IE8 Cannot Display Page with Norton Internet Security

OneDave

IE8 Cannot Display Page with Norton Internet Security
I researched the forums and found numerous references to this problem, and
then found a solution for the special case when Norton Internet Security
(NIS) is installed on a Windows XP machine.

Two of my XP SP3 machines recently started getting the IE8 error message of
Cannot Display Web Page. The offered Diagnose Connection Problems button
revealed no connectivity problem. Using ping, etc., I isolated the problem
to IE8. After working for an hour with Microsoft IE8 on the phone, we
determined that NIS was blocking IE8.

It turns out that IE8 was installed on these machines, replacing IE7, when
they already had NIS installed and running. In essence, NIS was seeing the
new upgrade IE8 as malware and blocking it.

I worked with Symantec on the phone. They helped me uninstall NIS and then
run the Norton Removal Tool. After that, we re-installed NIS and the problem
was gone.

I hope this solution helps other users experiencing this problem with IE8.

Good luck!
Dave
Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 Cannot Display Page with Norton Internet Security
I'm glad your problem is solved, however, the solution you discovered
has been around since the advent of software firewalls.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

OneDave wrote:
> I researched the forums and found numerous references to this problem, and
> then found a solution for the special case when Norton Internet Security
> (NIS) is installed on a Windows XP machine.
>
> Two of my XP SP3 machines recently started getting the IE8 error message of
> Cannot Display Web Page. The offered Diagnose Connection Problems button
> revealed no connectivity problem. Using ping, etc., I isolated the problem
> to IE8. After working for an hour with Microsoft IE8 on the phone, we
> determined that NIS was blocking IE8.
>
> It turns out that IE8 was installed on these machines, replacing IE7, when
> they already had NIS installed and running. In essence, NIS was seeing the
> new upgrade IE8 as malware and blocking it.
>
> I worked with Symantec on the phone. They helped me uninstall NIS and then
> run the Norton Removal Tool. After that, we re-installed NIS and the problem
> was gone.
>
> I hope this solution helps other users experiencing this problem with IE8.
>
> Good luck!
> Dave

Re: IE8 Cannot Display Page with Norton Internet Security
[Forwarded to Windows Mail newsgroup for additional exposure.]

OneDave wrote:
> I researched the forums and found numerous references to this problem, and
> then found a solution for the special case when Norton Internet Security
> (NIS) is installed on a Windows XP machine.
>
> Two of my XP SP3 machines recently started getting the IE8 error message
> of
> Cannot Display Web Page. The offered Diagnose Connection Problems button
> revealed no connectivity problem. Using ping, etc., I isolated the
> problem
> to IE8. After working for an hour with Microsoft IE8 on the phone, we
> determined that NIS was blocking IE8.
>
> It turns out that IE8 was installed on these machines, replacing IE7, when
> they already had NIS installed and running. In essence, NIS was seeing
> the
> new upgrade IE8 as malware and blocking it.
>
> I worked with Symantec on the phone. They helped me uninstall NIS and
> then
> run the Norton Removal Tool. After that, we re-installed NIS and the
> problem was gone.
>
> I hope this solution helps other users experiencing this problem with IE8.
>
> Good luck!
> Dave

OneDave

Re: IE8 Cannot Display Page with Norton Internet Security
I stumbled around in the communities for an hour or so without seeing this
specific solution. Lots of good questions and advice from PA Bear, but not
this case. Perhaps my entry will be discovered by some other equally lost
soul.
--
Thanks
Dave

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> I'm glad your problem is solved, however, the solution you discovered
> has been around since the advent of software firewalls.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> OneDave wrote:
> > I researched the forums and found numerous references to this problem, and
> > then found a solution for the special case when Norton Internet Security
> > (NIS) is installed on a Windows XP machine.
> >
> > Two of my XP SP3 machines recently started getting the IE8 error message of
> > Cannot Display Web Page. The offered Diagnose Connection Problems button
> > revealed no connectivity problem. Using ping, etc., I isolated the problem
> > to IE8. After working for an hour with Microsoft IE8 on the phone, we
> > determined that NIS was blocking IE8.
> >
> > It turns out that IE8 was installed on these machines, replacing IE7, when
> > they already had NIS installed and running. In essence, NIS was seeing the
> > new upgrade IE8 as malware and blocking it.
> >
> > I worked with Symantec on the phone. They helped me uninstall NIS and then
> > run the Norton Removal Tool. After that, we re-installed NIS and the problem
> > was gone.
> >
> > I hope this solution helps other users experiencing this problem with IE8.
> >
> > Good luck!
> > Dave

terry noffsinger

Re: IE8 Cannot Display Page with Norton Internet Security
tytytytyttyttyty
> [Forwarded to Windows Mail newsgroup for additional exposure.]
>
> OneDave wrote:
>> I researched the forums and found numerous references to this problem,
>> and
>> then found a solution for the special case when Norton Internet Security
>> (NIS) is installed on a Windows XP machine.
>>
>> Two of my XP SP3 machines recently started getting the IE8 error message
>> of
>> Cannot Display Web Page. The offered Diagnose Connection Problems button
>> revealed no connectivity problem. Using ping, etc., I isolated the
>> problem
>> to IE8. After working for an hour with Microsoft IE8 on the phone, we
>> determined that NIS was blocking IE8.
>>
>> It turns out that IE8 was installed on these machines, replacing IE7,
>> when
>> they already had NIS installed and running. In essence, NIS was seeing
>> the
>> new upgrade IE8 as malware and blocking it.
>>
>> I worked with Symantec on the phone. They helped me uninstall NIS and
>> then
>> run the Norton Removal Tool. After that, we re-installed NIS and the
>> problem was gone.
>>
>> I hope this solution helps other users experiencing this problem with
>> IE8.
>>
>> Good luck!
>> Dave

Re: IE8 Cannot Display Page with Norton Internet Security
<gesundheit>