One computer, two users, two different page renderings

NovHak

One computer, two users, two different page renderings
Dear forum readers and contributors,

My problem is simple to describe : on a single computer, for a given web
page, IE doesn't give the same rendering depending on the user who runs it.
Eventually all users but one (let's call him Bob) seem to have the same (and
good) rendering.

Here are the two different renderings :
1) Bob's : http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9505/sc1y.jpg
2) Other users' : http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1233/sc2siq.jpg

I chose to reset all IE parameters (from the advanced tab), and checked the
box so that temporary files, cookies, InPrivate filtering data, etc, are
removed too, but that didn't change anything, the rendering remains the same.

So I tried to start IE with/without 3rd party modules, with/without
InPrivate filtering, with/without InPrivate browsing, all the 8 combinations
of these options, resetting IE before each try, and I tried that on two
users, Bob and another one (let's call her Alice), with no luck : the
rendering remains the same, and different between Bob and Alice.

Obviously I could delete Bob's profile, which would probably restore a good
page rendering for Bob, but I'm not keen on this option, and I would like to
know what's happening. What is this hidden parameter, resisting IE resets and
safe mode browsing ?

Help !
Don Varnau

Re: One computer, two users, two different page renderings
Hi,
Windows XP or Vista? (Might or might not be important.)

Does hitting Ctrl+F5 (forced refresh) change Bob's display?

Is Bob using a different screen resolution?

Do the differences in display persist if the computer is started in Safe
Mode with Networking?

Actually, Bob's page looks better to me- less empty space. ;-)

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"NovHak" <NovHak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear forum readers and contributors,
>
> My problem is simple to describe : on a single computer, for a given web
> page, IE doesn't give the same rendering depending on the user who runs

it.
> Eventually all users but one (let's call him Bob) seem to have the same

(and
> good) rendering.
>
> Here are the two different renderings :
> 1) Bob's : http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9505/sc1y.jpg
> 2) Other users' : http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1233/sc2siq.jpg
>
> I chose to reset all IE parameters (from the advanced tab), and checked

the
> box so that temporary files, cookies, InPrivate filtering data, etc, are
> removed too, but that didn't change anything, the rendering remains the

same.

> So I tried to start IE with/without 3rd party modules, with/without
> InPrivate filtering, with/without InPrivate browsing, all the 8

combinations
> of these options, resetting IE before each try, and I tried that on two
> users, Bob and another one (let's call her Alice), with no luck : the
> rendering remains the same, and different between Bob and Alice.
>
> Obviously I could delete Bob's profile, which would probably restore a

good
> page rendering for Bob, but I'm not keen on this option, and I would like

> know what's happening. What is this hidden parameter, resisting IE resets

and
> safe mode browsing ?
>
> Help !

Luuk

NovHak schreef:
> Dear forum readers and contributors,
>
> My problem is simple to describe : on a single computer, for a given web
> page, IE doesn't give the same rendering depending on the user who runs it.
> Eventually all users but one (let's call him Bob) seem to have the same (and
> good) rendering.
>
> Here are the two different renderings :
> 1) Bob's : http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9505/sc1y.jpg
> 2) Other users' : http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1233/sc2siq.jpg
>
> I chose to reset all IE parameters (from the advanced tab), and checked the
> box so that temporary files, cookies, InPrivate filtering data, etc, are
> removed too, but that didn't change anything, the rendering remains the same.
>
> So I tried to start IE with/without 3rd party modules, with/without
> InPrivate filtering, with/without InPrivate browsing, all the 8 combinations
> of these options, resetting IE before each try, and I tried that on two
> users, Bob and another one (let's call her Alice), with no luck : the
> rendering remains the same, and different between Bob and Alice.
>
> Obviously I could delete Bob's profile, which would probably restore a good
> page rendering for Bob, but I'm not keen on this option, and I would like to
> know what's happening. What is this hidden parameter, resisting IE resets and
> safe mode browsing ?
>
> Help !

do i see correctly that the 6 items show in a different order ?
('compte battle.net', 'access au...', 'Jeux', 'WoW', 'profile du
compte', 'Facturation...')

('compte battle.net', 'access au...', 'profile du compte', 'Jeux',
'WoW', 'Facturation...')

This might introduce some space problems because there might not be
enough space to display the items. (This can be caused by a different
screeen resolution?)

--
Luuk
NovHak

Re: One computer, two users, two different page renderings
Thanks Don !

I use Vista (and IE8 as you probably guessed).

