Re: IE8 uninstalled(KB957700); In IE7 complenta mode; How to install I

Re: IE8 uninstalled(KB957700); In IE7 complenta mode; How to install I
[crosspost to IE General]

Were you running IE6 or IE7 before you installed IE8?

in the background when you installed or uninstalled IE8?

Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
--
IE-specific newsgroup:

diligentinquirer wrote:
> HP xp home.;SP3. Due to a conflict with an HP printer prog, uninstalled
> ie8
> vial the pertinent KB957700 instructions, and wound up in compatibility
> mode
> (side by side)for what seems to be an IE6 based, IE7 compatibilty
> mode(strange to me!) Anyway, just want to make sure on which step to now
> take rather than just installing IE7 and fouling something up.
>
> All help appreciated in advance. Thanks, Diligent.

diligentinquirer

Re: IE8 uninstalled(KB957700); In IE7 complenta mode; How to insta
Q1: had updated to IE& from IE6
Q2: Comodo antivirus
Q3: No anti-spyware except spybot shield
Q4: Comodo Firewall
Q5: No, disabled them first except for spybot shield
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
Q6: Had Norton that came with HP xp home recovery disks. Uninstalled with
Norton specified uninstaller. For a wile, had McCaffe website protector (not
sure of exact name), and uninstalled that via McCaffee's specified
uninstaller.
Q9: don't know if have restore point back that far. Have system restore set
to level three to lower Disk usage, and Erunt automatic maxes out at 30 days
but have some points I made initially (just trying out) maybe in early May or
so that might be old enough, Installed IE8 from windows update >> could have
been SP3 maybe.

> Were you running IE6 or IE7 before you installed IE8?

> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed or uninstalled IE8?

> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
> an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
> --
> IE-specific newsgroup:
>
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> diligentinquirer wrote:
> > HP xp home.;SP3. Due to a conflict with an HP printer prog, uninstalled
> > ie8
> > vial the pertinent KB957700 instructions, and wound up in compatibility
> > mode
> > (side by side)for what seems to be an IE6 based, IE7 compatibilty
> > mode(strange to me!) Anyway, just want to make sure on which step to now
> > take rather than just installing IE7 and fouling something up.
> >
> > All help appreciated in advance. Thanks, Diligent.

Re: IE8 uninstalled(KB957700); In IE7 complenta mode; How to insta
May I assume that you did not disable Comodo (1) anti-virus & (2) firewall,
Spybot Residents (3) SDHelper and/or (4) Tea Timer, and then (5) enable the
Windows Firewall prior to installing and/or uninstalling IE8?

diligentinquirer wrote:
> Q1: had updated to IE& from IE6
> Q2: Comodo antivirus
> Q3: No anti-spyware except spybot shield
> Q4: Comodo Firewall
> Q5: No, disabled them first except for spybot shield
> Q6: Had Norton that came with HP xp home recovery disks. Uninstalled with
> Norton specified uninstaller. For a wile, had McCaffe website protector
> (not
> sure of exact name), and uninstalled that via McCaffee's specified
> uninstaller.
> Q9: don't know if have restore point back that far. Have system restore
> set
> to level three to lower Disk usage, and Erunt automatic maxes out at 30
> days
> but have some points I made initially (just trying out) maybe in early May
> or so that might be old enough, Installed IE8 from windows update - could
> have been SP3 maybe.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Were you running IE6 or IE7 before you installed IE8?

>> applications running in the background when you installed or uninstalled
>> IE8?
>>
>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>>
>> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
>> have
>> an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
>> --
>> IE-specific newsgroup:
>>
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> diligentinquirer wrote:
>>> HP xp home.;SP3. Due to a conflict with an HP printer prog, uninstalled
>>> ie8
>>> vial the pertinent KB957700 instructions, and wound up in compatibility
>>> mode
>>> (side by side)for what seems to be an IE6 based, IE7 compatibilty
>>> mode(strange to me!) Anyway, just want to make sure on which step to
>>> now
>>> take rather than just installing IE7 and fouling something up.
>>>
>>> All help appreciated in advance. Thanks, Diligent.

diligentinquirer

Re: IE8 uninstalled(KB957700); In IE7 complenta mode; How to insta
further info on Q9. Apparently no IE6, based on Explorer lists. IE7 installed
and updated on April 26, 2009.IE8 updates occurred May 19, 2009. (folder
empty)

Erunt-erdnt backups: May 21, 25, 26, 30>>>all 2009

Should have looked this up before my reply, but just did not think about the
IE 7-8 info.

