be easy to find, so I have to ask.
>
> I need to change the setting for how internet explorer should behave
> when downloading a wmv file.
>
> Today it works like this:
>
> I click on a wmv file on a website. Media player opens directly, opens
> the file, buffers and start to play immediately.
>
> Unfortunately this doesn’t work at all when opening a file from a
> https site. Media player fails to open the file. It seems to lack the
> possibility to handle https ( that issue I’ll ask in the media player
> forum)
>
> What I want:
>
> When I click the file, the file downloads completely the opens in
> media player. I was able to change this setting in firefox so it has
> to be possible in internet explorer as well.. but where?
>
> It does not seem to be under “Tools/Folder Options/File Types/
> Advanced”

Deactivate your mediaplayer addon in IE Tools/Manage Addons/All Addons

Bernd
jobla

Re: Where are the settings for how a file should open
Thanks, Found the setting

there are two microsoft media player plugins and I inactivated both.
It doesn't solve the problem.