I tried safe mode w/networking with no significant change :
http://yfrog.com/0rsc3djx (the screenshot on the left is Bob's, the one on
the right is Alice's).

Then came back to normal mode, and tried Ctrl+F5 for Bob, but the rendering
does not change (still bad). I say "bad" knowingly, since at first I too
thought that Bob's display was better, until I discovered that the part named
"Mes modes de paiement & coordonnées" was missing. Once this message is sent
I will try Ctrl+F5 with Alice and come back.

Bob and Alice both use the same screen resolution (1920x1200). In safe mode,
the resolution is 800x600 for both. Maybe I should say the computer is a
laptop, who knows if it may become useful

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Windows XP or Vista? (Might or might not be important.)
>
> Does hitting Ctrl+F5 (forced refresh) change Bob's display?
>
> Is Bob using a different screen resolution?
>
> Do the differences in display persist if the computer is started in Safe
> Mode with Networking?
>
> Actually, Bob's page looks better to me- less empty space. ;-)
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "NovHak" <NovHak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dear forum readers and contributors,
> >
> > My problem is simple to describe : on a single computer, for a given web
> > page, IE doesn't give the same rendering depending on the user who runs

> it.
> > Eventually all users but one (let's call him Bob) seem to have the same

> (and
> > good) rendering.
> >
> > Here are the two different renderings :
> > 1) Bob's : http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9505/sc1y.jpg
> > 2) Other users' : http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1233/sc2siq.jpg
> >
> > I chose to reset all IE parameters (from the advanced tab), and checked

> the
> > box so that temporary files, cookies, InPrivate filtering data, etc, are
> > removed too, but that didn't change anything, the rendering remains the

> same.
> >
> > So I tried to start IE with/without 3rd party modules, with/without
> > InPrivate filtering, with/without InPrivate browsing, all the 8

> combinations
> > of these options, resetting IE before each try, and I tried that on two
> > users, Bob and another one (let's call her Alice), with no luck : the
> > rendering remains the same, and different between Bob and Alice.
> >
> > Obviously I could delete Bob's profile, which would probably restore a

> good
> > page rendering for Bob, but I'm not keen on this option, and I would like

> > know what's happening. What is this hidden parameter, resisting IE resets

> and
> > safe mode browsing ?
> >
> > Help !

NovHak

"Luuk" wrote:
> NovHak schreef:
> > Dear forum readers and contributors,
> >
> > My problem is simple to describe : on a single computer, for a given web
> > page, IE doesn't give the same rendering depending on the user who runs it.
> > Eventually all users but one (let's call him Bob) seem to have the same (and
> > good) rendering.
> >
> > Here are the two different renderings :
> > 1) Bob's : http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9505/sc1y.jpg
> > 2) Other users' : http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1233/sc2siq.jpg
> >
> > I chose to reset all IE parameters (from the advanced tab), and checked the
> > box so that temporary files, cookies, InPrivate filtering data, etc, are
> > removed too, but that didn't change anything, the rendering remains the same.
> >
> > So I tried to start IE with/without 3rd party modules, with/without
> > InPrivate filtering, with/without InPrivate browsing, all the 8 combinations
> > of these options, resetting IE before each try, and I tried that on two
> > users, Bob and another one (let's call her Alice), with no luck : the
> > rendering remains the same, and different between Bob and Alice.
> >
> > Obviously I could delete Bob's profile, which would probably restore a good
> > page rendering for Bob, but I'm not keen on this option, and I would like to
> > know what's happening. What is this hidden parameter, resisting IE resets and
> > safe mode browsing ?
> >
> > Help !

> do i see correctly that the 6 items show in a different order ?
> ('compte battle.net', 'access au...', 'Jeux', 'WoW', 'profile du
> compte', 'Facturation...')
>
> ('compte battle.net', 'access au...', 'profile du compte', 'Jeux',
> 'WoW', 'Facturation...')
>
> This might introduce some space problems because there might not be
> enough space to display the items. (This can be caused by a different
> screeen resolution?)

Hi Luuk,

You're right, the items are in a different order, but both screen
resolutions are the same (1920x1200). Looks like the order is different
because the frame (I'm not sure the term is technically correct here, I don't
know much about XML/XSL) containing the elements is not at the same place.
Eventually a frame is missing for Bob, the part named "Mes modes de paiement
& coordonnées". That clearly designates Bob's rendering as the bad one !
NovHak

Re: One computer, two users, two different page renderings
As I expected : hitting Ctrl+F5 doesn't change Alice's rendering. I even
changed the displayed language of the site to german, english, russian, the
layout remains the same (tried with Bob as well). Eventually I expected that
too

But... enabling display compatibility works. Once Bob has it enabled for the
battle.net site, its rendering becomes correct, the same as Alice's (whose
display compatibility is disabled). Why should only Bob have to enable
display compatibility to have a correct rendering ? I'm still looking for
that hidden parameter that makes IE switch behaviours across user accounts...