Thanks for yout help Rober, Is appreciated!!! Diligent (Jim).

"diligentinquirer" wrote:

> Q1: had updated to IE& from IE6
> Q2: Comodo antivirus
> Q3: No anti-spyware except spybot shield
> Q4: Comodo Firewall
> Q5: No, disabled them first except for spybot shield
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> Q6: Had Norton that came with HP xp home recovery disks. Uninstalled with
> Norton specified uninstaller. For a wile, had McCaffe website protector (not
> sure of exact name), and uninstalled that via McCaffee's specified
> uninstaller.
> Q9: don't know if have restore point back that far. Have system restore set
> to level three to lower Disk usage, and Erunt automatic maxes out at 30 days
> but have some points I made initially (just trying out) maybe in early May or
> so that might be old enough, Installed IE8 from windows update >> could have
> been SP3 maybe.
> >
> > Were you running IE6 or IE7 before you installed IE8?
> >
> > What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> > subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
> > What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> > in the background when you installed or uninstalled IE8?
> >
> > Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> > (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
> >
> > Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
> > an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
> > --
> > IE-specific newsgroup:
> >
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
> >

> > diligentinquirer wrote:
> > > HP xp home.;SP3. Due to a conflict with an HP printer prog, uninstalled
> > > ie8
> > > vial the pertinent KB957700 instructions, and wound up in compatibility
> > > mode
> > > (side by side)for what seems to be an IE6 based, IE7 compatibilty
> > > mode(strange to me!) Anyway, just want to make sure on which step to now
> > > take rather than just installing IE7 and fouling something up.
> > >
> > > All help appreciated in advance. Thanks, Diligent.

diligentinquirer

Re: IE8 uninstalled(KB957700); In IE7 complenta mode; How to insta
Further IE 6-7-8 prog clarification. The current IE's in my explorer file
follow:

(1) iexplore (won't open internet): Vers: 7.0.6000.16850. created 4/25/09

(2) iexplore(2) (does open internet in compatibility>>side by side mode):
Vers. 6.0.2.2900.2180; created 4/25/09

Dont know if vers. 6.0.2......... is IE6 or not, now that I think about it!

Answers to your last posted questions:

(A) likely did not disable comodo (1) antivrus nor (2) firewall; Usually
don't on any download. Do disable on installs though as a routine.

(B) Not running" Spybot Residents (3) SDHelper and/or (4) Tea Timer
Looked it up, was the "immunize" feature.

(C) With the comodo firewall running, do not use the less effective Windows
Firewall. See (A) above.

Thanks again, Diligent

"diligentinquirer" wrote:

> further info on Q9. Apparently no IE6, based on Explorer lists. IE7 installed
> and updated on April 26, 2009.IE8 updates occurred May 19, 2009. (folder
> empty)
>
> Erunt-erdnt backups: May 21, 25, 26, 30>>>all 2009
>
> Should have looked this up before my reply, but just did not think about the
> IE 7-8 info.
>
> Thanks for yout help Rober, Is appreciated!!! Diligent (Jim).
>
> "diligentinquirer" wrote:
>
> > Q1: had updated to IE& from IE6
> > Q2: Comodo antivirus
> > Q3: No anti-spyware except spybot shield
> > Q4: Comodo Firewall
> > Q5: No, disabled them first except for spybot shield
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> > Q6: Had Norton that came with HP xp home recovery disks. Uninstalled with
> > Norton specified uninstaller. For a wile, had McCaffe website protector (not
> > sure of exact name), and uninstalled that via McCaffee's specified
> > uninstaller.
> > Q9: don't know if have restore point back that far. Have system restore set
> > to level three to lower Disk usage, and Erunt automatic maxes out at 30 days
> > but have some points I made initially (just trying out) maybe in early May or
> > so that might be old enough, Installed IE8 from windows update >> could have
> > been SP3 maybe.
> > >
> > > Were you running IE6 or IE7 before you installed IE8?
> > >
> > > What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> > > subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
> > > What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> > > in the background when you installed or uninstalled IE8?
> > >
> > > Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> > > (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
> > >
> > > Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
> > > an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
> > > --
> > > IE-specific newsgroup:
> > >
> > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002

Re: IE8 uninstalled(KB957700); In IE7 complenta mode; How to insta
Which was installed first, IE7 or WinXP SP3?

