Live Mail defaults boolean for leave copy of mail to false regardl

spooky1966@hotmail.com

Live Mail defaults boolean for leave copy of mail to false regardl
Recently, I have upgraded to Microsoft IE 8 and may have discovered an
interseting problem.

When installing Live Mail, the system may default the boolean for "Leave a
copy of message on server." to FALSE regardless of its original setting.. I
run a copy of this in two locations keeping my secondary location's flag to
TRUE and my laptop to FALSE. Over the weekend I noticed that I had little
email activity. This morning I drove out to my secondary location and found
my LIVE mail client open and my flag FALSE. Prior to the upgrade from the
Beta to the RC version of IE 8 it had been verified to be set to TRUE.

For what its worth.

Re: Live Mail defaults boolean for leave copy of mail to false regardl
I'd very much doubt installing IE8 has anything to do with this.

spooky1966@hotmail.com wrote:
> Recently, I have upgraded to Microsoft IE 8 and may have discovered an
> interseting problem.
>
> When installing Live Mail, the system may default the boolean for "Leave a
> copy of message on server." to FALSE regardless of its original setting..
> I run a copy of this in two locations keeping my secondary location's flag
> to TRUE and my laptop to FALSE. Over the weekend I noticed that I had
> little email activity. This morning I drove out to my secondary location
> and found my LIVE mail client open and my flag FALSE. Prior to the
> upgrade from the Beta to the RC version of IE 8 it had been verified to be
> set to TRUE.
>
> For what its worth.

VanguardLH

Re: Live Mail defaults boolean for leave copy of mail to false regardl
spooky1966@hotmail.com wrote:

> Recently, I have upgraded to Microsoft IE 8 and may have discovered an
> interseting problem.
>
> When installing Live Mail, the system may default the boolean for "Leave a
> copy of message on server." to FALSE regardless of its original setting.. I
> run a copy of this in two locations keeping my secondary location's flag to
> TRUE and my laptop to FALSE. Over the weekend I noticed that I had little
> email activity. This morning I drove out to my secondary location and found
> my LIVE mail client open and my flag FALSE. Prior to the upgrade from the
> Beta to the RC version of IE 8 it had been verified to be set to TRUE.
>
> For what its worth.

You installed Windows Live Mail (WLM). You say it defaults to "leave
messages on server." You then say this gets set regardless of its
original setting. If you just installed WLM, how could it have an
original setting to then change to a different value as the default?
Before you install WLM, where are these "original" settings coming from?

You were not at your secondary location but upon arrival you found WLM
was running? So you ignore common security measures and leave your
secondary host logged on even when you aren't going to be there?
Perhaps you should consider logging off your secondary host when you
leave it unattended. If you left your Windows session running (i.e.,
you left it logged on), do you enable a password-protected screen saver
to prevent just anyone from walking up and using your computer? Do you
immediately lock your workstation when you leave it so as to close the
window of opportunity between when you walk away from your computer to
when the screen saver activates? How strong is your login password?

To find WLM had been left open also means that your Windows session was
still active. Do you actually leave your secondary host logged on when
you leave it? If so, do you leave WLM running all the time while you
are logged in? Either you need to improve on security procedures on
that host or start considering how someone might be hacking into your
host. From your post, it sounds like you were surprised to find WLM was
"open" (which could mean merely loaded or that a window was left open).
If that was a surprise then it would appear someone is using your host.
It also means you are leaving your host wide open for someone else to
use or they figured out how to get in. Did you contact your IT folks to
see if they had been doing any maintenance (since they may have an admin
loging to the company's hosts)?

Did you enable RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) service or leave running
any other remote access software on your host? If so, who else might be
logging into your host?
Singapore Computer Service

Re: Live Mail defaults boolean for leave copy of mail to false regardl
Hello,

You may want to ask in the Live Mail Desktop forum instead. Here's the link
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...mail .desktop

Regards,
Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
"spooky1966@hotmail.com" <spooky1966@hotmail.com@discussions.microsoft.co m>
wrote in message news:1785D78E-62A3-4310-A2FF-167F57DAC0D8@microsoft.com...
> Recently, I have upgraded to Microsoft IE 8 and may have discovered an
> interseting problem.
>
> When installing Live Mail, the system may default the boolean for "Leave a
> copy of message on server." to FALSE regardless of its original setting..
> run a copy of this in two locations keeping my secondary location's flag
> TRUE and my laptop to FALSE. Over the weekend I noticed that I had little
> email activity. This morning I drove out to my secondary location and
> found
> my LIVE mail client open and my flag FALSE. Prior to the upgrade from
> the
> Beta to the RC version of IE 8 it had been verified to be set to TRUE.
>
> For what its worth.

...winston

Re: Live Mail defaults boolean for leave copy of mail to false regardl
The default setting in WLM for pop3 accounts **is** to Leave Messages on the server.

IE8 or installation of does not impact that setting.

--
...winston
ms-mvp mail

"spooky1966@hotmail.com" <spooky1966@hotmail.com@discussions.microsoft.co m> wrote in message
> Recently, I have upgraded to Microsoft IE 8 and may have discovered an
> interseting problem.
>
> When installing Live Mail, the system may default the boolean for "Leave a
> copy of message on server." to FALSE regardless of its original setting.. I
> run a copy of this in two locations keeping my secondary location's flag to
> TRUE and my laptop to FALSE. Over the weekend I noticed that I had little
> email activity. This morning I drove out to my secondary location and found
> my LIVE mail client open and my flag FALSE. Prior to the upgrade from the
> Beta to the RC version of IE 8 it had been verified to be set to TRUE.
>
> For what its worth.

Ron Sommer

Re: Live Mail defaults boolean for leave copy of mail to false regardl
My default setting is Leave 'a copy of' messages on the server.
--
Ron Sommer