"NovHak" wrote:

> [...]

> > same.
> > >
> > > So I tried to start IE with/without 3rd party modules, with/without
> > > InPrivate filtering, with/without InPrivate browsing, all the 8

> > combinations
> > > of these options, resetting IE before each try, and I tried that on two
> > > users, Bob and another one (let's call her Alice), with no luck : the
> > > rendering remains the same, and different between Bob and Alice.
> > >
> > > Obviously I could delete Bob's profile, which would probably restore a

> > good
> > > page rendering for Bob, but I'm not keen on this option, and I would like

> > > know what's happening. What is this hidden parameter, resisting IE resets

> > and
> > > safe mode browsing ?
> > >
> > > Help !

Don Varnau

Re: One computer, two users, two different page renderings
Probably the last idea I'm going to have on this issue, but...
Do both users have the same settings at
* IE> Tools> Compatibility View Settings
and
* Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> Automatically recover from page
layout errors with Compatibility View?

> As I expected : hitting Ctrl+F5 doesn't change Alice's rendering. I even
> changed the displayed language of the site to german, english, russian,

the
> layout remains the same (tried with Bob as well). Eventually I expected

that
> too
>
> But... enabling display compatibility works. Once Bob has it enabled for

the
> battle.net site, its rendering becomes correct, the same as Alice's (whose
> display compatibility is disabled). Why should only Bob have to enable
> display compatibility to have a correct rendering ? I'm still looking for
> that hidden parameter that makes IE switch behaviours across user

accounts...

> "NovHak" wrote:
>
> > Thanks Don !
> >
> > I use Vista (and IE8 as you probably guessed).
> >
> > I tried safe mode w/networking with no significant change :
> > http://yfrog.com/0rsc3djx (the screenshot on the left is Bob's, the one

on
> > the right is Alice's).
> >
> > Then came back to normal mode, and tried Ctrl+F5 for Bob, but the

rendering
> > does not change (still bad). I say "bad" knowingly, since at first I too
> > thought that Bob's display was better, until I discovered that the part

named
> > "Mes modes de paiement & coordonnées" was missing. Once this message is

sent
> > I will try Ctrl+F5 with Alice and come back.
> >
> > Bob and Alice both use the same screen resolution (1920x1200). In safe

mode,
> > the resolution is 800x600 for both. Maybe I should say the computer is a
> > laptop, who knows if it may become useful

> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > Windows XP or Vista? (Might or might not be important.)
> > >
> > > Does hitting Ctrl+F5 (forced refresh) change Bob's display?
> > >
> > > Is Bob using a different screen resolution?
> > >
> > > Do the differences in display persist if the computer is started in

Safe
> > > Mode with Networking?
> > >
> > > Actually, Bob's page looks better to me- less empty space. ;-)

> > > "NovHak" <NovHak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

web

runs
> > > it.

same
> > > (and

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1233/sc2siq.jpg

checked
> > > the

are

the
> > > same.

> > > combinations

two

the

> > > good

like

resets
> > > and

NovHak

Re: One computer, two users, two different page renderings
Hi Don,

Thanks for your interest in my problem ! I compared those parameters for
both users, they should be the same since both IE parameters have been reset
several times, and... they're the same.

Maybe I will open a case with Microsoft, since I hope they won't consider
this as an "advanced issue". But before this I will try something strange :
Bob's desktop if full of many files and folders, I will move them elsewhere
and see if it changes anything. Just in case... and I'll revert the wallpaper
to the default, hehe, who knows.

Otherwise maybe it has something to do with some out-of-control parameters
(out of my control at least) of the XML/XSL rendering engine. The website
uses this...

Thanks anyway, and feel free to add new ideas you may have !

