Data Execution Prevention keeps closing IE8

Chiefs

Data Execution Prevention keeps closing IE8
I have a 64 bit windows vista os and recently IE8 gives me the message
"Internet Explorer has stopped working...windows is checking for a solution
to the problem" When I click "close" on the message box, it goes away but IE
is still up and running. Then a box pops up informing me about the DEP
causing the problem. I tried disabling almost all IE add-ons but the problem
persists. I ran an AVG scan and no virus shows up. When I tried to switch the
DEP settings to add IE8.exe to be excluded, I couldn't find the file that
ended in "exe". I found the IE8 folder, but no "exe" file.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Data Execution Prevention keeps closing IE8
(cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint)
"Chiefs" <Chiefs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B76F9D75-0E44-457C-8287-10EBE3772FCD@microsoft.com...
>I have a 64 bit windows vista os and recently IE8 gives me the message
> "Internet Explorer has stopped working...windows is checking for a solution
> to the problem" When I click "close" on the message box, it goes away but IE
> is still up and running. Then a box pops up informing me about the DEP
> causing the problem. I tried disabling almost all IE add-ons but the problem
> persists. I ran an AVG scan and no virus shows up. When I tried to switch the
> DEP settings to add IE8.exe to be excluded, I couldn't find the file that
> ended in "exe". I found the IE8 folder, but no "exe" file.

Disabling DEP is not a good idea IMO. Find out the cause of the crash.
It is very likely going to be an incompatible third-party program which is
somehow involved in the calling sequence which led up to the crash.
An example would a toolbar which runs independently and can not be
stopped by IE's No Add-ons mode.

> Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

You need to get the Stack Back Trace associated with the DEP event.
Using ProcMon would be one way if drwtsn32.log doesn't capture it.
Apparently Vista no longer provides drwtsn32.exe. I don't know what
it provides as an alternative for capturing stack information. You can
at least get information about the loaded modules from the Error Report
details window but it is not searchable or even capturable AFAIK.
If the problem symptom is not easily reproducible you could also get some
module and stack info from Process Explorer (aka ProcExp) but that would
be post-event data and therefore potentially not as useful.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Singapore Computer Service

Re: Data Execution Prevention keeps closing IE8
Hello,

Try disabling IE8's memory protection and see if it helps.
Start > Control Panel > Internet Options > Advanced > under
'Security', uncheck 'Enable memory protection to help mitigate online
attacks' > OK

Otherwise you can use the free Microsoft Phone Support for IE8 (see under
'for consumers')
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...t/call-us.aspx

quote:
Free phone support for Internet Explorer 8 is limited to installation,
set-up and usage only. Advanced issues are not supported. Advanced issues
include problems that are associated with software and hardware development,
network connectivity, server-based technologies, and business-critical
systems.

Regards,
Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
"Chiefs" <Chiefs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a 64 bit windows vista os and recently IE8 gives me the message
> "Internet Explorer has stopped working...windows is checking for a
> solution
> to the problem" When I click "close" on the message box, it goes away but
> IE
> is still up and running. Then a box pops up informing me about the DEP
> causing the problem. I tried disabling almost all IE add-ons but the
> problem
> persists. I ran an AVG scan and no virus shows up. When I tried to switch
> the
> DEP settings to add IE8.exe to be excluded, I couldn't find the file that
> ended in "exe". I found the IE8 folder, but no "exe" file.
>
> Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Re: Data Execution Prevention keeps closing IE8
Is Google Toolbar or Desktop installed?