Is "Windows Internet Explorer 7" listed in Add/Remove Programs?

diligentinquirer wrote:
> Further IE 6-7-8 prog clarification. The current IE's in my explorer file
> follow:
>
> (1) iexplore (won't open internet): Vers: 7.0.6000.16850. created 4/25/09
>
> (2) iexplore(2) (does open internet in compatibility>>side by side mode):
> Vers. 6.0.2.2900.2180; created 4/25/09
>
> Dont know if vers. 6.0.2......... is IE6 or not, now that I think about
> it!
>
> Answers to your last posted questions:
>
> (A) likely did not disable comodo (1) antivrus nor (2) firewall; Usually
> don't on any download. Do disable on installs though as a routine.
>
> (B) Not running" Spybot Residents (3) SDHelper and/or (4) Tea Timer
> Looked it up, was the "immunize" feature.
>
> (C) With the comodo firewall running, do not use the less effective
> Windows
> Firewall. See (A) above.
>
> Thanks again, Diligent
>

> "diligentinquirer" wrote:
>
>> further info on Q9. Apparently no IE6, based on Explorer lists. IE7
>> installed and updated on April 26, 2009.IE8 updates occurred May 19,
>> 2009.
>> (folder empty)
>>
>> Erunt-erdnt backups: May 21, 25, 26, 30>>>all 2009
>>
>> Should have looked this up before my reply, but just did not think about
>> the IE 7-8 info.
>>
>> Thanks for yout help Rober, Is appreciated!!! Diligent (Jim).
>>
>> "diligentinquirer" wrote:
>>
>>> Q1: had updated to IE& from IE6
>>> Q2: Comodo antivirus
>>> Q3: No anti-spyware except spybot shield
>>> Q4: Comodo Firewall
>>> Q5: No, disabled them first except for spybot shield
>>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> Q6: Had Norton that came with HP xp home recovery disks. Uninstalled
>>> with
>>> Norton specified uninstaller. For a wile, had McCaffe website protector
>>> (not sure of exact name), and uninstalled that via McCaffee's specified
>>> uninstaller.
>>> Q9: don't know if have restore point back that far. Have system restore
>>> set to level three to lower Disk usage, and Erunt automatic maxes out at
>>> 30 days but have some points I made initially (just trying out) maybe in
>>> early May or so that might be old enough, Installed IE8 from windows
>>> update >> could have been SP3 maybe.

diligentinquirer

Re: IE8 uninstalled(KB957700); In IE7 complenta mode; How to insta
Just saw your message when writing this new info reply. Guess I have to start
fresh on this forum every time from my bookmarks.

Just to note, I did do both a system restore point and erunt-erdnt registry
save, just (say two minutes) prior to doing the IE8 uninstall.

On your question, I cannot tell >> (& cant see how to tell)>> when the SP3
was installed. probably very soon after the April 26 initial date, cause I
know I was aware I was running on SP2, and made a point of it to upgrade to
SP3.

4/26/09 1:31 pm did HP XPhome disk recovery
4/26/09 1:31 pm KB969897 update, updated.
4/27/09 KB938127_v2_ie2 updated,>>>>along with a "spunist" in C:/windows/IE7.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Which was installed first, IE7 or WinXP SP3?
>
> Is "Windows Internet Explorer 7" listed in Add/Remove Programs?
>

> diligentinquirer wrote:
> > Further IE 6-7-8 prog clarification. The current IE's in my explorer file
> > follow:
> >
> > (1) iexplore (won't open internet): Vers: 7.0.6000.16850. created 4/25/09
> >
> > (2) iexplore(2) (does open internet in compatibility>>side by side mode):
> > Vers. 6.0.2.2900.2180; created 4/25/09
> >
> > Dont know if vers. 6.0.2......... is IE6 or not, now that I think about
> > it!
> >
> > Answers to your last posted questions:
> >
> > (A) likely did not disable comodo (1) antivrus nor (2) firewall; Usually
> > don't on any download. Do disable on installs though as a routine.
> >
> > (B) Not running" Spybot Residents (3) SDHelper and/or (4) Tea Timer
> > Looked it up, was the "immunize" feature.
> >
> > (C) With the comodo firewall running, do not use the less effective
> > Windows
> > Firewall. See (A) above.
> >
> > Thanks again, Diligent
> >

