ie7/ie8 "Connecting..."

Anonymous User

ie7/ie8 "Connecting..."
Hi,

I'm about ready to give up on IE7/8 all together. No matter what I try, it
always has the same problem. You try to browse a site and you stare at
"Connecting..." forever. Load up Firefox and it snaps the page right up. I
tried doing this which I found in this newsgroup:

regsvr32 actxprxy.dll

Which does seem to fix it at that moment, or so I think, but later on it
will be right back to the problem. I've tried disabling all the addons,
still does the same thing. I originally went from ie6 to ie8 so I thought I
would try ie7 and it also does the same thing. So now I am back to ie6.

Any idea what is causing this?

Thanks,

Alan

Leonard Grey

Re: ie7/ie8 "Connecting..."
Incompatible add-ons and/or incorrect configuration settings are usually
the cause, and they cause the same problems for Firefox.

This fixes virtually all problems of that nature:

"How to reset Internet Explorer settings"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

How exactly did you "try ie7" once you had IE 8 installed? If you used
System Restore, or in any other way did not follow these directions:

"How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

then you may have put yourself in a position where you will need to
reinstall Windows.

Removing IE 8 by following the directions above automatically returns
you to your pre-existing version of IE, which in your case appears to be
IE 6. Once back at IE 6, you would have upgraded your operating system
to IE 7.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Anonymous User wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm about ready to give up on IE7/8 all together. No matter what I try, it
> always has the same problem. You try to browse a site and you stare at
> "Connecting..." forever. Load up Firefox and it snaps the page right up. I
> tried doing this which I found in this newsgroup:
>
> regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
>
> Which does seem to fix it at that moment, or so I think, but later on it
> will be right back to the problem. I've tried disabling all the addons,
> still does the same thing. I originally went from ie6 to ie8 so I thought I
> would try ie7 and it also does the same thing. So now I am back to ie6.
>
> Any idea what is causing this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan

Anonymous User

Re: ie7/ie8 "Connecting..."
Hi Leonard,

First, thanks for the help.

> Incompatible add-ons and/or incorrect configuration settings are usually
> the cause, and they cause the same problems for Firefox.

So far, only IE7/IE8 have the problem. I really don't like FireFox, but
I've been in the habit of loading it alongside IE to try to troubleshoot
this issue.

> This fixes virtually all problems of that nature:
> "How to reset Internet Explorer settings"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Will check it out.

> How exactly did you "try ie7" once you had IE 8 installed? If you used
> System Restore, or in any other way did not follow these directions:
> "How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
> then you may have put yourself in a position where you will need to
> reinstall Windows.

I have a master image of the OS that I can restore with True Image. To try
IE7, I uninstalled IE8 returning me to IE6 and then installed IE7. It did
exactly the same thing that IE8 does, but IE6 does not...

Thanks,

Alan

Singapore Computer Service

Re: ie7/ie8 "Connecting..."
Hello,

Try disabling IE8's memory protection and see if it helps.
Start > Control Panel > Internet Options > Advanced > under
'Security', uncheck 'Enable memory protection to help mitigate online
attacks' > OK

Otherwise you can use the free Microsoft Phone Support for IE8 (see under
'for consumers')
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...t/call-us.aspx

quote:
Free phone support for Internet Explorer 8 is limited to installation,
set-up and usage only. Advanced issues are not supported. Advanced issues
include problems that are associated with software and hardware development,
network connectivity, server-based technologies, and business-critical
systems.

Regards,
Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
"Anonymous User" <nospam38925@forme.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm about ready to give up on IE7/8 all together. No matter what I try,
> it always has the same problem. You try to browse a site and you stare at
> "Connecting..." forever. Load up Firefox and it snaps the page right up.
> I tried doing this which I found in this newsgroup:
>
> regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
>
> Which does seem to fix it at that moment, or so I think, but later on it
> will be right back to the problem. I've tried disabling all the addons,
> still does the same thing. I originally went from ie6 to ie8 so I thought
> I would try ie7 and it also does the same thing. So now I am back to ie6.
>
> Any idea what is causing this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan

hawkbut

Re: ie7/ie8 "Connecting..."
I have the same problem. Every time that I start IE 8 after booting my
machine, it freezes on the "Connecting.." message. Then I have to kill it and
restart it to connect. This only happens with the first instance of IE8 that
I start after bootup. I have tried using different home pages without success.

The answer "reset Internet Explorer settings" is not a solution at all. This
means that I would have to reset my settings then modify my custom settings,
every time that I boot! It looks like Microsoft didn't do enough pre-release
testing to have such a basic flaw in the code.