Chiefs wrote:
> I have a 64 bit windows vista os and recently IE8 gives me the message
> "Internet Explorer has stopped working...windows is checking for a
> solution
> to the problem" When I click "close" on the message box, it goes away but
> IE is still up and running. Then a box pops up informing me about the DEP
> causing the problem. I tried disabling almost all IE add-ons but the
> problem persists. I ran an AVG scan and no virus shows up. When I tried to
> switch the DEP settings to add IE8.exe to be excluded, I couldn't find the
> file that ended in "exe". I found the IE8 folder, but no "exe" file.
>
> Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

VanguardLH

Singapore Computer Service wrote:

> Hello,
> Regards,
> Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
> http://www.bootstrike.com/ComputerService/
> Video Conversion VHS Video8 Hi8 Digital8 MiniDv MicroMv
> http://www.bootstrike.com/VHSVideoConvert/

Be leery of advice from a SPAMMER who has a different agenda than the
pretense of giving help. This one does knows how to put his spam in a
signature but refuses to do so because some newsreaders strip off the
signature. He wants to ensure you see his spam.
VanguardLH

Chiefs wrote:

> I have a 64 bit windows vista os and recently IE8 gives me the message
> "Internet Explorer has stopped working...windows is checking for a
> solution to the problem" When I click "close" on the message box, it
> goes away but IE is still up and running. Then a box pops up
> informing me about the DEP causing the problem. I tried disabling
> almost all IE add-ons but the problem persists.

So what happens when you disable ALL add-ons (by starting IE8 in its no
add-ons mode)?

> I ran an AVG scan and no virus shows up.

A DEP error is not a virus problem. It is a problem is a poorly coded
program.

> When I tried to switch the DEP settings to add IE8.exe to be excluded,
> I couldn't find the file that ended in "exe". I found the IE8
> folder, but no "exe" file.

Who told you that ie8.exe is the executable for Internet Explorer 8?
And WHERE did you find the IE8 folder (since its folder does NOT use
that name)?
Robert Miles

> (cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint)
> "Chiefs" <Chiefs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have a 64 bit windows vista os and recently IE8 gives me the message
>> "Internet Explorer has stopped working...windows is checking for a
>> solution
>> to the problem" When I click "close" on the message box, it goes away
>> but IE
>> is still up and running. Then a box pops up informing me about the DEP
>> causing the problem. I tried disabling almost all IE add-ons but the
>> problem
>> persists. I ran an AVG scan and no virus shows up. When I tried to switch
>> the
>> DEP settings to add IE8.exe to be excluded, I couldn't find the file that
>> ended in "exe". I found the IE8 folder, but no "exe" file.

> Disabling DEP is not a good idea IMO. Find out the cause of the crash.
> It is very likely going to be an incompatible third-party program which is
> somehow involved in the calling sequence which led up to the crash.
> An example would a toolbar which runs independently and can not be
> stopped by IE's No Add-ons mode.
>

>> Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

> You need to get the Stack Back Trace associated with the DEP event.
> Using ProcMon would be one way if drwtsn32.log doesn't capture it.
> Apparently Vista no longer provides drwtsn32.exe. I don't know what
> it provides as an alternative for capturing stack information. You can
> at least get information about the loaded modules from the Error Report
> details window but it is not searchable or even capturable AFAIK.
> If the problem symptom is not easily reproducible you could also get some
> module and stack info from Process Explorer (aka ProcExp) but that would
> be post-event data and therefore potentially not as useful.
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Some things that MAY capture enough information to give some hint
about whether this DEP event is related to the DEP event problems
I'm seeing, but in the Windows Mail program instead:

1. Have Windows Task Manager running on part of the screen while
you have IE8 running on another part. Check if, shortly before the
problem, Windows Task manager shows a little more than 50% of
Physical Memory in use.

2. Remember if you were doing a search for anything at the start of
the problem.

3. Check your Favorites folder and any subfolders under it, and tell
us how many entries you have in the largest folder or subfolder you
have in the Favorites folder tree.

4. Run the Disk Cleanup program before and after the IE8 session
with problems, and record any changes in space allocated to system
error memory dumps or any other types of error reports, but DON'T
use this program to erase any of them. Somewhere, I've found a
program to send these error reports to Microsoft, and then check
if there are any known fixes for the problems, but I don't remember
the details now. It may be named Problem Reports and Solutions.

Robert Miles