Can ping but can't browse local network

scottiedog

Can ping but can't browse local network
I have set up a web app in my virtual (WinXP). I can run the app ok
within the virtual. But from host box, I can't browse to the same url
(e.g. http://mylocalbox/newapp). I get connection error. If I ping
the virtual box by name I get the correct IP address, both virtual and
host. I'm using IE8 and Vista 32 SP2 as the host. Also using the IP
address in url instead of server name didn't help. It almost acting
like IE8 doesn't like to browse Intranet.
Singapore Computer Service

Re: Can ping but can't browse local network
Hello,

Are you sure it is a IE problem? Does the problem occur in Mozilla Firefox
or Google Chrome?

Regards,
Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
"scottiedog" <goscottie@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have set up a web app in my virtual (WinXP). I can run the app ok
> within the virtual. But from host box, I can't browse to the same url
> (e.g. http://mylocalbox/newapp). I get connection error. If I ping
> the virtual box by name I get the correct IP address, both virtual and
> host. I'm using IE8 and Vista 32 SP2 as the host. Also using the IP
> address in url instead of server name didn't help. It almost acting
> like IE8 doesn't like to browse Intranet.

Luuk

Singapore Computer Service schreef:
> Hello,
>
> Are you sure it is a IE problem? Does the problem occur in Mozilla Firefox
> or Google Chrome?
>
> Regards,
> Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
> http://www.bootstrike.com/ComputerService/
> Video Conversion VHS Video8 Hi8 Digital8 MiniDv MicroMv
> http://www.bootstrike.com/VHSVideoConvert/
> "scottiedog" <goscottie@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have set up a web app in my virtual (WinXP). I can run the app ok
>> within the virtual. But from host box, I can't browse to the same url
>> (e.g. http://mylocalbox/newapp). I get connection error. If I ping
>> the virtual box by name I get the correct IP address, both virtual and
>> host. I'm using IE8 and Vista 32 SP2 as the host. Also using the IP
>> address in url instead of server name didn't help. It almost acting
>> like IE8 doesn't like to browse Intranet.

if this also happens with FireFox and/or Chrome....

What about the Firewall on this virtual system? can you turn it OFF? and
try again.

--
Luuk
scottiedog

On Jul 25, 2:44*am, Luuk <l...@invalid.lan> wrote:
> Singapore Computer Service schreef:
>

> > Hello,

> > Are you sure it is a IE problem? Does the problem occur in Mozilla Firefox
> > or Google Chrome?

> > Regards,
> > Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
> >http://www.bootstrike.com/ComputerService/
> > Video Conversion VHS Video8 Hi8 Digital8 MiniDv MicroMv
> >http://www.bootstrike.com/VHSVideoConvert/
> > "scottiedog" <goscot...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I have set up a web app in my virtual (WinXP). *I can run the app ok
> >> within the virtual. *But from host box, I can't browse to the same url
> >> (e.g.http://mylocalbox/newapp). *I get connection error. *If I ping
> >> the virtual box by name I get the correct IP address, both virtual and
> >> host. *I'm using IE8 and Vista 32 SP2 as the host. *Also using theIP
> >> address in url instead of server name didn't help. *It almost acting
> >> like IE8 doesn't like to browse Intranet.

> if this also happens with FireFox and/or Chrome....
>
> What about the Firewall on this virtual system? can you turn it OFF? and
> try again.
>
> --
> Luuk- Hide quoted text -

Firefox, the same behavior.

But, I'm happy to report that turning off firewall on virtual box
resolved the issue. Thanks guys.