Problem with IE8

brucemcal

Problem with IE8
I downloaded IE8 Thursday and tried to install it. Since then I cannot
download anything, including my puzzles from NYTimes; cannot run any videos.
Get a message sgtating: Ïnternet Exploreer was not able to open the internet
site. The requested site is either unavailaable or cannot be founde. Please
try again later."

Should I uninstall IE8 and reinsall IE7, what is best way to do that? I
don't know where to find IE7, nor where IE8 is on my computer. IE8 installed
itself.

Bruce

Re: Problem with IE8
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

brucemcal wrote:
> I downloaded IE8 Thursday and tried to install it. Since then I cannot
> download anything, including my puzzles from NYTimes; cannot run any
> videos.
> Get a message sgtating: Ïnternet Exploreer was not able to open the
> internet
> site. The requested site is either unavailaable or cannot be founde.
> Please try again later."
>
> Should I uninstall IE8 and reinsall IE7, what is best way to do that? I
> don't know where to find IE7, nor where IE8 is on my computer. IE8
> installed itself.
>
> Bruce

brucemcal

Re: Problem with IE8
I am using Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit

The instructions at support.microsoft.com/kb/957700 are not compatible with
the Control Panel listings in this version of Vista. At no point is there
any reference to Internet Explorer of any number.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> brucemcal wrote:
> > I downloaded IE8 Thursday and tried to install it. Since then I cannot
> > download anything, including my puzzles from NYTimes; cannot run any
> > videos.
> > Get a message sgtating: Ïnternet Exploreer was not able to open the
> > internet
> > site. The requested site is either unavailaable or cannot be founde.
> > Please try again later."
> >
> > Should I uninstall IE8 and reinsall IE7, what is best way to do that? I
> > don't know where to find IE7, nor where IE8 is on my computer. IE8
> > installed itself.
> >
> > Bruce

Re: Problem with IE8
Vista, Vista SP1, or Vista SP2?

Did you see & try "Alternative steps for Windows Vista or for Windows Server
2008" in KB957700?

environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

brucemcal wrote:
> I am using Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit
>
> The instructions at support.microsoft.com/kb/957700 are not compatible
> with
> the Control Panel listings in this version of Vista. At no point is there
> any reference to Internet Explorer of any number.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
>> when posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> brucemcal wrote:
>>> I downloaded IE8 Thursday and tried to install it. Since then I cannot
>>> download anything, including my puzzles from NYTimes; cannot run any
>>> videos.
>>> Get a message sgtating: Ïnternet Exploreer was not able to open the
>>> internet
>>> site. The requested site is either unavailaable or cannot be founde.
>>> Please try again later."
>>>
>>> Should I uninstall IE8 and reinsall IE7, what is best way to do that? I
>>> don't know where to find IE7, nor where IE8 is on my computer. IE8
>>> installed itself.
>>>
>>> Bruce

brucemcal

Re: Problem with IE8

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Vista, Vista SP1, or Vista SP2?
>
> Did you see & try "Alternative steps for Windows Vista or for Windows Server
> 2008" in KB957700?
>
> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31 December
> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a non-domain
> environment.
> => US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
> => Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> brucemcal wrote:
> > I am using Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit
> >
> > The instructions at support.microsoft.com/kb/957700 are not compatible
> > with
> > the Control Panel listings in this version of Vista. At no point is there
> > any reference to Internet Explorer of any number.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
> >> when posting to this newsgroup.
> >>
> >> How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

brucemcal

Re: Problem with IE8

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Vista, Vista SP1, or Vista SP2?
>
> Did you see & try "Alternative steps for Windows Vista or for Windows Server
> 2008" in KB957700?
>
> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31 December
> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a non-domain
> environment.
> => US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
> => Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> brucemcal wrote:
> > I am using Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit
> >
> > The instructions at support.microsoft.com/kb/957700 are not compatible
> > with
> > the Control Panel listings in this version of Vista. At no point is there
> > any reference to Internet Explorer of any number.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
> >> when posting to this newsgroup.
> >>
> >> How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

> Well, old problem solved, but a new one. I used System Restore and went back before i tried to install IE8. OK, now I can use videos and download atachments and puzzles and pdf files.

But I cannot read answers to this forum. Checking email this morning after
System Restore, I had received two alerts with the highlighted "Read
response".

However, all clicking on "rread response" does now is bring up a blank
screen. Am guessing it has to do with the System Restore which may have
deleted some responses.

Bruce

Re: Problem with IE8
brucemcal wrote:
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Vista, Vista SP1, or Vista SP2?
>>
>> Did you see & try "Alternative steps for Windows Vista or for Windows
>> Server 2008" in KB957700?
>>
>> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
>> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31
>> December
>> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a
>> non-domain
>> environment.
>> => US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
>> => Other locales:
>> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043 --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> brucemcal wrote:
>>> I am using Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit
>>>
>>> The instructions at support.microsoft.com/kb/957700 are not compatible
>>> with
>>> the Control Panel listings in this version of Vista. At no point is
>>> there
>>> any reference to Internet Explorer of any number.

>> Well, old problem solved, but a new one. I used System Restore and went
>> back before i tried to install IE8. OK, now I can use videos and
>> download
>> atachments and puzzles and pdf files.

> But I cannot read answers to this forum. Checking email this morning
> after
> System Restore, I had received two alerts with the highlighted "Read
> response".
>
> However, all clicking on "rread response" does now is bring up a blank
> screen. Am guessing it has to do with the System Restore which may have
> deleted some responses.

Nevertheless, you managed to find your thread and post a reply...but you
didn't answer my questions.

> ...Am guessing it has to do with the System Restore which may have
> deleted some responses.

Nope, just that buggy web-interface you're using to access this newsgroup.
Try accessing it via your default newsreader (e.g., Windows Mail):

Setting up Windows Mail (Vista) to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/mi...-windows-mail/

Or just click on this link:
~~

brucemcal

Re: Problem with IE8
Thanks PA Bear and all,

Everything is back and functioning, except IE8, and it will be a VERT, VERY
long time before I try that again. IE7 is working just fine!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> brucemcal wrote:
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Vista, Vista SP1, or Vista SP2?
> >>
> >> Did you see & try "Alternative steps for Windows Vista or for Windows
> >> Server 2008" in KB957700?
> >>
> >> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
> >> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31
> >> December
> >> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a
> >> non-domain
> >> environment.
> >> => US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
> >> => Other locales:
> >> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043 --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

> >> Well, old problem solved, but a new one. I used System Restore and went
> >> back before i tried to install IE8. OK, now I can use videos and
> >> download
> >> atachments and puzzles and pdf files.

> > But I cannot read answers to this forum. Checking email this morning
> > after
> > System Restore, I had received two alerts with the highlighted "Read
> > response".
> >
> > However, all clicking on "rread response" does now is bring up a blank
> > screen. Am guessing it has to do with the System Restore which may have
> > deleted some responses.

> Nevertheless, you managed to find your thread and post a reply...but you
> didn't answer my questions.
>
> > ...Am guessing it has to do with the System Restore which may have
> > deleted some responses.

> Nope, just that buggy web-interface you're using to access this newsgroup.
> Try accessing it via your default newsreader (e.g., Windows Mail):
>
> Setting up Windows Mail (Vista) to access Microsoft newsgroups
> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/mi...-windows-mail/
>
> Or just click on this link:
> ~~
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: Problem with IE8
YW.

NB: Unless you hide the IE8 update, Automatic Updates may reinstall it.