IE8 with XP Chews up CPU with hyperlinks

Carlken

IE8 with XP Chews up CPU with hyperlinks
I use IE8 with Windows XP. I have a real performance problem when I click on
a hyperlink, open or close Tabs. The CPU usage goes to 100% and the
explorer.exe and the multiple iexplore.exe processes (usually 4 or 5) all
start using CPU. They are all at 00, but will quickly jump to a combined
total of 100 if I click on a hyperlink. It takes sometimes 3-5 minutes to
open the hyperlink in a new Tab. Additionally, they jump when a Tab is
closed and stay at 100 for about 40 seconds; similarly jump to 100 when a Tab
is closed for 50 seconds. Right now I have 6 Tabs in 2 windows with 5
instances of iexplore.exe running. One last point, I closed all of the Tabs
except one and clicked on a hyperlink. It took one minute to open the new
Tab. Turning off add-ons had no effect. I would appreciate your help on
this.

Re: IE8 with XP Chews up CPU with hyperlinks
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
this newsgroup.

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

Carlken wrote:
> I use IE8 with Windows XP. I have a real performance problem when I click
> on a hyperlink, open or close Tabs. The CPU usage goes to 100% and the
> explorer.exe and the multiple iexplore.exe processes (usually 4 or 5) all
> start using CPU. They are all at 00, but will quickly jump to a combined
> total of 100 if I click on a hyperlink. It takes sometimes 3-5 minutes to
> open the hyperlink in a new Tab. Additionally, they jump when a Tab is
> closed and stay at 100 for about 40 seconds; similarly jump to 100 when a
> Tab is closed for 50 seconds. Right now I have 6 Tabs in 2 windows with 5
> instances of iexplore.exe running. One last point, I closed all of the
> Tabs
> except one and clicked on a hyperlink. It took one minute to open the new
> Tab. Turning off add-ons had no effect. I would appreciate your help on
> this.

Carlken

Re: IE8 with XP Chews up CPU with hyperlinks
I went straight to IE reset and it worked...as far as I know. I will post
agian if I see any recurrence of these symptoms. Thanks.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
> this newsgroup.
>
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).

> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>
> 4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
> IE8?
>
> 4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>
> 5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Carlken wrote:
> > I use IE8 with Windows XP. I have a real performance problem when I click
> > on a hyperlink, open or close Tabs. The CPU usage goes to 100% and the
> > explorer.exe and the multiple iexplore.exe processes (usually 4 or 5) all
> > start using CPU. They are all at 00, but will quickly jump to a combined
> > total of 100 if I click on a hyperlink. It takes sometimes 3-5 minutes to
> > open the hyperlink in a new Tab. Additionally, they jump when a Tab is
> > closed and stay at 100 for about 40 seconds; similarly jump to 100 when a
> > Tab is closed for 50 seconds. Right now I have 6 Tabs in 2 windows with 5
> > instances of iexplore.exe running. One last point, I closed all of the
> > Tabs
> > except one and clicked on a hyperlink. It took one minute to open the new
> > Tab. Turning off add-ons had no effect. I would appreciate your help on
> > this.

Re: IE8 with XP Chews up CPU with hyperlinks
YW