> > "diligentinquirer" wrote:
> >
> >> further info on Q9. Apparently no IE6, based on Explorer lists. IE7
> >> installed and updated on April 26, 2009.IE8 updates occurred May 19,
> >> 2009.
> >> (folder empty)
> >>
> >> Erunt-erdnt backups: May 21, 25, 26, 30>>>all 2009
> >>
> >> Should have looked this up before my reply, but just did not think about
> >> the IE 7-8 info.
> >>
> >> Thanks for yout help Rober, Is appreciated!!! Diligent (Jim).

diligentinquirer

Re: IE8 uninstalled(KB957700); In IE7 complenta mode; How to insta
No, not listed in add/remove, but is listed in revo-uninstaller and in the
system tools list under system restore, an IE icon with "Internet Explorer
(no addons) exists.

Hmmm

Thanks again.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Which was installed first, IE7 or WinXP SP3?
>
> Is "Windows Internet Explorer 7" listed in Add/Remove Programs?
>

> diligentinquirer wrote:
> > Further IE 6-7-8 prog clarification. The current IE's in my explorer file
> > follow:
> >
> > (1) iexplore (won't open internet): Vers: 7.0.6000.16850. created 4/25/09
> >
> > (2) iexplore(2) (does open internet in compatibility>>side by side mode):
> > Vers. 6.0.2.2900.2180; created 4/25/09
> >
> > Dont know if vers. 6.0.2......... is IE6 or not, now that I think about
> > it!
> >
> > Answers to your last posted questions:
> >
> > (A) likely did not disable comodo (1) antivrus nor (2) firewall; Usually
> > don't on any download. Do disable on installs though as a routine.
> >
> > (B) Not running" Spybot Residents (3) SDHelper and/or (4) Tea Timer
> > Looked it up, was the "immunize" feature.
> >
> > (C) With the comodo firewall running, do not use the less effective
> > Windows
> > Firewall. See (A) above.
> >
> > Thanks again, Diligent
> >

> > "diligentinquirer" wrote:
> >
> >> further info on Q9. Apparently no IE6, based on Explorer lists. IE7
> >> installed and updated on April 26, 2009.IE8 updates occurred May 19,
> >> 2009.
> >> (folder empty)
> >>
> >> Erunt-erdnt backups: May 21, 25, 26, 30>>>all 2009
> >>
> >> Should have looked this up before my reply, but just did not think about
> >> the IE 7-8 info.
> >>
> >> Thanks for yout help Rober, Is appreciated!!! Diligent (Jim).

diligentinquirer

Re: IE8 uninstalled(KB957700); In IE7 complenta mode; How to insta
Using search, service pack 3 was installed on April 26, 2009 at2:39:50 and
2:40.29 PM (two entries). Tnks for the patience!!

"diligentinquirer" wrote:

> No, not listed in add/remove, but is listed in revo-uninstaller and in the
> system tools list under system restore, an IE icon with "Internet Explorer
> (no addons) exists.
>
> Hmmm
>
> Thanks again.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Which was installed first, IE7 or WinXP SP3?
> >
> > Is "Windows Internet Explorer 7" listed in Add/Remove Programs?
> >

> > diligentinquirer wrote:
> > > Further IE 6-7-8 prog clarification. The current IE's in my explorer file
> > > follow:
> > >
> > > (1) iexplore (won't open internet): Vers: 7.0.6000.16850. created 4/25/09
> > >
> > > (2) iexplore(2) (does open internet in compatibility>>side by side mode):
> > > Vers. 6.0.2.2900.2180; created 4/25/09
> > >
> > > Dont know if vers. 6.0.2......... is IE6 or not, now that I think about
> > > it!
> > >
> > > Answers to your last posted questions:
> > >
> > > (A) likely did not disable comodo (1) antivrus nor (2) firewall; Usually
> > > don't on any download. Do disable on installs though as a routine.
> > >
> > > (B) Not running" Spybot Residents (3) SDHelper and/or (4) Tea Timer
> > > Looked it up, was the "immunize" feature.
> > >
> > > (C) With the comodo firewall running, do not use the less effective
> > > Windows
> > > Firewall. See (A) above.
> > >
> > > Thanks again, Diligent

diligentinquirer

Re: IE8 uninstalled(KB957700); In IE7 complenta mode; How to insta
A third service Pack 3 entry exists, created April 26, 2009, modified May 20,
2009, called an "appfix package". will research. Diligent (Jim)