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Probably the last idea I'm going to have on this issue, but...
> Do both users have the same settings at
> * IE> Tools> Compatibility View Settings
> and
> * Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> Automatically recover from page
> layout errors with Compatibility View?
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "NovHak" <NovHak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > As I expected : hitting Ctrl+F5 doesn't change Alice's rendering. I even
> > changed the displayed language of the site to german, english, russian,

> the
> > layout remains the same (tried with Bob as well). Eventually I expected

> that
> > too
> >
> > But... enabling display compatibility works. Once Bob has it enabled for

> the
> > battle.net site, its rendering becomes correct, the same as Alice's (whose
> > display compatibility is disabled). Why should only Bob have to enable
> > display compatibility to have a correct rendering ? I'm still looking for
> > that hidden parameter that makes IE switch behaviours across user

> accounts...
>
> > "NovHak" wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks Don !
> > >
> > > I use Vista (and IE8 as you probably guessed).
> > >
> > > I tried safe mode w/networking with no significant change :
> > > http://yfrog.com/0rsc3djx (the screenshot on the left is Bob's, the one

> on
> > > the right is Alice's).
> > >
> > > Then came back to normal mode, and tried Ctrl+F5 for Bob, but the

> rendering
> > > does not change (still bad). I say "bad" knowingly, since at first I too
> > > thought that Bob's display was better, until I discovered that the part

> named
> > > "Mes modes de paiement & coordonnées" was missing. Once this message is

> sent
> > > I will try Ctrl+F5 with Alice and come back.
> > >
> > > Bob and Alice both use the same screen resolution (1920x1200). In safe

> mode,
> > > the resolution is 800x600 for both. Maybe I should say the computer is a
> > > laptop, who knows if it may become useful

> Safe

> web

> runs

> same

> http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1233/sc2siq.jpg

> checked

> are

> the

> two

> the

> like

> resets

NovHak

Re: One computer, two users, two different page renderings
Just got it ! I used Tools => Development tools (F12), that launched some
sort of a debugging window where I noticed that the site was using a CSS
named ie6.css. But that CSS was only used when Bob was surfing. When Alice
surfs, no ie6.css.

So I thought that the site was fouled into thinking that my browser was IE6
in some way, hence I checked my browser ID string. Here it is :

Alice's :
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET
CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; FDM; .NET CLR
3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729)

Bob's :
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; Mozilla/4.0
(compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) ; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727;
Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; FDM; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR
3.0.30729)

Why the heck has this "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1;
SV1)" been added into Bob's context ? And why isn't the browser ID string
part of the reset parameters ?

I'm going to look for the cleanest way to set back the browser ID string to
its default value. I'm not keen on using an IEAK MMC file or things like
that, neither am I on forcing that string to Alice's by editing the registry.
Maybe I will just delete the entry from the registry once I've found it, IMO
that's more in the spirit of a reset.

"NovHak" wrote:

> Hi Don,
>
> Thanks for your interest in my problem ! I compared those parameters for
> both users, they should be the same since both IE parameters have been reset
> several times, and... they're the same.
>
> Maybe I will open a case with Microsoft, since I hope they won't consider
> this as an "advanced issue". But before this I will try something strange :
> Bob's desktop if full of many files and folders, I will move them elsewhere
> and see if it changes anything. Just in case... and I'll revert the wallpaper
> to the default, hehe, who knows.
>
> Otherwise maybe it has something to do with some out-of-control parameters
> (out of my control at least) of the XML/XSL rendering engine. The website
> uses this...
>
> Thanks anyway, and feel free to add new ideas you may have !
>
> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Probably the last idea I'm going to have on this issue, but...
> > Do both users have the same settings at
> > * IE> Tools> Compatibility View Settings
> > and
> > * Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> Automatically recover from page
> > layout errors with Compatibility View?
> >
> > Don
> > [MS MVP- IE]
> >
> > "NovHak" <NovHak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > As I expected : hitting Ctrl+F5 doesn't change Alice's rendering. I even
> > > changed the displayed language of the site to german, english, russian,

> > the
> > > layout remains the same (tried with Bob as well). Eventually I expected

> > that
> > > too
> > >
> > > But... enabling display compatibility works. Once Bob has it enabled for

> > the
> > > battle.net site, its rendering becomes correct, the same as Alice's (whose
> > > display compatibility is disabled). Why should only Bob have to enable
> > > display compatibility to have a correct rendering ? I'm still looking for
> > > that hidden parameter that makes IE switch behaviours across user

> > accounts...

> > on

> > rendering

> > named

> > sent

> > mode,

> > Safe

> > web

> > runs

> > same

> > http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1233/sc2siq.jpg

> > checked

> > are

> > the

> > two

> > the

> > like

> > resets

NovHak

Re: One computer, two users, two different page renderings
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet
Settings\User Agent\Post Platform]
"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) "=""

I destroyed this, and now the rendering is correct. But why did that appear,
I still don't know.